Bob Train

3/4-3/7 Weekdays Thread | Dune $7.3m Monday, $8.1m Tuesday, $6.6m Wednesday

43 minutes ago, Elessar said:

It'll probably jump like 50% on friday and we'll all come down back to earth, i'm telling ya!

Dune is a near 3 hour movie, so a big jump this weekend for sure. We aren't in the middle of the summer, so lots of people working or have school on weekdays must wait for weekends to see it.

Edited by Mojoguy

Voldy's implying Thursday could actually increase from Wednesday, which sounds kind of insane.

On a related note, is anyone else having this urge to see the movie again this weekend? I usually don't rewatch movies in theaters, but Dune 2 was such a spectacular experience that I want to do it again one more time before it inevitably leaves the bigger auditoriums. I'm thinking about seeing the movie again tomorrow after my anatomy course ends. It's not like I have anything else going on that day. I wanted to see The Holdovers as it's out tomorrow here, but it's unsurprisingly not playing in my area, so Dune 2 it likely is.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, M37 said:

brother years GIF

Not so much mocking as... Playful ribbing?  No, not even that. 

More, noting that you have been very right about that observation, but if we follow it to its logical conclusion... 

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Well, let me put it to you this way:  Does Dune: Part Two really feel like a TLM type exception?  MAYBE.

On the other hand, the drops/rises this week do suggest that maybe you really are right about "things are either a really big hit or not that close, with little in-between" with Dune: frigging Part Two being your biggest example of the theory yet!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

More, noting that you have been very right about that observation, but if we follow it to its logical conclusion... 

Well, let me put it to you this way:  Does Dune: Part Two really feel like a TLM type exception?  MAYBE.

On the other hand, the drops/rises this week do suggest that maybe you really are right about "things are either a really big hit or not that close, with little in-between" with Dune: frigging Part Two being your biggest example of the theory yet!

The... Little... Mermaid?

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I've subscribed to the mindset of things falling under $200M or over $300M. Or joined the cult and drank the Kool Aid. Whatever we're calling it.

The pattern we've seen is that when something breaks out, it breaks out big. And when something tanks, it tanks hard.

As soon as a prediction for a film is approaching $200M, I think you have to always ask if a $300M is feasible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

So we are going for that billie, aren't we?

Now doesn't seem that crazy. Let's see how it plays in china and Japan this weekend. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

I'll be happy if Dune Part Two reaches 700M worldwide. Would recoup production+marketing budget with theatrical gross alone.

Edited by DInky

38 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got out of a 3pm IMAX show in Leicester Square, was comfortably over half full. That was excellent. 

Cineworld IMAX? I’m in London next week and thinking of seeing it in there as have never been in that screen. I know Odeon have the 70mm but that’s not IMAX ratio and the BFI is sold out whilst I’m there pretty much. Recommend it in that flagship Cine screen? 

36 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The... Little... Mermaid?

TLM is the only film post 'rona to break M37's Observation, coming in at 298.1m DOM.

(couldn't even find the juice to cross 300m so M37 could just lower the observation to 300m.  THANKS FOR NOTHING, DISNEY!!!)

But TLM's release domestically had all sorts... unique* qualities to it, so at the moment it's very much The Exception Which Proves the Rule/Outliers happen.

* Yes, I think that's a nice, safe, neutral word to use.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

These 2nd weekend predictions are getting pretty wild. Almost too good to be true. I'm trying to keep expectations in check but you guys are making it difficult. :sadno:

I'm with you on this. Seems like everyone snorted some spice here and turned into fundamentalists. I'd rather downplay it and be surprised if it goes through the roof. The hype here is growing exponentially by the minute and it's hard to keep cool.

ron swanson television GIF

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Starphanluke said:

Alright I’m as excited about Dune as anyone else, but let’s cool it with the billion talk lmao.

It's not granted and we need to wait how It holds on other international markets this weekend but the first made 325M sans North America.

In the NA seems projected to a 3 times total than the First. Even with two times double than the first OS and not three the billion is not this crazy end line at this point. 

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

On a related note, is anyone else having this urge to see the movie again this weekend? I usually don't rewatch movies in theaters, but Dune 2 was such a spectacular experience that I want to do it again one more time before it inevitably leaves the bigger auditoriums. I'm thinking about seeing the movie again tomorrow after my anatomy course ends. It's not like I have anything else going on that day. I wanted to see The Holdovers as it's out tomorrow here, but it's unsurprisingly not playing in my area, so Dune 2 it likely is.

Yes. I don't usually rewatch movies in theater. I rewatched Dune Part 1 in IMAX during the re-release. The last one before that was Two Towers 20 years ago. I've seen Dune Part Two now twice. Once with my partner and once with friends. I plan to see it by myself at least once more. The second viewing already revealed things that I missed the first time. The layers are easier to see when you rewatch it. Such a treat. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's not granted and we need to wait how It holds on other international markets this weekend but the first made 325M sans North America.

In the NA seems projected to a 3 times total than the First. Even with two times double than the first OS and not three the billion is not this crazy end line at this point. 

There’s a reason for the movie to explode on US since the first movie opened when US was having a pretty bad Covid boom + day and date. And we don’t even know if it can actually get 300M DOM, it’s possible but let’s wait a few more days to not freakout if it ended up with 275.

Unlike on US, foreign release for Part 1 was a bit better Covid wise and it had a full month of theatrical window. There’s no reason to expect a similar pattern. 

It’s looking like 425-450M OS now. Yeah maybe some better than expected drops can push it to 500M, hard to know since we don’t have updates daily. But from this to ~700M is simply insane. 

• Like 4