Eric Prime

Han and Eric's Doom and Gloom/Controversial Predictions of 2024

October 4

Joker: Folie a Deux: Superhero movies are dead...this will be the exception. Regardless on how you felt about it, Joker was loved by the public and the inclusion of Harley Quinn and the immense starpower of Lady Gaga is already getting superhero fans and casual moviegoers interested. If the musical angle sells and Gaga delivers a hit on the radio charts, we’re gonna be smooth sailing. This will gross on par with the last movie. Might even increase when all is said and done. The hype is real. 115/350 (3.04x)

White Bird: This has like...5 delays? And like two trailers for old release dates? This says all you need to know. 8/36 (4x)

• Like 1

October 18

Smile 2: People liked the first Smile, but I can't imagine what new hook you can do with such a basic concept as this. All I can think is just doing the same movie again, which...well, that's not good for anybody. Bigger opening, way weaker legs. 30/90 (3x)

October 25

Terrifier 3: It should gross above Terrifier 2, but probably not that much. This franchise will always be a bit too gruesome and too much for some people. Even compared to something like Saw. 8/16 (2x)

Wolf Man: Invisible Man aside, Universal has struck out time and time and time again with bringing their classic monsters back to the big screen. Whannell is directing, though Ryan Gosling dropping out does seem like a detriment. This all really depends on just what hook this movie has, which nobody knows about right now. So...let's assume it's a strike out. It's easier to just expect the worst out of life, so you're never disappointed. 13/37 (2.85x)

1 hour ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

October 25

Terrifier 3: It should gross above Terrifier 2, but probably not that much. This franchise will always be a bit too gruesome and too much for some people. Even compared to something like Saw. 8/16 (2x)

Wolf Man: Invisible Man aside, Universal has struck out time and time and time again with bringing their classic monsters back to the big screen. Whannell is directing, though Ryan Gosling dropping out does seem like a detriment. This all really depends on just what hook this movie has, which nobody knows about right now. So...let's assume it's a strike out. It's easier to just expect the worst out of life, so you're never disappointed. 13/37 (2.85x)

I'd definitely call that a win for Terrifier 3. I'm a hardened Saw fan, but some of the things in the first two movies turned my stomach for sure. Amazing make up and effects work, can't wait to see what they can do with a bigger budget. 

On 1/2/2024 at 5:12 PM, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

September 6

Beetlejuice 2: I have zero faith in Tim Burton putting out a good movie here. However, Beetlejuice is one of his most iconic features, the stage musical has introduced tons of new fans, and Jenna Ortega’s starpower will also be of help too. Plus Fandango and Quorum already show that the hype is heavy to see the franchise return. I don’t see the extra super massive breakout some users are expecting, but this should be a comfortably-sized big hit through the fall holidays. 110/265 (2.41x)

.... $110 OW? What?

• Haha 1

Idk if Beetlejuice 2 will open with that high of an amount. I can see it succeeding with the spot it's in. Summer-weary moviegoers might see it just to mentally ready themselves for Fall/Halloween.

If it couldn't be placed in October, September is probably the next best month.

Edit: Just now noticed the posted amount. There's no way in hell.

Edited by NoobSaibot

On 12/28/2023 at 3:33 PM, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

This month still sucks though. Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead to be honest.

I see your back on the doomer train again. That's not healthy

Edited by Reddroast

12 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I see your back on the doomer train again. That's not healthy

Spoiler

Would you believe me if I told you this is a bit and that I'm going to actually have something more meaningful to say when I wrap this whole thing up?

• Astonished 1

November 8

The Amateur: Not a nostalgic toy commercial. You already know what time it is. 9/30 (3.33x)

Venom 3: Superhero movies are dead. However, Venom’s still big enough of a character that he can whether the storm a lot easier than most superhero characters can. But expect a huge decrease either way. 55/145 (2.64x)

• Knock It Off 1

November 22

Gladiator 2: People love Gladiator, but Ridley’s been so inconsistent for decades that I have doubts Ridley Scott really made a banger. Or at least one that will serve as a crowdpleaser. So I’m gonna be pessimistic compared to a lot of the higher expectations, but it should cross the century mark quite easily. 50/125 (2.5x)

• Like 1

November 27

Untitled Disney Animation Movie: Apparently it’s either Zootopia 2 or an original movie. If it’s Zootopia 2, expect a huge hit, because it's a nostalgic toy commercial. If it’s an original movie, then bombs away.

Wicked Part 1: It’s not as big as it used to be, but the original musical still brings in the crowds and Ariana’s presence, alongside the rest of the cast, will get the stans excited. Hell, some of the Ariana/Ethan Slater drama is (sadly) free publicity when you think about it. Jon Chu’s been making solid, crowdpleasing hits lately, and I see little reason to expect otherwise Still dumb this is a part 1, and that is definitely the biggest thing hurting the film’s chances to go above 200M or something, but at least it should be a solid success story. Do the typical high-end numbers musicals do. 50/65/170 (3.4x)

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Zootopia 2 is a bomb waiting to happen unless they came up with some incredible idea for it. Absolutely no one asked for it and it’s not even the type of movie that lends itself to nostalgia or hype for a franchise, despite the success of the first at the time. Maybe China goes crazy for it again, that’s about it. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it exists solely for China tbh and to promote the newly opened Zootopia land in Shanghai. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

November 22

Gladiator 2: People love Gladiator, but Ridley’s been so inconsistent for decades that I have doubts Ridley Scott really made a banger. Or at least one that will serve as a crowdpleaser. So I’m gonna be pessimistic compared to a lot of the higher expectations, but it should cross the century mark quite easily. 50/125 (2.5x)

Until proven wrong in November, I will maintain that this film will be underwhelming (critically and commercially). Ridley Scott has been very hit-or-miss, and lately he’s been more miss than hit. His output depends heavily on the script, and Gladiator 2 is written by the same guy who wrote Napoleon, so it’s already starting off on the wrong foot.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Zootopia 2 is a bomb waiting to happen unless they came up with some incredible idea for it. Absolutely no one asked for it

This is @cannastop erasure. :sadno:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2