kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | estimates | 15.01M CHALLENGERS | 7.73M UNSUNG HERO | 7.22M GODZILLA×KONG: TNE

52 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

From Deadline - Some might snipe that for a movie of this budget to do this kind of number is meh, or really harp on “Oh, this is how much Zendaya is worth without a franchise,” however, the whole industry should just count its blessings in a funky marketplace, this weekend delivering some $65M, off 36% from the same weekend a year ago. 

I love Deadline Anthony.  Man really missed his calling being a spokesperson for politicians.   No idea how he'll handle The Fall Guy opening to 25m next weekend.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/box-office-challengers-zendaya-1235896116/

Written by zendaya herself 💀

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire counts $324.2M internationally and $176.2M domestically, for a combined global total of $504.0M

Dune: Part Two counts $422.3M overseas and currently $278.3M. The pic debuted in 78 markets with Legendary East handling distribution in China.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

What was your Speed experience like in '94? From what I understand, expectations for the movie were not high, until test screenings indicated the potential of a sleeper. Do you remember how it played? 

I remember becoming aware of the movie when MTV had a movie show and in the fall of 93 they visited the set and I was like this could be a cool little movie. But then the first trailer dropped in the like Feb or March of 94 and that trailer just blew my socks off. An then the buzz about the test screenings  and then when the reviews dropped it like was like holy shit.  Saw it opening week  and it was like right from that first time of seeing it that this was a classic action movie. It only opened to 14 million and then just kept hanging there with low drops every week and finished with about 120 million DOM.  That is a IM of almost 9. God I miss those days when movies could do that.

6 minutes ago, Nitrojen said:

Written by zendaya herself 💀

It's interesting that Zendaya was able to WILL herself into stardom. She failed as a popstar (remember that flop song Replay?) and then quickly pivoted. I'm not saying she has no talent but she must have some powerful people behind her determined to make her a thing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLE48i4XY0

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 3

Three big chain movie theaters that closed near me are now reopening under new regional management, so that's something I'm latching onto for hope. 

I wouldn't mind something of a course correction where the exhibition industry isn't dominated so much by the big three AMC/Cinemark/Regal chains. The future might be more local exhibitor competition where the experience is different from theater to theater, and they aren't reliant so much on corporate strategy to determine what they can and can't show.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Flopped said:

It's interesting that Zendaya was able to WILL herself into stardom. She failed as a popstar (remember that flop song Replay?) and then quickly pivoted. I'm not saying she has no talent but she must have some powerful people behind her determined to make her a thing. 

Everything about this movie feels forced and inorganic. I mean, it’s still too early to call it a flop, but I’ve never seen such an aggressive marketing push for a movie. If I weren’t aware of the movie title, I would have guessed they were promoting a movie like Barbie or some tentpole, but it’s just a freaking indie movie with a bigger budget. It’s so obvious that the media and some celebrities are pushing this narrative that Zendaya is a movie star who can put butts in the seats, lol.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Disney. I will go as far to say that she doesn't have talent. She can not act.

Whenever Rodrigo starts to pivot to movies she'll probably be the more talented Disney product.

• Thanks 1

I am quite disappointed by 15m from challengers to be frank, I was expecting something more than 20m. I really don’t see expect studio to postpone to avoid strike impact just for a 15m opening, this is basically the same as NHF. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Flopped said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLE48i4XY0

221M views is not a flop

• Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am quite disappointed by 15m from challengers to be frank, I was expecting something more than 20m. I really don’t see expect studio to postpone to avoid strike impact just for a 15m opening, this is basically the same as NHF. 

Eh, $15M is still better than it probably would've made in September without a press tour. Expectations might've become inflated.

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

NHF achieved this without JLaw's social media presence (she doesn’t have almost 200M followers on IG) and her film having only a fraction of Challengers' marketing, along with a smaller budget, fewer screens, no IMAX, no glowing reviews and facing more competition and not to mention the writer strike.

Edited by Nitrojen
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nitrojen said:

Everything about this movie feels forced and inorganic. I mean, it’s still too early to call it a flop, but I’ve never seen such an aggressive marketing push for a movie. If I weren’t aware of the movie title, I would have guessed they were promoting a movie like Barbie or some tentpole, but it’s just a freaking indie movie with a bigger budget. It’s so obvious that the media and some celebrities are pushing this narrative that Zendaya is a movie star who can put butts in the seats, lol.

yeah the campaign was kinda weird. All these movies accounts on twitter posted anything about red carpets, interviews etc.. at the level of Barbie and Oppenheimer and more than any other big movie released after that, to the point now what it's a more than decent debut for this kinda of a movie seems weak cause it was hyped like one of the movies of the year.

Anyways another proof twitter is now more irrelevant than tumblr. Doesn't represent real people taste, real people perceptions, real people diversity but it's just a limited group of people with a very specific taste. Also it's the social were the people are more fake than the others, they just like- dislike things and depends if this can give engangements. So the positive engangment you can find there can be very fake and staged. If i would be a marketing strategist i would give that social very few attention at this point. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

A guy at work said The Fall Guy looked like a Netflix Original Movie and that stuck with me. It doesn’t look bad - it just looks Netflix-y (maybe it’s Gosling. IDK).

I was thinking it looks like Red Notice - big stars, big stunts, a twist, and a sorta-but-not-totally rom com.

It's why I've been thinking it's not catching. Netflix has made these movies available for free, so why pay $20/person for a date night weekend? 

If it weren't for that marketing campaign challengers would probably be doing cmbyn numbers at best (that's what pretty much every other tennis movie has done to this point), so I think it was effective to a certain degree

• Disbelief 1

yeah full guy can give the "netflix vibe". Then the film should just better than anything netflix has ever made with this genre cause they are all near to panned movies and this is not, but people don't know so yeah this could be part of the problem. Gosling in what's is the promotional material gives for the look and the attitude definitely the vibe of that terrible movie he made for netflix. 

Just now, AniNate said:

If it weren't for that marketing campaign challengers would probably be doing cmbyn numbers at best (that's what pretty much every other tennis movie has done to this point), so I think it was effective to a certain degree

well if you spend 30M on promotion and that's give you only 15M more at the box office it's better to make 15M less or you have lost 15M more 😅

of course this is not the case cause it's amazon etc.. etc... 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Zendaya can act .

Just watch euphoria. That role is made for her.

It's just Hollywood gives her roles that are really not suited to her personality.

She was terrible casting choice for MJ in Tom Holland spiderman movies in hindsight.

She was solid in dune 2 .

Remember the teen heart throb that DiCaprio was in his early days and then he transitioned into tour de force  he is today.

To give her credit, for former Disney  child star  ( yes 11 year old me watched shake it up on repeat) quite impressed how she has been able to get out of that whole circle ,not many of her peers did or do . She curved out a name for herself.