Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I think we already know that.

We can just hope Anyone But You can mantain its legs for a while.

the question is though? Why? Back then you only had tv and radio ads and WOM could only be already by your close family and friends. Now we have social media that can be used to create far more awareness for a film and people able to easily text or message anyone being able to spread word about a certain film, yet less people go to the movies. 

Just now, John Marston said:

the question is though? Why? Back then you only had tv and radio ads and WOM could only be already by your close family and friends. Now we have social media that can be used to create far more awareness for a film and people able to easily text or message anyone being able to spread word about a certain film, yet less people go to the movies. 

Needless to say, the way we consume media in 2024 is a lot different than the way we did in 2003. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You also had less options then though. There was on-demand but that was for movies which were no longer in theaters and cost like 20$ per movie. The internet was in its infancy for movie streaming, Realplayer was the internet standard at the time. TiVo was just starting it's emergence so people needed to watch things when the TV programmers decided. Going to the movies was the primary entertainment option in a way it's not anymore.

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Color Purple being "horror movie with a gimmicky release date" levels of frontloaded is something I don't think anyone saw coming before it was released. Definitely turned into quite a disappointing run after appearing so strong out the gate.

The strong boost for the first day was due to the crowding of TCP fans, but it doesn't seem to have find an audience outside that group.

Edited by Kon

52 minutes ago, TMP said:

Glen Powell is the guy that Hollywood thought Chris Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt was. Praying he doesn't get sucked into the superhero vortex, since I feel like he has the it factor to be the first new leading man in... forever?

Me and @CoolioD1 were beefing this Christmas over our faves, but now both our babies have become leading men and #Draws. Good for you Coolio. I'm happy for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It does suck to see this frontloading happen to Color Purple (hoping to catch it today or in the next few days), but they were also doing that Pay It Forward BS where the box office was artificially inflated by people "buying" tickets for other people, so...I guess it's kind of good karma when you think about it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

It does suck to see this frontloading happen to Color Purple (hoping to catch it today or in the next few days), but they were also doing that Pay It Forward BS where the box office was artificially inflated by people "buying" tickets for other people, so...I guess it's kind of good karma when you think about it.

I was surprised we didn’t hear more about that. I read it in a few passing comments, but it didn’t stir up the same level of discussion we had earlier this summer.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Glen Powell is the guy that Hollywood thought Chris Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt was. Praying he doesn't get sucked into the superhero vortex, since I feel like he has the it factor to be the first new leading man in... forever?

I know Netflix has a bottomless pit of cash that they can throw at indie movie producers to pick them up, but I have to imagine every theatrical distributor that passed on Hit Man is kicking themselves right now. Imagine that movie releasing on a quiet March/April weekend, could have been such easy money.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JonathanMB said:

I know Netflix has a bottomless pit of cash that they can throw at indie movie producers to pick them up, but I have to imagine every theatrical distributor that passed on Hit Man is kicking themselves right now. Imagine that movie releasing on a quiet March/April weekend, could have been such easy money.

Honestly, I hope HitMan is a huge hit for Netflix. And I hope the studios hate themselves for it. They need to hurt for passing up on mid-budget films. We need more of those theatrically. If HitMan helps us get there, I’m all for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

I don't understand why WB completely dumped this movie. They should have at least released the first trailer with Barbie

They though it would be completely rejected due to bad test screenings. I suspect they think if The Flash that had amazing test screenings and a huge marketing campaign fail that big, Aquaman will be the biggest disaster ever so why bother promoting it. 

But in the end, despite equal CS reception on US feels better (maybe because nobody expects anything) and is definitely better OS. 

It stills seems on track to 400M globally, maybe it would’ve fight for +500M if they put an effort but it is what it is.

20 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

At least overseas studios are picking it … it will be released theatrically here in Brazil on May. 

Seems like it’ll be on Netflix only on US which sucks

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how ABY holds up with Mean Girls opening over the 4-day frame next weekend. Though one's R while the other is PG-13 (and also certain to be frontloaded).

The Beekeeper will do okay, I guess. Book of Clarence seems like it's being dumped though, and Disney's doing nothing to promote the Soul theatrical release, so expect pennies there.

I did overestimate how much Wonka would do after opening weekend but still very pleased with these results. 

Not much to say about Night Swim other than this seems like accurate results for a movie about a haunted swimming pool (how the hell did it cost more than M3GAN?)

• Like 1

Kerry Condon going from The Banshees of Inisherin (Oscar nomination + winning at BAFTA) to Night Swim within the span of a year feels like one of more obvious examples in a while of the notion that there really are only so many projects and parts in this industry. 

1 hour ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Me and @CoolioD1 were beefing this Christmas over our faves, but now both our babies have become leading men and #Draws. Good for you Coolio. I'm happy for you.

I should start the Twisters over Dune 2 thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

44 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Netflix Presents: The Killer vs The Hit Man: Dawn of Literally Me

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I was surprised we didn’t hear more about that. I read it in a few passing comments, but it didn’t stir up the same level of discussion we had earlier this summer.

Well, the comparison would be a very awkward one