LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

This is what happens when you don't release new movies. But it is helping the existing  movies in the marketplace hold well at least. With only Argyle opening next weekend even if that exceeds expectations the movies should continue to have strong holds. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 2

Is it somewhat true, that any type of film (Even an documentary to be random) could have release wide this weekend, and stood out or it won't matter due to the end of January being an slump period and look down-upon from general audience POV.

4 hours ago, Goldenhour36 said:

Is it somewhat true, that any type of film (Even an documentary to be random) could have release wide this weekend, and stood out or it won't matter due to the end of January being an slump period and look down-upon from general audience POV.

Any film can do well with any release date if people want to see it. So Hollywood should’ve released at least something. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Eric George said:

Okay everybody, we have one more week until we get the answer we have all been waiting for: who do you think is the real Agent Argylle? My money is on Mickey Rooney.

I hope it is Matthew Vaughn himself.

13 hours ago, LegendaryBen said:

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-mean-girls-beekeeper-1235806489/

Early Friday Numbers:

1. Mean Girls - $1.85m

2. Beekeeper- $1.7m

3. Anyone But You - $1.5m

4. Wonka - $1.35m

5. Migration - $1m

Could Beekeeper take over the top spot? Stay tuned. MG will barely pass $70m. Awesome for Wonka, Migration, and ABY.

Deadline says (not just says, but leads with):

In a weekend without any studio wide entries — all due to the strikes– the overall theatrical marketplace is bound to reach some sort of low”

Was something moved that was supposed to open this weekend?

I think all the interested parties are going to continue blaming the strikes for things that aren’t related to the strikes because it’s more optimistic spin than the truth. 

Edited by MisterLibby

Deadline's 3 day estimates - Top 5

Mean Girls/Beekeeper - $6.4M

Wonka - $5.8M

Migration $4.9M

Anyone But You - $4.8M

And for the total weekend DOM, here's Deadline being pessimistic..."... the overall theatrical marketplace is bound to reach some sort of low: Either lower than 2023’s bottom of $51.8M for all movies (Sept. 22-24) or lower than 2022’s floor of $35M (Jan. 28-30).

I'm not sure under $35M DOM is possible with the top 5's numbers above (b/c they are $27-28M alone), but I guess under 2023's low is possible...

• Like 2

It's funny that the marketing is treating the "argylle" reveal as a twist but I feel like it was already revealed way back when the movie was announced?

Spoiler

"Matthew Vaughn, the director of the Kingsman film franchise, would be directing an untitled spy movie about a novelist with amnesia who slowly regains her memory and realizes she's actually a world-class spy."

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

I'm going to see Argylle even if it's bad (which it probably is lol).

Pretty obvious misdirection going on with Henry Cavill getting top billing and being front and center of the marketing even though, from the previews, he's playing a fake character within the movie.