kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Dropping near 40% in a relatively quiet week isn’t ideal for a movie trying to get to 100m. I hate all these near-miss 100m moment. 

It's this year's M3GAN.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I found DUNE 2 to be an utter chore to sit through, but it is indeed pure CINEMA and the theater owners deserve every penny!

• ...wtf 1

What is the general reasonable consensus on Dune Part 2’s projected WW total when its run is finished? Still a shot at $700M WW? Or has the performance in Asia plus lack of Russia killed that dream? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Not gonna lie, I was one of the only true believers (as a genuinely huge fan of the franchise) for the third film to breakout in a dead January 2016 (eight years ago), where there were nothing else in the scale of how much box office-wise the previous KFP-films before then, have performed. I even made clubs about it. And overperform on a grand scale, no less. 😬🥶👩🏻‍💼

And while the reception for KFP3 was high (with 87% critic rating on RT), the box office for that film didn’t really justify the critical praise it recieved. So good of a movie and yet Panda 3 underperformed in relative to the insane, yet hopefully box office predictions I had for it at the time.

Thankfully Panda 4 finally did/is doing things what the other two sequels couldn’t do:

A. Open over $50M+
B. Be on it’s way to $200M+ DOM due to no animated competition until late May.

C. Be the hit DWA needed after the total flop of Ruby Gillman. Trolls 3 did a bit better in theaters though nothing overly spectacular.

I was not at all surprised about Kung Fu Panda 3, but Kung Fu Panda 2 really shocked me. It had a prime release date, fantastic reviews, yet opened and grossed well below the first. 

It’s such a great movie.

11 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I was not at all surprised about Kung Fu Panda 3, but Kung Fu Panda 2 really shocked me. It had a prime release date, fantastic reviews, yet opened and grossed well below the first. 

It’s such a great movie.

KFP2 was a favourite to win that summer IIRC. Opening the same day as Hangover 2 just smashing the old R-rated OW record hurt it for sure.

• Like 1

Tbh kung fu panda 2 is kinda like dark for kids movie, I can see why kids or even parents may have not liked it 

apparently it has 77% user rating on rotten tomatoes 

it’s amazing movie to me but sad as fuck lol

- (7) Migration Universal $190,000 +21% -14% 879 $216 $126,142,645

Migration continues to crawl on. Lost over 40% of its theaters but still only dropped 14%. Definitely thinking there's more to this movie's performance now than simple lack of competition.  

Edited by AniNate

34 minutes ago, Squire said:

What is the general reasonable consensus on Dune Part 2’s projected WW total when its run is finished? Still a shot at $700M WW? Or has the performance in Asia plus lack of Russia killed that dream? 

Well China legs have been slightly improving so the prospects of $700M are getting better a bit.

Dunno if this has been discussed yet, but Dune 2's 2nd week drop was better than Oppenheimer's (-41.3% vs. -43.7%). 

If weekly drops are exact same as Oppy from here, Dune 2 would be heading for $290m+ per my math. 

If they continue to be better (e.g., -33% drop this week vs. -36% for Oppy), $300m+ would still be in play. 

Not predicting, just observing :) 

• Like 1

It's nice we now have three weekends in a row where the #1 movie gets above 30M. The next two weekends are also near-locked to happen unless Ghostbusters sales drop like a rock or something. We'll see how long April continues the streak, because we could see GxK getting a 30M+ second weekend and/or Monkey Man reaching 30M+

• Like 2