LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (January 26-28)

It is kind of interesting that Amazon MGM is kind of saving theatres right now who would have even less product thanks to the strike if they didn’t decide to start going theatrical. Both Beekeeper and Boys in the Boat are going to pass 50 million and American Fiction is going to ride the Oscar wave over the next 2 months. 

Amazon MGM also announced a slew of theatrical releases for later this year, so they are definitely committed.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

3.2-3.5M for Poor Things probably, seems good to me, should be around 25M by SUN

30M is locked, it can top The Favourite afterall depending on next weeks holds 

I am seeing somewhere lower at 2.8m. Still bigger than the favourite and jojo rabbit post Oscar nomination weekend although I must say this is helped by wider release. If PT managed to develop stable leg, PT could be the biggest Oscar grosser for searchlight since 2019.

2 hours ago, MisterLibby said:

Deadline says (not just says, but leads with):

In a weekend without any studio wide entries — all due to the strikes– the overall theatrical marketplace is bound to reach some sort of low”

Was something moved that was supposed to open this weekend?

I think all the interested parties are going to continue blaming the strikes for things that aren’t related to the strikes because it’s more optimistic spin than the truth. 

I do think the strikes played a role, in halting production and limiting the volume of titles available for release in 2024. With a more open calendar, lower tier films - like last year’s Missing and Plane - can find a home in a better season, rather than drawing the short straw and being relegated to (dumped in) in Q1

(see also post-COVID weak Q1 2022)

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

It's funny that the marketing is treating the "argylle" reveal as a twist but I feel like it was already revealed way back when the movie was announced?

Reveal hidden contents

That actually sounds like a more interesting movie than the one that has been advertised 

(also might want to like triple spoiler box that)

3 hours ago, Eric George said:

Okay everybody, we have one more week until we get the answer we have all been waiting for: who do you think is the real Agent Argylle? My money is on Mickey Rooney.

It's Sam Rockwell

Warner Bros.’ isn’t reporting any figures on its Barbie re-release (though one rival has it around $170K for the weekend at 1,500 theaters. Remember, the Greta Gerwig movie is streaming on Max).

Viva’s Fighter, in Hindi, from Siddharth Anand, follows IAF aviators who come together in the face of imminent danger to form Air Dragons. It looks a lot like Top Gun, and the action movie put up big numbers in Toronto, San Francisco, NYC, DC, Boston, Dallas, Austin, Houston and Chicago, with $1M on Friday and $3.5M estimated for the weekend at 662 venues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Poor Things should have enough legs to pass Menu for highest grossing searchlight movie, especially if it wins BP and stone wins best actress

Oh great another outrage incoming! Just let Nolan have it all OK? 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Overtaking parasite soon. I can’t believe they still insist a closure date on 1st February when clearly there are demand.

Godzilla has the most impressive PTA on Friday, $1406 followed by Zone of Interest's $1087. Nothing else hit 1K PTA so despite increases overall, lots of empty seats I can imagine.