cannastop

WONKA WEEKEND THREAD | $39 million OW for WONKA | Timothee supremacy has arrived!

4 minutes ago, joselowe said:

So Wonka’s opening was less than The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes in the US, despite having a bigger budget and a bigger star in the lead with both films being prequels to popular novels/films. 

oprah-yikes.gif

You’ve got some wacky agenda going on.

Wonka is tailor-made for holiday legs. I’ve got people in generations older and younger than me planning Xmas/NYE weekend viewings for this. And I’m not sure why Wonka and Hunger Games even need comparing, both will end their runs as unequivocal successes

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'm honestly easy to please when it comes to blockbusters, but the subpar CGI coupled with Ezra's punchable face distracted me way too often throughout the movie. I think it's actually the first time bad CGI in a blockbuster took me out of it, I'm usually very forgiving.

It's hard for me to be objective about the story itself, although I suppose it mostly worked, but I'll say the very ending was a bit mid. Even if the CGI was great and Ezra wasn't an asshole, I'm not sure how much more praise it would be getting.

Its funny movies like transformers 3 and dead mans  chest have better cgi then current films. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Its funny movies like transformers 3 and dead mans  chest have better cgi then current films. 

Davy Jones IMO is still the industry standard bearer. It’s incredible the level of texture, individual animations, the lighting, and how the mocap captured Bill Night’s expressions

• Like 8

By finishing #2, HG-BOSS is gonna win the "which live action film gets held over the most" this Xmas holiday.

Trolls, now being above Wish (and being another Universal product) has won the "which animated film gets held over the most" this Xmas holiday.  I expect Universal to allow theaters to not schedule any more Migration showings to give them to Trolls if there's a crunch.

We'll see if Disney has the power to keep Wish in theaters, which I expect would be the 3rd most held.

I expect everything else to fall off en masse, although Godzilla now has the best shot to keep something, with Heron's big drop...

55 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not sure I want to open this can of worms, but I really, really liked The Flash. Visual effects aside, I thought the screenplay was really solid. 

There is a really compelling movie about Barry fighting his demons and coming to terms with his mother's death in there, but unfortunately the movie looks atrocious, is too distracted with a bland multiverse story, and utterly collapses with one of the worst third acts I've ever seen on film. Even the first Wonder Woman movie's final battle looks like the Snyder Cut's when compared to what The Flash offers.

Anyway, I'm disappointed Wonka didn't hit $40M in the end, but this is still a good number overall. I don't see another Jumanji or Greatest Showman in it like so many do, but it's more than enough of a good movie to hit at least $160M or so. If The Colour Purple wasn't shaping up to be a breakout in America $200M would be a decent possibility. Thankfully it's been doing very well overseas so that should make up for any potential domestic shortcomings.

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wonka is destined for a brilliant run but domestic and OS. What does it need to hit Top 5 WW?

For the top 5 , it needs to outgross Fast X at 704,7M . I don't think the movie will surpass this at this point  . But the top 10 , for sure , it needs to outgross Transformers 6 at 439M .

9 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There is a really compelling movie about Barry fighting his demons and coming to terms with his mother's death in there, but unfortunately the movie looks atrocious, is too distracted with a bland multiverse story, and utterly collapses with one of the worst third acts I've ever seen on film. Even the first Wonder Woman movie's final battle looks like the Snyder Cut's when compared to what The Flash offers.

Anyway, I'm disappointed Wonka didn't hit $40M in the end, but this is still a good number overall. I don't see another Jumanji or Greatest Showman in it like so many do, but it's more than enough of a good movie to hit at least $160M or so. If The Colour Purple wasn't shaping up to be a breakout in America $200M would be a decent possibility. Thankfully it's been doing very well overseas so that should make up for any potential domestic shortcomings.

Color Purple is not going to hurt Wonka. The target audiences are different. No more needs to be said then that. Wonka will clear 160 easily.