Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

2 hours ago, Borobudur said:

It is sad to see we are still waiting for a new movie to pass 100m on the Boxing Day. There hasn't been one since HG prequel.    

Wonka and Trolls will also be so close to join 100M club after Boxing Day. Migration/TCP/Aquaman also strong chances to become 100M+ grossers. Not that bad.

This December reminds me a lot to 2010 & 2011. Neither had a huge tentpole but still had some healthy runs. Both years also had no new 100M grossers by Boxing Day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

That would just mean TCP didn't receive Tuesday discount boost (unlike other movies). It isn't really a explanation for Tuesday gross.

That said, I didn't know Tuesday discount didn't apply to TCP. Is it due to the premier being Monday?

It means relatively the tickets are more expensive than other films and people might thus choose other films to watch specifically on Tuesday. Hence maybe TCP's Wed will drop less than other films.

Yes it just opened so didnt have discounts in many places.

2 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I don't understand this narrative where The little mermaid did well but Mission Impossible DR P1, which had the exact same WW gross and roughly the same budget (TLM's 250 M is a low estimate) was an epic bomb. Both were disappointments coming from 1B expectation and both didn't earn well enough to recoup their budget (Though TLM was expected to break even with ancillaries like toy sales, but it should be verified if that was actually the case since, as far as I know, the international merch sales were disastrous).  

They didn't totally collapse and earned well enough for the theatres chains which is a great thing in itself though.

It's a biased narrative. All of them did poorly. TLM was expected to make similar numbers to Aladdin. Even if you take into calculation that the original movie was the lowest grossing of the revivial cartoons, it should have made over 700M minimum. It couldn't even reach 600M (breakeven point was 625M due to 250M budget). OS completely rejected it. MI7 had no business flopping even worse than that unnecessary mediocre remake cause it came after the acclaimed predecessor and it received acclaim as well. Yet the date killed it. It ran away from Indiana Jones, which bombed, right into the hands of Barbenheimer which completely buried it. So none of them came out profitable and smelling like roses as far as boxoffice itself goes. Cope about streaming (TLM dropped after only 1 week at #1 on D+ casue Elemental destroyed it, not sure about MI7 on Paramount +) and toys is irrelevant to theatrical disappointment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

So Migration has already made 2x its opening weekend after just 2 weekdays, amazing. Can it reach a 10x multi?

It's the joy of being the only animated and the only movie truly catering to the under 10s at Christmas...

PS - It also caters to the teen kid crowd that just digs kid movie material...as my daughter said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying something happy, bright, and fun.  Yes, she loved Clifford. too...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

So Migration has already made 2x its opening weekend after just 2 weekdays, amazing. Can it reach a 10x multi?

The question will be how long it can hold onto 3000+ theaters. Puss was able to through mid Feb but Ferdinand got dropped in mid Jan. Doesn't seem to be any paddington 2 sort of competition this year though.

When I first heard that the color purple was being remade, I thought we would see similar numbers to West side story. I didn't really know who was going to appeal to besides one demographic. So when I see these incredibly fantastic numbers being reported, it reminds me of how much the Fanboys overreact to everything. The only reason why you guys are disappointed with the numbers is because there's some astronomical tracking numbers that came out. If tracking hadn't existed, and this movie actually does get to 100 million I think people will be doing backflips for it. But now disappointment is setting in because the numbers were false when tracking came out and that's going to diminish the color purple's final gross. Even though it shouldn't. 

I'm just a fringe box office follower now but if you would have told me a month ago at the color purple has a chance to make $100 million domestic and say 200 million worldwide I would have said those who have been fantastic numbers.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

It means relatively the tickets are more expensive than other films and people might thus choose other films to watch specifically on Tuesday. Hence maybe TCP's Wed will drop less than other films.

Yes it just opened so didnt have discounts in many places.

I think that TCP is Potter/Marvel for church people hence massive OD. Superfans always behave like that, must see their thing the opening day hence frontloadedness. It will be fine like franchise movies. Nothing unsual here.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Iron Claw is some good stuff. Hoping Efron can sneak into that 5th spot Best Actor nomination, even though I wouldn’t bet on it happening.

Hope more people turn out for it. Would love to see 30M+ for it.

We loved it except for one casting choice and you probably know which one I'm talking about.  It's later in the movie.  Aside from that it's a good movie, the rest of the casting was great, acting was great...  all of it.   Efron deserves some recognition. 

4 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

I don't understand this narrative where The little mermaid did well but Mission Impossible DR P1, which had the exact same WW gross and roughly the same budget (TLM's 250 M is a low estimate) was an epic bomb. Both were disappointments coming from 1B expectation and both didn't earn well enough to recoup their budget (Though TLM was expected to break even with ancillaries like toy sales, but it should be verified if that was actually the case since, as far as I know, the international merch sales were disastrous).  

They didn't totally collapse and earned well enough for the theatres chains which is a great thing in itself though.

Expectations for MI7 was higher than TLM (at least on this forum). They were both disappointments at the end of the day 

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I just see a video mentioning The Boys in the Boat main demographic is women. Is that true?

girls like their boats

13 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

After now watching Saltburn, they definitely fucked yo this release. It should have been a slow burn expansion. Now that everyone is watching it on Prime, it’s all over Twitter. They went too wide too fast and didn’t give it room the breathe to get the discourse going.

But this got me confused then why didn't the first wide release weekend opened higher. It had a big PTA during its limited release but collapse to just 2.9m 5-days OW. 

I know this isn’t a 1:1 comparison with varying factors but Aquaman 2 should be doing about $120M+ Dom even with its worse reception. I’m guessing a similar trajectory to Bumblebee would have it somewhere around $85M by New Year’s Day. 

Bumblebee of course ended with like a 6x multi, I doubt Aquaman 2 would get that high, but it is likely doing more than 4x.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

It's a biased narrative. All of them did poorly. TLM was expected to make similar numbers to Aladdin. Even if you take into calculation that the original movie was the lowest grossing of the revivial cartoons, it should have made over 700M minimum. It couldn't even reach 600M (breakeven point was 625M due to 250M budget). OS completely rejected it. MI7 had no business flopping even worse than that unnecessary mediocre remake cause it came after the acclaimed predecessor and it received acclaim as well. Yet the date killed it. It ran away from Indiana Jones, which bombed, right into the hands of Barbenheimer which completely buried it. So none of them came out profitable and smelling like roses as far as boxoffice itself goes. Cope about streaming (TLM dropped after only 1 week at #1 on D+ casue Elemental destroyed it, not sure about MI7 on Paramount +) and toys is irrelevant to theatrical disappointment. 

LMAO where's that 700M figure pulled out of? Like what calculation takes into account the "smaller" BatB animated film having a higher grossing live action remake than the bigger Aladdin to apply to TLM on a 1:1 basis? 

Anyways TLM's DOM heavy performance gives it higher returns vs. MI. And as for toys being irrelevant, tell that to the Cars franchise where they just kept making films to churn out merchandise until they found out they didn't need the movies at all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

But this got me confused then why didn't the first wide release weekend opened higher. It had a big PTA during its limited release but collapse to just 2.9m 5-days OW. 

They didn’t let WOM build long enough. It’s small drops in subsequent weeks shows that WOM and interest were building, but by that point many places already were dropping it because of the low open. It would have benefitted from a full platform release - 10, then 50, then 200, then 500, then 1000, etc. 

It opened way too wide over a crowded holiday weekend when most people had still heard nothing about it at that point. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It's a niche movie. Quite frankly it becoming an instant cult classic on streaming was pretty easy to see coming after seeing it.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Title your movie Elvis, women take it to over 150M boxoffice. Title your movie Priscilla, it tops out at 20M give or take. :Gaga:

For some reason this reminded me of the quote from Jaws LOL

You make a movie called Priscilla everyone goes hunh what?

You make elvis, and we got a panic on our hands on the 4th of July.