Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread | Argylle 1.7 Previews

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

It has a few major territories still to start a run in, likely going to outpace Hop's adjusted global total at least. Yeah, it's not anything great in the context of the Illumination canon, but it is further testament that their business model is sustainable.

What's really hurting the opening months of the year is a lack of any other new kid-friendly options to give theaters a boost. Orion and the Dark could've been a solid hit right now if Uni were distributing it.

I guess this shows even Illumination has a hard time selling an original animated film in the current theatrical climate. A shame, because I enjoyed Migration a lot more than any of their recent films. 

Not gonna lie, Argylle’s internal multiplier is pretty strong. If it actually did 2.5M previews like many trackers were suggesting was possible before this week totally fell apart, that would adjust to a 27M opening or so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Not gonna lie, Argylle’s internal multiplier is pretty strong. If it actually did 2.5M previews like many trackers were suggesting was possible before this week totally fell apart, that would adjust to a 27M opening or so.

It really does show what a desert for new movies  it is out their right now and that people want to go the movies.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Argylle... I just finished watching itthrough a theater recording since it isn't playing here, and that was one of the stupidest, most nonsensical movies ever made. And not in a good way like Malignant. It was pretty bad and infuriatingly dumb. What Apple saw in that script is beyond me. The twists are all just as bad as everyone online is saying. The acting was generally hokey and phoned in. The action was largely forgettable. And it just looked atrocious, especially when that cat became CGI. It was also a tonal mess. It's not objectively as bad as Apple's last movie Napoleon, and there are a couple of cool, if rather artificial-looking, setpieces in the third act. But I thought it still was really bad. No wonder why word of mouth is so toxic for it, and why it flopped so badly this weekend. I really hope Apple's other two tentpoles for the year are better.

Let’s not comment on the look of a film when you’re watching a screen that someone has filmed on their screen and uploaded for your screen 😂

• Like 4

21 hours ago, TMP said:

Just got out of Zone of Interest - WOW! Jonathan Glazer has such a striking command of the cinematic form, using the tools of the medium in such a deeply affecting way. Shades of Come & See (sonically more so than visually) and ofc Eichmann in Jerusalem. 2023 really did spoil us, so I guess 2024 is gonna be the come down for me to catch up on my other hobbies since the film slate looks so poor

Just got out of it. Those final 10 minutes churned my stomach and made my heart sink in a way I had never felt before. Genuinely one of the most powerful endings I've seen in ages. A pity it'll probably be ignored by the Academy in all the categories it's nominated in (well, apart from International Film I guess)

• Like 3

Saw this comment regarding Aquabro 2 and I thought it was interesting so I'll post it here:

"So, 120 million domestic, 63 /64 million million in China, 240 million overseas.

Budget is 205 million. I'm only considering budget for now.

Producers usually keep 50% of domestic numbers, 40% of overseas and usually 25% of China's money ( might be a little more if it's a co-production with Tencent, but I'm only considering 25% now )

120 million domestic- producers keep 50% = 60 million

240 million overseas - producers keep 40% = 96 million

64 million in China - producers keep 25% = 16 million

So, producers have 60 + 96 + 16 = 172 million

If the budget is 205 million, then 205 - 172 = 33 million. So, it's a loss of 33 million

Right now, Aquaman 2 is losing 33 million. Of course there might still be a little more than 15/20 million left worlwide, so that number will reduce and perhaps the China number might be a little higher if this is a co-production with Tencent ( I have no idea ), but it's a loss.

At least, maybe ( just maybe ) it might end up making a profit thanks to dvd / blu-ray sales and POVD release.

I'm pretty sure WB isn't sad about this. Wonka and Barbie probably gave them everything they lost with Aquabro 2, so all in all, they're happy."

20 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

Just got out of it. Those final 10 minutes churned my stomach and made my heart sink in a way I had never felt before. Genuinely one of the most powerful endings I've seen in ages. A pity it'll probably be ignored by the Academy in all the categories it's nominated in (well, apart from International Film I guess)

I did a class in college about the history of holocaust in film & literature, and one of the things we learnt was that it's impossible to make an effective holocaust movie because it will always inherently be entertainment first & foremost by the very nature of the medium; the only real exception they highlighted was Shoah, the 9 hour documentary. By presenting this story as an almost esoteric art-piece, Glazer sidesteps a lot of these concerns and makes something truly powerful imo. It’s a movie that asks a lot from you, but it only makes the payoff that much more harrowing

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ramleela007 said:

Where can I find BO for limited releases in the US and Canada?

A film from my country Nayab was released in around 50+ cinemas in North America. Where do I go to look for its BO receipts?

Thanks

Here's a number for Friday, can't seem to find anything for the full weekend yet.

To go off on a little bit of a tangent, it seems way too hard to get US/NA numbers for some of these limited and foreign language titles, end up having to scour through third-party sources and more obscure websites to find anything. I wish smaller distributors would be more proactive in their reporting, but I also wish BOM and The-Numbers would actually post all of the data that goes into ComScore. Jungle Bunch 2, Fighter, Warning 2, etc. are all indie/foreign titles that have weekend estimates available on CS that aren't on those websites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I actually wonder if people will consider Deadpool 3 a flop if it does only 2.1-2.2x its budget or whatever 🤔

I don't think that will happen unless it's budget is $300M+

7 minutes ago, dallas said:

I don't think that will happen unless it's budget is $300M+

The multiverse saga is actually cursed so I think it could flop with $200M budget honestly

but I do like your optimism with DP3, hope it does $750M+ maybe $850M like GOTG 3 that would be solid

Edited by HummingLemon496

11 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The multiverse saga is actually cursed so I think it could flop with $200M budget honestly

but I do like your optimism with DP3, hope it does $750M+ maybe $850M like GOTG 3 that would be solid

I mean, I imagine Deadpool & Wolverine both have the same goodwill that saved Guardians 3. I would be surprised if it were a flop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dallas said:

I mean, I imagine Deadpool & Wolverine both have the same goodwill that saved Guardians 3. I would be surprised if it were a flop. 

True, but GOTG 3 was carried a lot by word of mouth to be fair and it had a weak opening weekend ($118M). If Deadpool 3 gets a B/B+ then it could have a bad total. I don't want this to flop I'm just being cautious.

4 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I actually wonder if people will consider Deadpool 3 a flop if it does only 2.1-2.2x its budget or whatever 🤔

It depends on how strong it's domestically. TLM was able to breakeven on 2.3* thanks to a healthy domestic gross.

Aquaman 2 may not be able to breakeven due to its low 125mish  domestic gross.

2.5* is the safe bet . 

Deadpool 3 ain't going below 650m.

But don't think it's going to do crazy 1bn numbers like some expecting.

850m-900m.

• Like 2

Watched Maestro and I did not enjoy it at all. First miss of the best picture noms for me in my watches.

It's well acted, well shot, well directed. It has some scenes I really liked. But none of the parts seemed to add up to anything coherent. It felt oddly cold, disjointed and messy. Scenes randomly stitched together.

It seemed to want to be a biopic about the moments in between the big events but it just doesn't work. I walked away from the film feeling like I didn't know anything about the person, or why the person is important and what they accomplished.

Every creative decision felt like it was made to appease award voters instead of strengthening the film. Carey really carried this film on its back and I kept thinking man I just wish the whole thing was about her and from her perspective.

Bradley Cooper is talented behind the camera and I look forward to what he does next but this was just a huge miss for me even if I found a lot of it beautiful to look at. 

5/10

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 2:49 AM, AN9815 said:

Horror tends to be successful so Imaginary, The First Omen and Abigail can also be consider hits if the budgets are not too high

Seeing Directed by Jeff Wadlow during the Imaginary trailer made me shudder.

Truth or dare and fantasy island were so, so bad. 

OT: In my 2023 rewatch, I watched A Haunting in Venice.  I liked it, but I didn't love it.  Probably a workmanlike B/B- movie.  Tina Fey was miscast - but Michelle Yeoh, even in her smaller role, was dynamite.  I also loved the kid.  The mystery was an Agatha mystery, and held up enough to keep my interest.  It's another movie that could hover in that bottom of the top 25 list, but isn't worthy to fill in spots 1-20...so I guess I'll keep watching to see if I get enough movies worthy of a top 10.

It was an enjoyable time for what I wanted, so I'd say a win...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, misterpepp said:

but I also wish BOM and The-Numbers would actually post all of the data that goes into ComScore. Jungle Bunch 2, Fighter, Warning 2, etc. are all indie/foreign titles that have weekend estimates available on CS that aren't on those websites.

From what I understand, I believe the TOS do not allow for independent reporting, as ComScore is a third party aggregator and the actual numbers are considered proprietary/private to the distributors (and exhibitors). It’s always been the procedure that studios report their own numbers, and how (estimates or actuals), when (daily or less frequently like A24), or even if they want to

Im sure there are similar aggregator services in other industries who would be in a lot of hot water if those earnings numbers (which is what grosses are) were publicly leaked and not reported directly by the company themselves. We’re just used to the custom of immediate & public accounting for movies 

• Like 2