Eric Duncan

Dune: Part Two (2024)

Dune: Part Two (2024)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Half a day later and i cant still comprehend how good this movie is. Films like these just arend made anymore.

A true epic. True pathos. No cringe humour, real stakes in the story and battles, a convincing romance.

Its a miracle.

• Like 7

Paul and Chani were a convincing romance? The passion was mild and barely above chaste at best and that was despite them trying to turn up the relationship drama from the book which is notoriously chilly and aloof in character interplay overall. 

Ending the movie with Chani calling a sand taxi as the emotional gambit? A flatline.

3 minutes ago, Ameila said:

Paul and Chani were a convincing romance? The passion was mild and barely above chaste at best and that was despite them trying to turn up the relationship drama from the book which is notoriously chilly and aloof in character interplay overall. 

Ending the movie with Chani calling a sand taxi as the emotional gambit? A flatline.

They're two kids.

Yeah i don't think the romantic part was the strongest of the movie but cute enough to let the young (females) involved in the movie (and in the future of the couple for the next movie). James cameron romantic side in movies is of this kinda.

Edited by vale9001

Had a similar experience watching this as I did with The Batman - absolutely stunning to look at and drink in (seriously other blockbusters, try even half as hard as this with presentation) but the second half does start to buckle a bit under the weight of the plot. The parts that take their time stand in stark contrast to the parts that feel weirdly rushed. I know mystical mumbo-jumbo will always put the viewer at arm’s length from the protagonist to some extent but it feels really quite sudden here.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Had a similar experience watching this as I did with The Batman - absolutely stunning to look at and drink in (seriously other blockbusters, try even half as hard as this with presentation) but the second half does start to buckle a bit under the weight of the plot. The parts that take their time stand in stark contrast to the parts that feel weirdly rushed, though I gather that’s a frequent sensation in the book too.

The last 30 minutes feel very rushed.

Finished this about 6 hours ago and that was quite an overwhelming experience. 

Have been ehh on chalamet and wasn't sure he would pull it off but my God he absolutely burries it and his turn is so believable . They really pull off spectacularly.

Stilgar was absolutely committed ,he was the perfect religious fanatical zealot and provide a lot of levity to the film. Cinema was just chuckling in most of his scenes.

Chani was solid and acted as voice of reason . The ending with her felt a little tucked on. Wasn't a fan 

Fremen were pretty fantastic and sold the whole religion fanaticism.

Rebecca Ferguson stole the show and was eerie and cunning as ever. Bene Gesserit were all really well done here.

Visuals in this film were insane, Dennis is just so good at scaling ,Action  is beautifully shot and feels unique and the way the technology esp lasguns  works is so different and not your generic styles that have become common and copied from  starwars and startrek.

Gielde prime , the best scenes in the movie. I know this "whole it blew my mind" has become common . But this actually blew my mind . Never seen anything like that in film.

Introduction to feyd rautha was bonkers . Just wish we got more of him.

Honestly this move needed about 15 mins more. Because third act felt a little rushed to me and needed a little more breathing space.

Princess irulan and emperor didn't much to do. But didn't bother me. Feel will get more of them  in messiah.

9/10.  Just wish the ending had more breathing  room and would have given this 10/10.

I was kinda lukewarm on the first one but Part 2 was much better. I also thought the romance was weak but the rest of the film was solid. Felt sort of rushed in the third act and ending with Chani was sort of underwhelming, but overall I liked it.

8.5/10

(When I left the theater I heard people saying that it “was just as boring as last one” so you can’t please everyone).

• Like 1

I read the books years ago so i don't remember ...the character of lea seydoux has like a different plot right?.

And i get wrong or She is pregnant of a son of Butler character?.

This is new too and a proof the next movie will have completely new plots. According to the novel lady Jessica daughter (now She decided to have a son, Paul) was supposed to marry Butler to create the messiah. So since Seydoux Is a bene gesserit too maybe this son could have some role in the story too?

6 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I read the books years ago so i don't remember ...the character of lea seydoux has like a different plot right?.

And i get wrong or She is pregnant of a son of Butler character?.

This is new too and a proof the next movie will have completely new plots. According to the novel lady Jessica daughter (now She decided to have a son, Paul) was supposed to marry Butler to create the messiah. So since Seydoux Is a bene gesserit too maybe this son could have some role in the story too?

In the original novel she gets impregnated by Feyd with a daughter just like in this movie. Then neither her nor her husband nor her unborn daughter are ever mentioned again in the ones Frank Herbert wrote. He drops the plot point completely.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap what did anyone see in this movie? Sadly I found this to be dreadfully slow. It needed a lot more action. Like Part 1, not sure how much of the mainstream audience is going to find its way to the series through this film. Thank god that Zendaya, Anton Chigurh, and Josh Brolin are able to inject hints of life in this because the vibe so somber and nobody looks like they're having fun, which is a giant problem for a 2 1/2 hour film. There are too many characters that feel pointless. Who on Earth could compare this to icons like THE DARK KNIGHT or EMPIRE STRIKES BACK? The entrainment value just is not there. The first 120 min drag and drag and drag but then the final 40 minutes or so are beyond rushed. The big battle and final fight at the end both fall soo flat.

As others have said, the romance is exceptionally weak and if not for Zendaya's natural charisma, it would have been a total slog as Chalamet is wooden as a wall. Doesn't flash an ounce of the "next Hartnett Leo" charisma he supposedly has. The end is obviously rushed, as was mentioned, but the complete lack of emotional depth to their relationship makes Chalamet randomly proposing marriage to the random girl from the beginning feel like a huge "shrug". Butler and Pugh are also in this movie for a total of like 5 minutes combined. Both are characters are horrifically developed. Butler is like a poor mans Darth Maul.

Wish I enjoyed this more but man this was a colossal nothing burger for me. 

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

It really is outstanding that a movie with this level of themes, scope, and ambition exists on the blockbuster level. I very much liked it. I just think they were either too faithful or too concerned with the "Water of Life" stuff and how it led to the sudden heel turn. I think it would have been a more interesting dramatic choice if Paul was portrayed as either going crazy or actively faking the precog revelations instead of it....being real? I guess my problem with the story if I had to put a finger on it is that it a great parable of false prophets and religious mania, but all the superpowers and magic stuff turns out to be real? I guess that's why the turn didn't make sense to me - he genuinely seems to turn bad because of some magic shit he saw, not because of manipulation or craziness. Would have been better if they relied less on the magic and kind of deconstructed his thought process about using it as a strategy. Who am I to rewrite one of the best selling books of all time and that, but just my stupid message board two cents.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 7:53 PM, Mephariel said:

I wonder how does Chani and Paul get back together if at all. What would cause her to come back? Being pregnant? They kind of missed that chance in this film right?

I wasn't really annoyed about the changes that the adaptation did and maybe some like Chani's and Paul's breakup are ultimately judged by what happens in the Messiah.

I missed that we didn't get to experience a dramatic moment of Paul's son dying but I think it had to be cut due to not having that three year period living with Fremen. But imagine playing with the idea that Paul knew that his son dies on the path he has taken, I.e. did he sacrifice his son for Atreides House to survive and the holy war to happen. Now that could have been the ultimate tragedy and wedge between Chani and Paul even if Irulan was the tipping point.

All-in-all, I was very satisfied how the movie treated the book.

As another note, for me there were moments that I would have prefered even less dialogue than their was. I felt like I understood what Villeneuve meant by his comment about dialogue in films. This was as close to pure cinema that I've experienced. The audiovisual storytelling without dialogue was heavenly.

Loved the movie but can someone explain to me what was the significance of Chani preparing for the sandworm at the end? Was this a preparation for a suicide or something lol I haven't read the book or saw part one so I didnt understand that

10 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Loved the movie but can someone explain to me what was the significance of Chani preparing for the sandworm at the end? Was this a preparation for a suicide or something lol I haven't read the book or saw part one so I didnt understand that

It's not from the book.  Pretty sure she was just peacing out because she wasn't down with Paul going all power hungry.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It really is outstanding that a movie with this level of themes, scope, and ambition exists on the blockbuster level. I very much liked it. I just think they were either too faithful or too concerned with the "Water of Life" stuff and how it led to the sudden heel turn. I think it would have been a more interesting dramatic choice if Paul was portrayed as either going crazy or actively faking the precog revelations instead of it....being real? I guess my problem with the story if I had to put a finger on it is that it a great parable of false prophets and religious mania, but all the superpowers and magic stuff turns out to be real? I guess that's why the turn didn't make sense to me - he genuinely seems to turn bad because of some magic shit he saw, not because of manipulation or craziness. Would have been better if they relied less on the magic and kind of deconstructed his thought process about using it as a strategy. Who am I to rewrite one of the best selling books of all time and that, but just my stupid message board two cents.

I guess what makes it interesting for me is how blurred the lines are. The prophecy is completely orchestrated, but essentially it doesn’t matter because for all intents and purposes it’s real. And unlike false prophets, Paul initially rejects the prophecy and feels guilt about them believing he’s their Messiah.

As for the turn, I didn’t see it as simply going because of what he saw. I saw it as him being corrupted by all the knowledge and power he gained. After drinking the Water of Life he immediately declares himself their Messiah (even ignoring Jessica’s advice to slow down) and fast tracks his plan for the throne.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I thought that the last high-budget art house film was Master and Commander and especially that in today's Hollywood you cannot make anything like that.

I was wrong. I am happy that they didn't turn Dune into new Star Wars or what they did with JJ Abrams Star Trek and try to reach wider GA spread. It is amazing to have this scale of artistic film that is also highly successful financially. I guess maturity of international markets makes it partially possible which mostly carried Part 1 too. Master and Commander was a financial failure.

About Paul's transformation, for me it worked but I can imagine that if you haven't read the books, the experience might be different. Though I don't think we're talking about any switch on/off what happened to Anakin Skywalker in prequels. I guess if the visions foreseeing hints that Paul got about a future that he wants to avoid but then submitting to to drink the water in order to protect his people and loved ones wasn't enough to prepare for the transformation, then I can understand the suddenness. 

The visions are not actually magic but are real all knowing at least in part. Like we later learn it's not 100%. To my understanding it is taken further from the Benni Gesserat mastering of oneself.

Frank Herbert envisioned that there will be a time when we confront AI and technology and as a result will focus on mastering the human condition, I.e. back to the roots. He is a prodigy of 60s, did psychedelics, and comes from a Jungian school of thought where reality is mental, we are finite minds in a vast Universal Mind that is eternal and time and space are illusionary.

With right teachings (and spice) you can break your finite mind's barriers and at least glimpse beyond. You master your intuition, memory, and other abilities like the mentats do. Or fold space and time as the guild navigators do with spice who we probably see in the Messiah.

For Paul, it went further than with Benni Gessarit Holy Mothers remembering past memories. He was the only one who could see the future too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZackM said:

It's not from the book.  Pretty sure she was just peacing out because she wasn't down with Paul going all power hungry.

Ah ok thank you. I was confused lol