LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

22 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Gonna say it again this movie is incredible and you all should watch it

I just realised the movie is actually PG-13. Quite an unexpected age rating given the subject matter, the tone based on the trailer and studio behind it.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I just realised the movie is actually PG-13. Quite an unexpected age rating given the subject matter, the tone based on the trailer and studio behind it.

Haven't seen the movie but the rating is for "thematic material, some suggestive material and smoking." Reasonable to assume no on-screen violence, lack of coarse language, and the smoking being in a historical context made it quite easy to get away with a lighter rating.

I know that sport is standing in the way of Beekeper's #1 but I'm rooting for it cause it has become the surprise of January. Mean Girls didn't break out so let the underdog continue its amazing run. 

ABY's legs are insane. 

With 51M WW already in the kitty, Poor Things has 100M WW in crosshairs. The Favorite made 96M and this is doing better.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's easier to watch Godzilla Minus One in US and Europe than in most of Asia outside Japan as well. It's just not released in most of Asia. I'm guessing Shin Godzilla and other similar movies didn't do great in Asian markets so Toho just didn't bother this time.

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

OT: Since this is holdovers weekend, on my 2023 watch list, I watched The Holdovers last night with my spouse who is a sucker for boarding school set movies...

Ummmm, I think the critics and I are not seeing eye to eye.  The movie is slow, it peters out in many places, starting with an idea and never following it.  It seems like it needed 2 rewrites to tighten up what it wanted to be as a movie.  I didn't buy the climax, so I didn't buy the movie.  I wasn't as impressed with the acting (local accents, how do we carry them for a full movie) although while not impressed (b/c I was expecting "nomination caliber"), they were probably the best part of the movie.

I'd give it a C+, and say there are many, many other boarding school set movies from the past that are better than this movie.  I have NO idea how this is supposed to be Top 3 for best picture b/c I don't think it's worthy of a Top 25 list for a year, although I admit in 2023, I'm struggling to find 10 movies still, so my list making may not happen.

And my spouse didn't give it much better (B-) - and since it was his choice to watch this (and he never picks movies), I'm a little sad b/c I wish it was better for him,

Now, I'm scared to watch nominees 4-10...so maybe it's time for Poor Things and Oppy to hit my watch/theatrical list, since they are supposed to be #1-2 in the running, right?  Or maybe the foreign films...

Shocked Sesame Street GIF

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

There's zero explicit material onscreen. No violence, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Tide Is Turning quite literally discribes this movie. Tide turned against it and then it turned in favor of it. Fantastic legs all things considered, didn't become The Marvels/Morbius embarrassment. Even passed the The Flash which tested better than TDK :hahaha:

• Like 1