kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 15.54M GODZILLA×KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE

I know people dunk on Quorum, but those Apes metrics do indicate 50+ or 60+, and I can buy it. The Reeves trilogy still have a fan base, this appeals to the main audience going to movies, first big tentpole action we since GXK. Unless reviews are as stinky as the Burton movie, I have confidence in a breakout.

• Like 5

Garfield is the real wild card. Right now I’m feeling it’ll be like the Angry Birds movie back in 2016 where it gets overshadowed by the way bigger animated movie competition later that summer, but still gets a respectable 125+. But it could also do Wonka numbers and it wouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

Garfield is the real wild card. Right now I’m feeling it’ll be like the Angry Birds movie back in 2016 where it gets overshadowed by the way bigger animated movie competition later that summer, but still gets a respectable 125+. But it could also do Wonka numbers and it wouldn’t surprise me.

I'm thinking more that $125m is the tops for Garfield and it could go under $100m Dom. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I know people dunk on Quorum, but those Apes metrics do indicate 50+ or 60+, and I can buy it. The Reeves trilogy still have a fan base, this appeals to the main audience going to movies, first big tentpole action we since GXK. Unless reviews are as stinky as the Burton movie, I have confidence in a breakout.

I don’t know about breakout (are people tired of monkeys for the year?) but I do think it will probably have the biggest opening of May for the reasons that you stated. 

If something breaks out, I’m betting on either Garfield or Fall Guy. 

Edited by babz06

When it comes to the Fall Guy either streaming and Covid has killed the future of movies like it or it hasn't. It seems like it really is the litmus test for whether audiences just do not care no matter how good the buzz and WOM is for this type of movie. Until I see the actual results I will stay on the positive side of that and hope for the best. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I love that I'm not the only one getting Angry Birds vibes from Garfield. :)

43 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Oh I certainly agree with all this, I just worry it's about to get stuck in a weird critical and audience pile on of people calling it a "slog" or what have you. Just a weird gut feeling, especially given how early we got positive word on the last three. If it's actually good, I think it wins the month.

• Like 1

I’m feeling quite good about Planet Of The Apes. Though it should be noted that I think the series has a ceiling (Dawn being the exception) so I hope people keep that in mind if the film does similar numbers that War did.

Fall Guy I think has a shot of getting good audience turnout unless it ends up being another example of festival hype not translating.

Garfield should be the fun family movie for the month. Furiosa will probably be the best of the big movies that month but I’m expecting it to do poorly. IF feels DOA.

Overall, May probably won’t be great. At least June looks promising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I still think it was harsh for people to judge the film based on alliances and ideology not reflecting 2024 America. I didn't need it to take explicit sides on today's world. The problem is that the film has NOTHING to say about America at all at any point in our history - not our culture, our commerce, our values, nothing. The film might as well have taken place on Jupiter for all the weight this war happening in America is given. What's the big whoop of a Civil War in America if nobody comments on what any of this could mean?

I feel like the people who say this would have been mad regardless. The only way you’d be happy is if it said what you wanted to say. Would you really like it more if it said something that didn’t validate your worldview?

People can pretend that yes they would have or some variation of “I’d respect it more” but they were never gonna be pleased.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Every time I lean back towards maybe seeing it I read something like this. 

If it makes you feel better, I strongly disagree with Clay. I thought it was going to be eye roll worthy stuff, but I found the whole package fantastic. If anything, it has a ton to say about not just America, but just the universal concept of war and how we, directly or indirectly, are passive members of so many evil actions in our world. And how we have to step up and do our part, or otherwise let the abusive cycle continue.

Im gonna be ride or die on this movie, because I loved the hell out of this.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

If it makes you feel better, I strongly disagree with Clay. I thought it was going to be eye roll worthy stuff, but I found the whole package fantastic. If anything, it has a ton to say about not just America, but just the universal concept of war and how we, directly or indirectly, are passive members of so many evil actions in our world. And how we have to step up and do our part, or otherwise let the abusive cycle continue.

not going to get to see this until Thursday, but I suspected there’s deep subtext there so that sounds great. Can’t wait to see it. 

• Like 1

The box office the past 9 months is what it looks like when we dont have a movie be an event and be a part of the zeitgeist.

Over, the past 3 years, 5 movies have entered the top 15 domestic highest grosses of all time....NWH, TGM, Avatar 2, Barbie and Mario.  That's great but what happens when we don't have one of these "event" movies.  This is what the box office looks like.

GxK opened to 80m and is probably not hitting 200m.  GB opened to 45m and will barely crawl over 100m.  This is bad.  A bunch of movies aren't filling the gap.  I don't know the solution to get people to the theater.

May doesn't look like it has an "event" movie maybe Fall Guy is the one that surprises.

June has Inside Out 2 and you'd hope that can do Spiderverse numbers.  Bad Boys 4 maybe Transformers Rise of the Beast numbers. Quiet Place and Horizon open the last weekend of June but nothing else in June looks like a huge hit.

July needs Twisters, Despicable Me or Deadpool to be massive.  August has an Alien movie and thats about it.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I am glad you enjoyed it. I did not think it had anything to say about those things at all. I thought that bereft of any stakes or reflection on how monumental this would be, it felt like 1000 other post-apocalyptic movies. It felt more like 28 Days Later than any real reflection on what war would be like on our shores. And trust me - I LOVED that reviews were saying that was the angle. I wanted to see that story told - of how far a war could really go here in America. But it's so bereft of anything recognizably American - no people speaking about their lives, no reconciliation on how this event is felt, nobody really reacting to the war - that I feel the film genuinely failed to tell the story you are saying in your post.  This place could have taken place in any developed country and been the same movie and failed to say the same thing. Like I said, I respect your opinion and also am very glad it is making money!

The fall/winter is gonna need to be what saves this year. Right now I do think it looks pretty stacked with tentpoles. We just can't have any Marvels/Wishes turning up in them

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I am glad you enjoyed it. I did not think it had anything to say about those things at all. I thought that bereft of any stakes or reflection on how monumental this would be, it felt like 1000 other post-apocalyptic movies. It felt more like 28 Days Later than any real reflection on what war would be like on our shores. And trust me - I LOVED that reviews were saying that was the angle. I wanted to see that story told - of how far a war could really go here in America. But it's so bereft of anything recognizably American - no people speaking about their lives, no reconciliation on how this event is felt, nobody really reacting to the war - that I feel the film genuinely failed to tell the story you are saying in your post.  This place could have taken place in any developed country and been the same movie and failed to say the same thing. Like I said, I respect your opinion and also am very glad it is making money!

Hmm. May have to see it just to have a opinion on where I stand. I feel like this movie will get a lot of your reactions but also a lot of eric's.

• Like 2