Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

21 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I saw Anyone But You tonight in a sold out 60 seater. It was cute, but I don’t think it adds anything new to the genre. I guess people were just hungry for a classic rom-com. 

Honestly, at this point I really don't mind having genre movies that do their thing really solidly in an unfancy manner, considering how few of those we get these days anymore. There's nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned ham and cheese sandwich. Hopefully if it legs out past the holidays it'll make more studios consider trying their hand at them again.

Anyway just got back from Ferrari (very good! and I'm not always into Mann!) and checked the late night showtimes at the same theater, and Anyone But You is the only one with more than 8 tickets sold, at 26!

58 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Every movies have a relatively small changes but somehow they shed 800+ locations from HG: BOSS. So there are managers out there thinking BOSS isn't holding as good as it is. 

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes Lionsgate 1,660 2,509 -849

Since The Numbers and BOR haven't reported any Hunger Games numbers since the weekend other than that Christmas Day estimate, I'm guessing most of the theater losses happened on Monday, due to smaller multiplexes that decided to just clear out all November releases for 2 or 3 of the Xmas Day openers. Considering it's still reportedly making over $1 million a day, I'm guessing the theaters that kept it will continue to hold onto it for at least two more weeks, opting to drop Trolls or Wish if they need to make room for Night Swim. 

• Like 4

Streamers are getting annoying for people too tbh. Outside Netflix, which still dominates the American market, the rising cost and sheer number of streaming services is something people talk about alot. This creates an opportunity for theatrical exhibition. But theatrical exhibition has to meet the market halfway - a small drop in ticket and concession prices, less ads and less time in the theater, and a few other upgrades to the moviegoing experience (I'm sure the smart people here have ideas). It'd also help if studios slightly increased the volume and quality of their product. These next couple years will be essential for theatrical - either they rebuild the market and take advantage of lower inflation and distance from COVID, or we start heading towards a totally blah $6 billion a year range.

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

I've gotten the sense it's mostly twitter activists who otherwise have zero knowledge about how the business works seizing on an angle to stir up their followers.

Nah, they know exactly what they're doing but feigning outrage gets them engagement while the people attempting to correct in good faith are just yelling into the void. 

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

Since The Numbers and BOR haven't reported any Hunger Games numbers since the weekend other than that Christmas Day estimate, I'm guessing most of the theater losses happened on Monday, due to smaller multiplexes that decided to just clear out all November releases for 2 or 3 of the Xmas Day openers. Considering it's still reportedly making over $1 million a day, I'm guessing the theaters that kept it will continue to hold onto it for at least two more weeks, opting to drop Trolls or Wish if they need to make room for Night Swim. 

That would makes sense too because HG: BOSS only increase 50%-ish on Christmas Day, far lower than 100% increase that we saw with those movies that were unaffected by the theater counts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

there really isn’t much gas left in the tank but the hold is good enough to make me think that maybe beating paw patrol is possible after all

I didn’t think there was anyway it was getting to 60 based on Strange World’s trajectory, but I forgot they rushed that to D+ 

The thing is The Color Purple crawling to 100M still isn't going to make it a hit because the overseas numbers will be bad. That 100M budget is insane for a film the had poor international prospects. 

7 minutes ago, Zak said:

The thing is The Color Purple crawling to 100M still isn't going to make it a hit because the overseas numbers will be bad. That 100M budget is insane for a film the had poor international prospects. 

yeah i'm surprised at the budget. At least you're not sure to make 200M+ domestic that's a crazy budget. 

And you have to promote it like a multi targeted movie for that. Sadly often studios are more interested to feed the online discussion than actually making what's better to make a movie appealing for people in the real workd buying tickets. 

I mean see Elvis, that's a symbol of the 50s era of white america but they made a soundtrack with hip hop remixes and they called Doja Cat for the original song. I don't think if with Alicia Keys and H.E.R you call also some white artist cool for white older audiences (i don't know, bruce springsteen to tell one name?) the movie would have been less about black excellence. Who cares about annoying people on Twitter, do everything you can to push your movie. 

34 minutes ago, Zak said:

I was really surprised for the 90M-100M budget.

I guess they really have good expectatives for the movie in USA, but it seems they didn't notice the limited appeal (only 18% under 25 years old).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

TCPs holds are really really bad, just no way around it. For all the flack some got for bringing up Ali as a comp (which I also thought didn’t make sense) it’s actually on track to do even worse than that now for OD multi. So I guess this Black demographic led super frontloaded CD opener is officially a thing now for future ref? 

I do have to wonder if the musical element is hurting both TCP and Wonka a bit. I feel like more people I know are coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden to act like musicals are the bane of existence than I’ve ever seen before. 

It's not that musicals are bad, it's that people were misled by the marketing. If I went to a horror movie assuming in the trailers I was in for a regular normal gorefest or a supernatural fright fest or however it was that they advertise it and then Jason voorhees starts singing and his victims start dancing I'd be livid and I would tell people not to go see the movie no matter how good it was.

I think if you're disingenuous to the audience that you're seeking and you're too afraid to market your moving the way it's supposed to be marketed then don't make it that way. Or what they should have done in the first place is let everyone know that these movies are musicals. Then at least people know what they're getting themselves into and they're not shocked when they sit down in theater and see something they werent expecting to see.

Completely anecdotal here, I realize this, but my brother and  four nieces saw Wonka and when I asked my brother about it he said it was good but he had no idea it was a musical and if he knew that it was he probably wouldn't have gone.

Maybe this is the kind of word of mouth that is spreading right now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's not that musicals are bad, it's that people were misled by the marketing. If I went to a horror movie assuming in the trailers I was in for a regular normal gorefest or a supernatural fright fest or however it was that they advertise it and then Jason voorhees starts singing and his victims start dancing I'd be livid and I would tell people not to go see the movie no matter how good it was.

I think if you're disingenuous to the audience that you're seeking and you're too afraid to market your moving the way it's supposed to be marketed then don't make it that way. Or what they should have done in the first place is let everyone know that these movies are musicals. Then at least people know what they're getting themselves into and they're not shocked when they sit down in theater and see something they werent expecting to see.

Completely anecdotal here, I realize this, but my brother and  four nieces saw Wonka and when I asked my brother about it he said it was good but he had no idea it was a musical and if he knew that it was he probably wouldn't have gone.

Maybe this is the kind of word of mouth that is spreading right now.

Well, "it's a good movie but I didn't know it's a musical" isn't bad WOM.

That anecdotal example would show that WB's decision to not promote Wonka as a musical was a good decision. After all, your brother only went to see Wonka because he didn't know it was a musical.

In fact, your brother seem to like Wonka, so WB being disingenuous doesn't affect him negatively.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

All audience metrics for the Colour purple were good, so i don't think being a musical is a problem or people felt tricked (that probably counted more for Wonka and its A- cinemascore and not an A).

Seems like people were aware about It. The fact is a music could impact in general and some people are not interested for that, not It's a problem for the WOM right now.

Anyways i think Yesterday It just played like a normal adult movie. The drop from day 1 Is harsh but still 4M wednesday is not bad in general if you don't compare it with the opening day.

We need to wait how It plays in this weekend. If It's an adult movie just plays good on saturdays and sundays. If next weekend is disappoing too than this means the WOM outside of Its target Is weak. 

Edited by vale9001

I just think TCP is similar to Swift or Freddy. It has its audience but very little chance to attract anyone outside of that group.

And 90-100M budget is crazy. Under 30M OS likely so even if they kept marketing+distribution around 30-40M they'll have problems to cover that budget.

Not sure y'all are familiar with Mark, but he's a German box office tracker and a pretty reliable source for early numbers (if he wants to share):

As you can probably guess #2 is Migration and #4 is Color Purple...#5 is Anyone But You, which somehow enjoyed a fourth daily increase.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1