filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

So anyone here think Emma Stone actually didn't expect her to win the award? Seeing this sentiment going around on Twitter and just seems like a bunch of projection to me. But I'm also not great at reading complex human emotions so, idk lol

Edited by lorddemaxus

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

So anyone here think Emma Stone actually didn't expect her to win the award? Seeing this sentiment going around on Twitter and just seems like a bunch of projection to me. But I'm also not great at reading complex human emotions so, idk lol

I think she knew clearly there was a very tight race between them, but since she lost SAG it just felt like she was prepared to lose and clap. She just seemed without much reaction when they announce it, like someone knowing it was very possible but wasn´t counting on it.

But yeah i think people are projecting that she didn´t expect at all.

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I don't have a problem with The Boy and Heron winning. It just bugs me that all of a sudden there is this weird backlash when it comes to Spiderverse when just 9 months ago everybody loved it for the most part. But then I guess that should not surprise me around this place. 

Those worker abuse headlines making the rounds a few weeks after the movie's release soured people, at least here, on it, and might've even cost it the Oscar. Phil Lord's tantrums on Twitter aren't helping either. People being over superheroes in general might be another factor that gave Heron the edge.

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I don't have a problem with The Boy and Heron winning. It just bugs me that all of a sudden there is this weird backlash when it comes to Spiderverse when just 9 months ago everybody loved it for the most part. But then I guess that should not surprise me around this place. 

It wasn´t sudden, after the release the informations of abusive work was leaked and everyone was rightfully mad because Phil Lord just won´t shut up on social media but never adressed this in any human way. I think it´s quite reasonable that some backlash remains. 

People aren´t even hating the movie overall, just happier that something else won, and pissed with some people from spiderverse going to social media say they´re robbed by the japanese movie which is tone deaf.

the 5 seconds or so where gosling included his female co-stars into  "I'm just Ken" are sensational

people should build entire ideologies and philosophies around them

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It wasn´t sudden, after the release the informations of abusive work was leaked and everyone was rightfully mad because Phil Lord just won´t shut up on social media but never adressed this in any human way. I think it´s quite reasonable that some backlash remains. 

People aren´t even hating the movie overall, just happier that something else won, and pissed with some people from spiderverse going to social media say they´re robbed by the japanese movie which is tone deaf.

Once again reminding me why I avoid things people say on twitter. As for the abusive behavior there was no excuse for that of course but the history of Hollywood is rife with that and a lot of the movies we love some bad shit went down.

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Poor Things was definitely 2nd place for BP right? 3rd place feels harder to guess but I'm gonna guess Zone of Interest maybe.

Sounds about right, but I think it’s pretty close overall for the #2 spot between Poor Things, Zone of Interest, American Fiction, and Anatomy of a Fall. Very strong Top 5 movies in the running this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Gladstone getting this calibre of a role again feels unlikely whereas Emma Stone should have plenty of future opportunities as well. So this loss feels like one of her only opportunities.

Yeah, as much of a Stone fan as I am it's why I'm sad for Lily. Both films are great and both actresses are great in them, but realistically Stone's profile and odds to play oscar-worthy roles are much higher.

Still, I think it's very much a deserved victory in regards to her performance.

Edited by JustLurking

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Sounds about right, but I think it’s pretty close overall for the #2 spot between Poor Things, Zone of Interest, American Fiction, and Anatomy of a Fall. Very strong Top 5 movies in the running this year. 

I feel Poor Things was a very clear no. 2. Sweeped all the art design categories and won best actress. And its a populist (but artsier than something like Barbie) film with feminist messaging. Just feels like an easy pick to win if Oppenheimer did not exist.

• Like 2

Happy for Poor Things, Anatomy of a Fall and Zone of Interest getting wins. 

Glad Barbie won at least 1, but it should’ve won more. That song is incredible and I’m glad it wasn’t I’m Just Ken that won. That would’ve left a bad taste. 

No comment on all of the Oppenheimer wins, because I haven’t seen it lol. 

• Like 1

Overall I thought it was a pretty decent ceremony. I didn't think it was too long either. There were times when I wanted a break because I was so nervous for Oppenheimer but the pacing is so fast lol

I’m pretty sure most people still consider Spider-Verse a great movie. They’re just happy that a more unconventional choice won, and as others have said, the reports about the working conditions for AtSV left a bitter taste in people’s mouths. 

• Like 1

I think people are overthinking the whole crunch backlash with Spiderverse. Yes, obviously it's bad, but it's far more likely that the reason it didn't win is that the first one did, and this is an incomplete (albeit great) movie, with the second part offering the chance for a crowning of the series, whereas The Boy and the Heron was billed as potentially the last chance go award Miyazaki. There is also a very clear growing influence from international members and a desire to throw some awards outside Hollywood.

• Like 1

Just now, MightyDargon said:

Hoo boy you people are ignorant if you're bitching about the working conditions on Spiderverse vs anime.

I find it funny that Godzilla Minus One is celebrated for its accomplishments on a small budget when that is also a result of low pay, long hours and people working multiple jobs on the production. Yes, Hollywood budgets are insane, but let's not pretend that Japan's working conditions are in any way a favourable comparison here...

• Like 2

The main person I knew in the animation community considered Nimona the big underdog candidate, not Spiderverse. The push for Heron was as much about Miyazaki's entire career as the film itself.  Heron might be his last film and one of the last "traditional" animations since Hollywood doesn't make them anymore and even most modern anime extensively use CGI.

• Like 1