LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

Saw ISS.

It's not bad,but never really rises above what you'd expect and has a bit of an anti climatic ending that some of my audience groaned about it. It didn't bother me too much personally.

Cool concept, some decent suspense but just doesn't do anything noteworthy with the initial concept.

6/10

• Like 5

OT: Since this is holdovers weekend, on my 2023 watch list, I watched The Holdovers last night with my spouse who is a sucker for boarding school set movies...

Ummmm, I think the critics and I are not seeing eye to eye.  The movie is slow, it peters out in many places, starting with an idea and never following it.  It seems like it needed 2 rewrites to tighten up what it wanted to be as a movie.  I didn't buy the climax, so I didn't buy the movie.  I wasn't as impressed with the acting (local accents, how do we carry them for a full movie) although while not impressed (b/c I was expecting "nomination caliber"), they were probably the best part of the movie.

I'd give it a C+, and say there are many, many other boarding school set movies from the past that are better than this movie.  I have NO idea how this is supposed to be Top 3 for best picture b/c I don't think it's worthy of a Top 25 list for a year, although I admit in 2023, I'm struggling to find 10 movies still, so my list making may not happen.

And my spouse didn't give it much better (B-) - and since it was his choice to watch this (and he never picks movies), I'm a little sad b/c I wish it was better for him,

Now, I'm scared to watch nominees 4-10...so maybe it's time for Poor Things and Oppy to hit my watch/theatrical list, since they are supposed to be #1-2 in the running, right?  Or maybe the foreign films...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Disney usually waits at least a full two months to make their movies available to watch at home, so the earliest Poor Things will no longer be theatrical exclusive is around Valentine's Day/President's Day weekend. Though they might wait another month until right after the ceremony on 3/10 when the marketplace won't be on life support like it is now.

Fox aquisition saving Disney's face yet again, first AWOW now Poor Things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT: Since this is holdovers weekend, on my 2023 watch list, I watched The Holdovers last night with my spouse who is a sucker for boarding school set movies...

Ummmm, I think the critics and I are not seeing eye to eye.  The movie is slow, it peters out in many places, starting with an idea and never following it.  It seems like it needed 2 rewrites to tighten up what it wanted to be as a movie.  I didn't buy the climax, so I didn't buy the movie.  I wasn't as impressed with the acting (local accents, how do we carry them for a full movie) although while not impressed (b/c I was expecting "nomination caliber"), they were probably the best part of the movie.

I'd give it a C+, and say there are many, many other boarding school set movies from the past that are better than this movie.  I have NO idea how this is supposed to be Top 3 for best picture b/c I don't think it's worthy of a Top 25 list for a year, although I admit in 2023, I'm struggling to find 10 movies still, so my list making may not happen.

And my spouse didn't give it much better (B-) - and since it was his choice to watch this (and he never picks movies), I'm a little sad b/c I wish it was better for him,

Now, I'm scared to watch nominees 4-10...so maybe it's time for Poor Things and Oppy to hit my watch/theatrical list, since they are supposed to be #1-2 in the running, right?  Or maybe the foreign films...

I really loved The Holdovers, I think it's the sort of movie you just need to enjoy the vibe of or you just won't like it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

so maybe it's time for Poor Things and Oppy to hit my watch/theatrical list, since they are supposed to be #1-2 in the running, right?  Or maybe the foreign films...

Heh that's the thing. There's an agreement which movie is #1 in the running but there's no agreement which movie is #2 cause they all miss something. Also, the pecking order is based on what they are sure to win not on the number of nominations. So The Holdovers is more of #2 since it has Supporting Actress locked. The rest are 'what if' though Stone looks more likely as a winner than Gladstone (but not as locked as Randloph) and Barbie is the likeliest SAG Ensemble winner cause it got nominated in Stunts (big surprise there showing lots of support from AFTRA influences, DJs, etc). So I'd say based on what experts and amateur enthusiasists (who are better at this than experts) say, #2 is between The Holdovers (Supporting Actress locked, maybe Actor and Original Script), Anatomy (maybe Original Script), Poor Things (maybe Actress and some techs), American Fiction (maybe Adapated Script and SAG Ensemble) and Barbie (maybe SAG Ensemble,Adapted and some techs). Lots of maybes. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

I don't see how anyone could argue American Fiction or Barbie are #2 in the current frontrunner race based on the way precursors and nominations have gone, and even anatomy of a fall seems sketchy with no big win of note among precursors IIRC..

Edited by JustLurking

39 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I don't see how anyone could argue American Fiction or Barbie are #2 in the current frontrunner race based on the way precursors and nominations have gone, and even anatomy of a fall seems sketchy with no big win of note among precursors IIRC..

Unless BAFTA and PGA bring some shocks, there's no #2 lets be honest. People are too trained to expect splits but nothing feels right as an upset this year.

I feel like this is the year where GG, CC, PGA, BAFTA and Oscar all go to Oppenheimer for best picture. The “cleanest” sweep that only happened twice past decade with 12 years a slave and nomadland. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I feel like this is the year where GG, CC, PGA, BAFTA and Oscar all go to Oppenheimer for best picture. The “cleanest” sweep that only happened twice past decade with 12 years a slave and nomadland. 

Exactly 20 years after ROTK sweep, this would be the first real blockbuster to win Picture and bonus for married couple Nolan and Thomas evoking Jackson and Walsh. Would be hella fitting and I can imagine ratings would jump too. 

Edited by Valonqar