kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Godzilla 2014 had horrible legs, King of the Monsters flopped, GVK and Skull Island did well enough but didn't have an exceptionally positive reception from critics and audiences, and this new one is 54% rotten and doesn't have any new hook, yet the franchise is in a healthy state at the box office. Goes to show how unpredictable audiences are.

KFP4 and GxK outperforming their predecessors shows how starved the strikes made audiences for franchise blockbusters. In no other situation do I see these two films putting up numbers like these.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

KFP4 and GxK outperforming their predecessors shows how starved the strikes made audiences for franchise blockbusters. In no other situation do I see these two films putting up numbers like these.

Frozen Empire crying in the corner...

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

As an unabashed hater of The Creator, I couldn't agree more. He GETS scale, and does present it very well on screen. But there is literally nothing else beyond that and some aesthetically-pleasing shots. I love me some dinosaurs so God knows I'll watch the next Jurassic movie, but knowing he's at the helm makes me think it will be even worse than the last couple... 

It's impossible to be worse than last Jurassic World movies, that's just crazy talk, it'll be better very easily, you can book it. Edwards is a much better director than Trevorrow and I didn't like most of his films, at least his movies look good, Trevorrow is near rock bottom at both visuals and writing.

Edited by Firepower
  • Knock It Off 1

I think WB have a good year ahead tbh 

Barbie was a phenomenon. Wonka and Dune 2 are highly solid hits and seems like GxK is coming to a similar result. 

Furiosa shouldn’t reach this heights but it should do well enough with ~400M, which is decent considering the budget is rumoured to be around 150M. If it can get out of Cannes with great reviews I bet it will do well.

Joker will be big no matter what, maybe not Joker 1 big, but very big. 

The LOTR animated movie should do very well not only because it’s a Christmas release but because it’s a very stable franchise, just look at all 3 hobbits doing around 1B despite being meh. Being an animation will prevent it from those numbers but it’s probably a lot less expensive as well.

Even the 1-2 punch of the Shyamalan’s should do well since they’re horror and not expensive. 

Beetlejuice seems to be the tricky one but it’s not an overbudgeted movie and the reports are that the movie is decent so it can do well enough. 

Sure if we count things like the Costner movies than it gets difficult, but it’s his own movies, the distribution is between them and New Line. I wouldn’t count it as a WB joint.

But yeah, very solid slate and full of actually potentially great movies from celebrated directors.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's impossible to be worse than last Jurassic World movies, that's just crazy talk, it'll be better very easily, you can book it. Edwards is a much better director than Trevorrow and I didn't like most of his films, at least his movies look good, Trevorrow is near rock bottom at both visuals and writing.

I think people forget that Edwards work in Jurassic World is just following orders. The movie did nearly all it’s pre-production without an director which says a lot. 

I bet this won’t follow his usual type of filmmaking and should be an easy and light fun movie that plays very safe and doesn’t even attempt to do any statement, it’s clearly a classic studio movie.

His job is to make it looks great, and we all know he can do that wonderfully.

• Like 1

Re King of the Monsters: I can understand basically all of the criticisms that people, who disliked the movie, have written here. Theyre completely valid. The film has a bad script, the fights are often a bit obscured and the rainy asthetic doesnt make it much better.

But for me (and many other Godzilla fans id say), it was just a pure dream come true to finally see Mothra, Rodan and especially King Ghidorah realized with a Hollywood budget. Every time i watch the monster scenes in the film i can completely overlook the movies flaws because im just happy that such a movie even exists in the first place.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Furiosa kinda feels like it’s gonna underwhelm and only get to 105 or something. Sad! 😢 

That movie has bomb written all over it. Nothing will save it. Not even great reviews. 

• Disbelief 1

Saw some Godzilla 2014 hate on here and just wanted to say that the movie wasn't building up to the airport fight but the final 2v1 showdown where we get to see the G-man in all his glory. And I found stuff like this

King of the Monsters: A Revelation 21 Years in the Making | by Geena Hardy  | Medium

to be more emotionally fulfilling than the soap opera-ish melodrama of Minus One.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

for movie to be successful in the 200-300 million DOM

The Office No GIF

For reference

Edited by M37

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The LOTR animated movie should do very well not only because it’s a Christmas release but because it’s a very stable franchise, just look at all 3 hobbits doing around 1B despite being meh.

I'm skeptical. We don't even know what the animation will look like.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm skeptical. We don't even know what the animation will look like.

It’s supposed to be in the vein of Puss In Boots 2 / SpiderVerse. Not exactly the same aesthetic, but with similar distinctive approach compared to Disney / Pixar.

Still, my main point is that it doesn’t even need to be great to succeed, like The Hobbit. 

Still i have high hopes, the director is very good.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

It’s supposed to be in the vein of Puss In Boots 2 / SpiderVerse. Not exactly the same aesthetic, but with similar distinctive approach compared to Disney / Pixar.

Still, my main point is that it doesn’t even need to be great to succeed, like The Hobbit. 

Still i have high hopes, the director is very good.

After the complete and utter disaster of The Rings of Power, id imagine Tolkien fans either are extremely sceptical now of anything Middle-Earth related that is coming out or maybe in the contrary, will strongly support this movie if its good ofc and respects the lore. I could see both happening.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m not great reading OS numbers, but seems like 120M OS by SUN is quite possible 

Charlie expects 115M so 120M is very much possible.

• Like 2