filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Barbie was absolutely a frontrunner until the academy just decided it wasn’t suddenly. That’s literally the entire point of the outrage 

The outrage is stupid. It still got a bunch of nominations, was a huge box office hit, and has assuredly boosted the profiles of every person involved. Be happy with what it's gotten and move on.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Still haven’t seen barbie, but the “gosling getting nominated and not gerwig or robbie proves the message of the film was correct” must be the stupidest award discourse ever. 

Thats classic social media for ya.  BARBIE is on Max and I got distracted about an hour in and never went back to finish it, just don't care enough.  Nothing against it at all, its just not for me(which is fine, Hollywood!).  I get why it was such a smash hit though, it tapped into an under-served market because its a movie about a woman for women which is exceedingly rare in current year Hollywood where every lead role is written like its gender neutral because studios have seemingly adopted this mantra that there are no longer target audiences outside of certain genres like horror - everything must appeal to everyone, everywhere, at all times. 

Anyways, if the Academy knows whats best for them they'd give everything to Oppenheimer in order to postpone their slide into cultural irrelevancy.  Not since Lord of the Rings and Gladiator do they have an opportunity to award a film that is a perfect marriage of art and commercial success instead of some obscure depressing shit 12 people saw and will be completely forgotten 3 months after the Awards ceremony.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's not that Barbie is being 'targeted' in particular but if you want to see the male bias among the Academy then just see the difference between the performances of the two Netflix films, Maestro and May December. Both are featuring respected talent and MD was better received by critics but for some reason the Academy chose Maestro for the big noms (I'm glad they didn't give Cooper a BD nom at least)

Ditto for Past Lives and Celine Song/Greta Lee missing out on BD and BA. I haven't seen The Color Purple and I know it's of a more contentious quality but seeing how a lesser critically favored film like Maestro has gotten recognition, don't see why TCP couldn't have received more accolades as well.

Outside of Oppenheimer, this could have been a completely female dominated year if the Academy had chosen to. And let's not even get into the bias against animated films.

This pretty much sums it all up perfectly imo.

I'm not gonna deny the Oscar body carries a certain bias, but there's always something that gets in more on the strength of reputation. Maestro did have a lot of big names on the producing side of things compared to May December. 

I definitely think what momentum TCP might've had was hurt by the stigma of its box office run. That does seem like the kind of movie that really needs to appeal to the masses to get awards attention.

Edited by AniNate

How funny the backlash about Greta was snubbed when this is her third movie in a row that got best picture nomination, totally forgetting the fact that neither the star of the black panther, Dune and top gun, nor their directors are nominated in their respective year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Why are we pitting Poor Things against Barbie like those were the only 2 options fighting for one spot? There were other movies which similarly weren't playing well overseas which could have gone out for Gerwig. There is nothing preventing them from recognizing both movies.

They did recognize both movies, Poor Things had 11 nominations and Barbie had 8. If the question is why Gerwig didn't make it in director, I think they just liked all the other nominees better, she still got nominated in screenplay.

• Like 2

Those 4 lead acting noms for Netflix bait really breaks my brain. I thought they weren't gonna go as hard as SAG on them but alas. The acting branch really is the worst at picking its own nominees almost every year. I get Maestro was the big bait of they year and got many noms, but Margot Robbie and Greta Lee getting snubbed for Anette Benning playing Donald Trump lookalike is pretty tragic. 

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'm not gonna deny the Oscar body carries a certain bias, but there's always something that gets in more on the strength of reputation. Maestro did have a lot of big names on the producing side of things compared to May December. 

I definitely think what momentum TCP might've had was hurt by the stigma of its box office run. That does seem like the kind of movie that really needs to appeal to the masses to get awards attention.

Maestro is about Bernstein. It needed to be a total critical bust not to get in. Heck, critical bust Blonde got DeArmas in cause she played MM. Biopics have always been and always will be in AMPAS wheelhouse. Always. The only bias here is that one - love for biopics. 

TCP's biggest problem was being a remake of an iconic movie with iconic performances. As such, it needed to be just as good or better than the original. It was neither. And then it flopped. And then at least one cast member trashed the production. Why would you vote for a middling movie that its cast didn't enjoy making? 

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Thats classic social media for ya.  BARBIE is on Max and I got distracted about an hour in and never went back to finish it, just don't care enough.  Nothing against it at all, its just not for me(which is fine, Hollywood!).  I get why it was such a smash hit though, it tapped into an under-served market because its a movie about a woman for women which is exceedingly rare in current year Hollywood where every lead role is written like its gender neutral because studios have seemingly adopted this mantra that there are no longer target audiences outside of certain genres like horror - everything must appeal to everyone, everywhere, at all times. 

Anyways, if the Academy knows whats best for them they'd give everything to Oppenheimer in order to postpone their slide into cultural irrelevancy.  Not since Lord of the Rings and Gladiator do they have an opportunity to award a film that is a perfect marriage of art and commercial success instead of some obscure depressing shit 12 people saw and will be completely forgotten 3 months after the Awards ceremony.

If Nolan was snubbed outrage would be even worse. It was just as bad when Villeneuve was snubbed. The only difference is that in this case the outragers appeal to emotion with accusations of sexism while in Villeneuve and Nolan case they had to stick with the absurdity of denying such achievements their dues. So yes, social media lives for outrage and every awards season has it cause someone gets left out. It's just about what context will be given to rile up as many people as possible. I honestly have a feeling that some people just want to be outraged all the time and that they are currently happier that snubs happened so that they could go on with their conspiracy theories about how and why it happened. 

It's been 20 years since a true blockbuster won Picture. So yes, give it to the behemoth. 

Edited by Valonqar

21 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Those 4 lead acting noms for Netflix bait really breaks my brain. I thought they weren't gonna go as hard as SAG on them but alas. The acting branch really is the worst at picking its own nominees almost every year. I get Maestro was the big bait of they year and got many noms, but Margot Robbie and Greta Lee getting snubbed for Anette Benning playing Donald Trump lookalike is pretty tragic. 

The irony is, Margot and Greta Lee very likely vote for those classic baits too when they are not competing for the prize (in which case they vote for themselves). 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

The irony is, Margot and Greta Lee very likely vote for those classic baits too when they are not competing for the prize (in which case they vote for themselves). 

"It's the women's fault" -you

• Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

The movie didn't play well with foreign voters (also see BAFTA flop where Gerwig and movie missed) whose % is growing rapidly and thus changing the nomination landscape such as inclusion of more foreign movies in Top 10. And Poor Things as very artsy movie is closer to foreign voters sensibilities than than something like Barbie or other blockbuster that they consider lightweight or too American. They are picked from film-makers not regular audience hence more highbrow tastes.

This is the correct explanation I believe. While foreign audiences may have loved Barbie, the foreign members of the Academy simply didn’t think so. The BAFTA snubs should have been red flags for everyone that Barbie was headed for some resistance from Oscar voters.

Me over here thinking that nothing in Barbie warranted a box office nomination other than production design and maybe script. So I a love Margott so much but my biggest surprise is that this movie faired so good in awards season. Seriously, if you would tell me a year ago that it would get all this recognition I would laugh at you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric George said:

:hahaha: This is gold. This is art. This is incredible.

I'm all for support of Gerwig and Lee should-have-been nominated, but jeez... LET IT GO, Hillary.  

8 minutes ago, Macleod said:

I'm all for support of Gerwig and Lee should-have-been nominated, but jeez... LET IT GO, Hillary.  

Let what go? All she did was send one tweet.

Admittedly the hashtag is kinda cringe and implies she's engagement farming.

• Like 1