MightyDargon

Weekend 4/19-21: ABIGAIL 1 mil previews

33 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's good. It's much more stylized, it's Ritchie's best looking movie, Cavill and Hammer have great chemistry, Alicia Vikander is funny, and Elizabeth Debicki is so hot.

Love The Man From Uncle. Should have been a big hit and started a series of Movies. The problem though they would have had to recast  for Hammer. Or they would have stopped at that point anyway.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Abigail is fun! Worth seeing with an audience.

Agreed! Even with a pretty small mid-afternoon crowd, there were a few parts that got really solid reactions at my screening.

• Like 1

Abigail was a lot of fun, but I’m also a pretty easy mark for Vampire stuff. Not as good as Ready or Not, but exponentially better than the last 2 Screams. Radio Silence have a real nasty habit of their movies just kind of meandering around for a good while though

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Does Tom Hardy count as a superhero guy? He wasn't exactly Mr. Famous before he played Bane, but I'd say he's definitely a draw to the point that he circled around and sold ANOTHER superhero role in large part due to his name power. 

I just wish Hardy would've used the success of Venom and led some other movies. He's done very few movies since then, even since 2015 which was his dynamo year with The Revenant and Mad Max Fury Road

That's why I'm eager to see if The Bikeriders can be a mini breakout. The Focus Features of it all is making me a bit pessimistic. Also hate the fact that he's given the AND billing credit. Massive mistake not to give him top billing and market it as a Tom Hardy-Austin Butler badass bikergang movie

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I just wish Hardy would've used the success of Venom and led some other movies. He's done very few movies since then, even since 2015 which was his dynamo year with The Revenant and Mad Max Fury Road

That's why I'm eager to see if The Bikeriders can be a mini breakout. The Focus Features of it all is making me a bit pessimistic. Also hate the fact that he's given the AND billing credit. Massive mistake not to give him top billing and market it as a Tom Hardy-Austin Butler badass bikergang movie

Yeah Bikeriders is probably making  10-15 opening weekend tops. And with Horizon Part 1 opening the following weekend legs will probably be short. You will really be stretching the infrequent adult audience at that point.

Abigail was fun, but i do think the trailer revealing the nature of it’s plot hurted the experience a lot since the first half is a big build up to a reveal we already expect from the first second. Still, very fun movie, not as good as Ready or Not but more interesting than what Radio Silence did with Scream.

I will not stand by this Scream slander. Radio Silence delivered the best sequel in the franchise (VI). They know how to use a camera and are able to deliver striking imagery in those two films, and their depiction of violence works well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Civil War was pretty great. I’m slightly confused about the discourse of the movie being unclear about it’s ideology, i though it was obvious they was dealing with a fascist in the moment the line “third mandate” dropped. It helps that nearly all the people we see in the pov of our characters are women, Asian, black, queer and other minorities. 

It paints the picture that usually starts all war, fascism and repression towards minorities that have to fight back, i didn’t really needed any backstory to get what triggered it, and the specified details of how seems really unnecessary to what the movie is doing.

Really liked how it portraits a victory against fascism, showing how the left have to drop our ideas of being morally superior and get our hands dirty in order to win, it’s dehumanizing for sure, not pleasant at all to think about, but seems like a cold hard truth to me. 

And of course it’s a very interesting discussion about the very idea of registering something so difficult, very meta when you think about what the movie is portraying. But yeah, overall great movie, loved Dunst, Plemons and Moura performances especially.

And of course, trying to stay on topic now, i’m very happy about it’s performance, 55% drop for this is pretty great. I think 70-75M finish is likely.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I will not stand by this Scream slander. Radio Silence delivered the best sequel in the franchise (VI). They know how to use a camera and are able to deliver striking imagery in those two films, and their depiction of violence works well.

I strongly prefer Scream 2 and 4, i think they’re both exceptional and kinda underrated. 

I find Scream 5 coward, but 6 is decent indeed, and very well made. I just think it lacks Wes soul. 

Honestly if Radio Silence no longer being involved with the Scream movies means a new bonkers supernatural horror movie in the same fashion as Ready or Not and now Abigail from them every 2-3 years...well, you sure as hell won't see me complaining!

• Like 1

Honestly the Barrera firing seems even wilder given the kind of developments that happened since then. Hopefully her career’s not really affected too much (if at all) since she’s been solid in everything I’ve seen her in so far

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

as long as he can avoid falling off any horses he still pretty easily clears the best career for a Superman actor bar. attractive bland actors like him usually only get a couple years of real relevance he's doing pretty well by that standard.

When growing up, I only knew Christopher Reeve as the paralyzed actor who used to be Superman before his accident. And I just assumed that he got paralyzed pretty early on in his life. Only found out much later that he had the accident in 1995 and passed away in 2004. He was only in the wheelchair for about 8 and a half years of his 52 year life. 

10 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

The reason people feel bad for Cavill is cause he's so hot.

Saw this picture last week of Cavill and his 4 brothers and none of them look like they are related to him or to each other

henry-cavill-and-his-4-brothers-v0-08jbg

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

6 was great and refreshing after so many Sidney and Woodsboro centric movies. I’m not sure why people think Kevin Williamson will direct a better movie than Radio Silence. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

6 was great and refreshing after so many Sidney and Woodsboro centric movies. I’m not sure why people think Kevin Williamson will direct a better movie than Radio Silence. 

Radio Silence are some of the best horror directors around right now. Wonder how long for them to get proper credit.

I was talking to a friend of mine about what we would do if we were running either DC or Marvel, and we both agreed on trying to get to do a movie.

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Radio Silence are some of the best horror directors around right now. Wonder how long for them to get proper credit.

I was talking to a friend of mine about what we would do if we were running either DC or Marvel, and we both agreed on trying to get to do a movie.

What property would you want them to do? 

Civil war is great, very well-crafted and retain the niche feature of A24 brand. I don’t think its apolitical tone hurt the movie quality, instead, the direction allows the movie to focus on photojournalism like Spotlight meet the Killing field. But, I do think the lack of backstory of the war itself limit the movie from becoming greater.

• Like 1