kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 27.75M THE FALL GUY | 8.72M SW: EP I - TPM | 7.59M CHALLENGERS | 6.50M TAROT

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Ryan Gosling has zero star power. This opening is proof. 

not as action star. Fans of blockbusters are not Gosling fans. 

That wolfman movie by Cianfrance he was supposed to star but skipped?.

That's an horror movie A24 style he could open with similar numbers

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Are you using the DEADPOOL movies as your reference? People saw those because of the character and not because of the actor. Reynolds' biggest movie outside of CBMs and animated movies is THE PROPOSAL with 317.4M worldwide. Gosling on the other hand has LA LA LAND with 472.0M. I also think people watched BARBIE because of his great portrayal of Ken and not necessarily because Ken is a known character.

That's a complicated situation since this portrayal of Ken is so popular because Ken is a pretty known character. This is the situation with many aspects of Barbie movie.

Also, Deadpool wasn't a really popular character between general audience before his movie. It's likely the concept of the movie what really attracted people.

Edited by Kon

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think Ryan Gosling is a star but not a draw. People know who he is, especially women, but that doesn’t mean people will go out to watch a movie starring him 

i think he's one of the actors with the most cult- famous movies in the last 15-20 years. 

The notebook, Drive, Crazy stupid love, La La Land, BD 2049, Barbie I think they all are future classics and movies people love also them because he's there.

Blue Valentine, The place Beyond the lines, The nice guys are others movies became cult and remembered too.

I see why producers cast him. In some way almost all his movies even if not all smashes at the box office kinda became cult, have long legs so this shows he's a respected actor but not a draw for a blockbuster, big movies. Only pure action stars can open these kind of movies now.

Btw Emily Blunt is in the movie too and she's payed as Gosling, should be supposed to be a draw too.

I would say for her it's the same for Gosling. She can make the difference for movies like Sicario, A quiet Place or the The girl on the train but it's not a draw for 200M dollars blockbusters (

Edited by vale9001

19 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Letterboxd rating surprisingly low for what should be a feel good crowdpleaser blockbuster. Below Civil War's at the moment

It's a solid number and it's early.  It's neither a fan boy film nor an art nerd film so it's not going to start in the 4s on LB or 8s on IMDB

27 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Letterboxd rating surprisingly low for what should be a feel good crowdpleaser blockbuster. Below Civil War's at the moment

Civil War is a A24 movie, it is automatically going to be inflated on Letterboxd.

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Civil War is a A24 movie, it is automatically going to be inflated on Letterboxd.

I would not say it's inflated, it's consistent with every other channel save I guess the B- Cinemascore.

I just thought there might be more 10/10 enthusiasm for Fall Guy though given how much it's been stanned here

49 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Brian-Puking-Family-Guy.gif

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I'm getting DnD flashbacks 

Still makes me sad that movies run. Deserved much more.

• Like 1

People aren't deciding to 'Go the movies' these days and choosing what is on offer. They are going to see something. Event films or something to keep the kids busy.  

• Like 1

were it not for 2 very negative reviews, the fall guy's Metacritic score would be maverick-tier, yet audience reactions in no way reflect that

weird movie for there to be a critic-audience divide, did critics give it a pass because its a movie about movies?

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

I don't think the BO is bad because theaters are a luxury. Last summer was a hit with Barbenheimer. Nothing big financially happened in a year. It's just the lack of attractive product imo because of the strike

Its not even the strike. The big ticket films were delayed from 2025 really. This year was always bare. 

Posted (edited)

Gosling is a star . He is just not a box office draw.  Barbenhienmer was its own phenomenon.

Same shit will probably happen to Margot Robbie.

Meh numbers for TFG . Yeah lost city  type movie. Best I see is a free guy type of run.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

were it not for 2 very negative reviews, the fall guy's Metacritic score would be maverick-tier, yet audience reactions in no way reflect that

weird movie for there to be a critic-audience divide, did critics give it a pass because its a movie about movies?

There are no verified scores available for Fall Guy.

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

There's a difference between "good but not great" Fresh reviews and "SEE NOW" Fresh reviews.

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

There's a difference between "good but not great" Fresh reviews and "SEE NOW" Fresh reviews.

Most people don’t click to read the reviews. They see the % and close the page. Rotten Tomatoes recently updated to make the reviews more difficult to find. When you google a film it now displays the RT audience score instead for some films. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Most people don’t click to read the reviews. They see the % and close the page. Rotten Tomatoes recently updated to make the reviews more difficult to find. When you google a film it now displays the RT audience score instead for some films. 

Again, nobody is actually going to remember the "high" scores if the actual buzz is "good, not great" for a movie they weren't terribly interested in in the first place.

Fall Guy's Metacritic is a more realistic 73/100.

Edited by MightyDargon

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

Again, nobody is actually going to remember the "high" scores if the actual buzz is "good, not great" for a movie they weren't terribly interested in in the first place.

Fall Guy's Metacritic is a more realistic 73/100.

General audience has never heard of Metacritic tho. And I disagree, a lot of the general audience only see the score on social media, never mind the website itself.