kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 80.01M G×K: THE NEW EMPIRE | 11.35M DUNE II

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

That's what's happens for a movie that even the most enthusiastic responses were eh its okay. 

The movie is terrible so I can't say I am surprised, especially with GxK opening today. They should have sticked with Christmas.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The movie is terrible so I can't say I am surprised, especially with GxK opening today. They should have sticked with Christmas.

Nah, October 2024 looks more open. Ghosts work better in October anyway.

6 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

As I have said until my heart exploded, Frozen Empire got a cursed release slot. RIGHT BETWEEN Dune and Godzilla x Kong was about as bad as "week before/after Barbenheimer" in terms of awful timing. Should've just gone for October this year.

Another release date wouldn't have changed the mediocre to poor audience reception. The only thing that could have been different is less of a weekend 2 drop to maybe 50% or so. This was always going to be a flop (more or less) no matter what Sony did here.

Edited by Jovan

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

As I have said until my heart exploded, Frozen Empire got a cursed release slot. RIGHT BETWEEN Dune and Godzilla x Kong was about as bad as "week before/after Barbenheimer" in terms of awful timing. Should've just gone for October this year.

And Dead Reckoning is a hundred times better than FE.  IMHO. 

• Like 1

Even if total “Friday” is 31 that still means true Friday of 21.6 or even slightly more. But I still expect Keyser’s 23-26 range holds, DL just being conservative.

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

And Dead Reckoning is a hundred times better than FE.  IMHO. 

Now here's a puzzler for you: how would Dead Reckoning do in Frozen Empire's slot?

And if you REALLY want to beat a dead horse, how would Honor Among Thieves do in Frozen Empire's slot?

Edited by MightyDargon

Yeah Deadline is probably doing it's thing but  remember this is not a normal Friday where the BO office does not pick up until people get off work and school. They are off work and school.  So a little frontloading may be happening here. I could see 10 m previews, 24 true Friday, flat Saturday  18 sunday for a 76 total. Or maybe it explodes tonight and the casuals continue to storm the theaters tomorrow and make it part of their easter Sunday festivities. Will see

12 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Now here's a puzzler for you: how would Dead Reckoning do in Frozen Empire's slot?

And if you REALLY want to beat a dead horse, how would Honor Among Thieves do in Frozen Empire's slot?

I think DR would have done better since it is better and GXK is no Barbenheimer. Not having summer weekdays would not have helped though.  Honor Among Thieves would have done about the same  I feel. It would have struggled to cross over to non nerd audiences no matter where it was probably. 

Edited by emoviefan

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Marvels did drop over 75% just four months ago in its second weekend.

That would be a horrifically awful hold that would put $100M total in jeopardy though if it holds up. Sony would be nuts to make another at this point knowing the potential isn't there unless they really slash the budget down, that's now 2 out of 3 modern attempts at this IP that will end up certified money-losers.

how awkward of an endpoint (story-wise)  would frozen empire be?

48 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Weekday holds were pointing to high 60s drop for Ghostbusters. Stuffing OW with fake cash doesn’t help here either.

Why do you say Ghostbusters was stuffed with fake cash?

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

how awkward of an endpoint (story-wise)  would frozen empire be?

Not at all, really. This is a franchise that clearly has nowhere left to go creatively (something that's probably been the case since the first movie).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

You guys kept telling me GB that had an all family audience, but why is it having a horror movie level like drop?

This is karma for saying OW was $45M?

To be fair, Godzilla x Kong is likely bringing in families too. They've been marketing towards that crowd as well, the trailer was even before my showing of Kung Fu Panda 4 a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

31 + 19 + 13 = 63M OW

It would be good if people weren't overhyping TFriday. Now it is a massive disappointment. Why would people do this?

Was leoh your alt this whole time?

• Haha 3