kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

41 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar IS culturally irrelevant. People are highly interested in experiencing those movies on the biggest screen possible though.

Didn’t Avatar 2 ended up being one of the most streamed movies of the year while also being one of the best selling movies of the year in home media? I’m pretty sure it was also the most pirated movie in 2023. 

Basically it’s succesful in every possible metric that exists, just like the first one, being a juggernaut in box office being only one of it’s metrics. 

People care about these movies, people watch them both in theaters and at home, just say it’s not a meme online next time and call it a day. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Didn’t Avatar 2 ended up being one of the most streamed movies of the year while also being one of the best selling movies of the year in home media? I’m pretty sure it was also the most pirated movie in 2023. 

Basically it’s succesful in every possible metric that exists, just like the first one, being a juggernaut in box office being only one of it’s metrics. 

People care about these movies, people watch them both in theaters and at home, just say it’s not a meme online next time and call it a day. 

Memes also don't matter that much ultimately. People on here desperately tried to meme the big head guy from Green Lantern.

If Avatar were actually culturally irrelevant people wouldn't pay the massive IMAX ticket price at all.

• Like 2

Last year late 2022 the amount of love and appreciation I saw for everything everywhere all at once, my discord friends, twitter, tik tok 

it was massive everywhere online but did 143 million total box office and won Oscar for best picture 

some movies may just be online fandom films but then I don’t really see people talk about blue people avatar, whenever someone mention avatar my friends and me think of bald head kid hahah

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, I could see Gladiator 2 ending up like Dial of Destiny at the box office. 170M domestic is nothing to scoff at, but with a budget so big and lofty expectations...

That seems awfully high to me. Does a single, stand alone film from 25 years ago - sans the lead - really hold the social cache of an Indy, Ethan Hunt, John Wick (all in that ~$180M range) 

This is same market that couldn’t get KOTFM or Napoleon to $70M, and Northman to $35M; those seem like more analogous films in terms of audience appeal and tone to me then the more action/big screen necessary titles above

Take the brand name and cast and bump it up to like $100M (BR 2049/ID4-R range), but I wouldn’t set expectations much higher than that 

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

That seems awfully high to me. Does a single, stand alone film from 25 years ago - sans the lead - really hold the social cache of an Indy, Ethan Hunt, John Wick (all in that ~$180M range) 

This is same market that couldn’t get KOTFM or Napoleon to $70M, and Northman to $35M; those seem like more analogous films in terms of audience appeal and tone to me then the more action/big screen necessary titles above

Take the brand name and cast and bump it up to like $100M (BR 2049/ID4-R range), but I wouldn’t set expectations much higher than that 

I would say Denzel Washington is probably the biggest acting hook it has, though depends on how much of a role he's got (I'm assuming it's a fairly meaty one as a mentor/friend though)

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar IS culturally irrelevant. People are highly interested in experiencing those movies on the biggest screen possible though. Big difference. 

Are we gonna play this dumb game again? Plus Avatar 2 was a huge hit on vod as well, I'm pretty sure I saw news it outsold Endgame on home media.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

I mean I only give a shit about Dune because Timothee is in it. Starpower counts at least for me :lol:

I agree that people aren't going to big budget films for stars but I do think the right actor with the right IP is a magic combo 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar IS culturally irrelevant. People are highly interested in experiencing those movies on the biggest screen possible though. Big difference.  

Kid interest in Nintendo branded stuff has been a sore spot for them in recent years, but I will say the Mario movie made huge strides for them in that respect and kids definitely got on board. 

So culturally irrelevant that a re release after 12 years since it came out made $134M WW.

So culturally irrelevant that the sequel of such an irrelevant feature still outgrossed Spider-Man: No Way Home even cutting out all of its IMAX screens gross.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, M37 said:

sans the lead 

The marketing is going to be really interesting because on paper it's just not "Gladiator 2." 

I don't really agree that March 2022 is the same market as 2023/4 especially because you're ultimately dealing with an older audience skew especially because we know the film clearly significantly over-indexed on PVOD (because Focus was happy with the film's performance and all re-partnered with Eggers on Nosferatu). The Northman was never going to be a commercial hit (I don't really get why it didn't resonate as a good mix of drama and action but it clearly didn't) but if its released in Jan 2024 it's probably clawing closer to 50M than 25M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

The marketing is going to be really interesting because on paper it's just not "Gladiator 2." 

I don't really agree that March 2022 is the same market as 2023/4 especially because you're ultimately dealing with an older audience skew especially because we know the film clearly significantly over-indexed on PVOD (because Focus was happy with the film's performance and all re-partnered with Eggers on Nosferatu). The Northman was never going to be a commercial hit (I don't really get why it didn't resonate as a good mix of drama and action but it clearly didn't) but if its released in Jan 2024 it's probably clawing closer to 50M than 25M

I don’t disagree entirely, but also don’t think it’s not as simple as high streaming numbers = potential/lost box office, because I’m of the belief a lot of that particular audience is permanently lost, not coming back (except on rare occasions). And again G2 will prob be lacking the big screen action/spectacle that can overcome a default to steaming mentality 

Edited by M37
  • Like 1

Saw Migration.

It was.....fine.

Bland, inoffensive. Had a few smirks but didn't really make me laugh. Pretty bog standard animal animated movie that could have come out 20 years ago and nothing about it would be much different.

The movie veering off into a whole plot about a chef was an odd choice. Other than finding that bit odd it didn't leave much of an impression.

6/10

Edited by Dominic Draper

12 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Finally watched Dune in IMAX yesterday and it is certainly a well-crafted movie. Definitely nice to understand the context behind all of the Stilgar memes floating around. Ferguson and Butler were the obvious standouts with Pugh being a rung behind simply due to not having enough to do. Zendaya was fine but she was largely wasted as she really only had one purpose in the film. As for Chalamet, he simply does not have the screen presence necessary for the part he’s playing. He may be the luckiest actor in Hollywood in recent years largely thanks to the high profile roles he has been given. 

You're crazy. I don't think any other actor of his generation could pull off that switch from whiny prince to a hardened warrior capable of killing billions. The last 30 minutes of the film has Chalamet giving one of the most satisfying performances I've seen on screen in a looooong time. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Disbelief reaction doesn't change the fact that the era of movie stars is largely over. 

Crazy to say this after the run of Anyone But You, Wonka, And Dune 2. Hollywood has lined up your new movie stars right in front of you and still you're like nah it's done guys wrap it up. The doom and gloom here is getting really old.  

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 5