AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

20 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

1) Mexico Theaters removed the short after 4 days due to complaints I think? I'm sure Disney was planning to show kept the short with Coco forever, until they heard the backlash
2) I have to no clue how this will be handled in Japan. If Disney is smart they will keep the short off of Coco there.

So, it's been shown in Mexico too ... but only for some first days and then got removed? 

8 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Disney is not removing the short because of any sort of imaginary internet backlash. It's going to air on ABC around the holidays. 

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I doubt Disney didn't hear of the backlash. If people liked the short, it would have stayed.

So, is it being shown in China too? and in the rest of the countries where it's already been released like France, Spain and some asian and south american countries?

Just now, meriodejaneiro said:

Just because it was scheduled to be shown for a week, or due to complains they decided to remove it? Or it's not really clear?

Isn't clear, the chains said it was because Disney only ordered it for the first week of Coco's release, but complains were that much that everyone thought it was cause of it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Just because it was scheduled to be shown for a week, or due to complains they decided to remove it? Or it's not really clear?

The story I heard was it got pulled because of massive complaints.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carlangonz said:

Isn't clear, the chains said it was because Disney only ordered it for the first week of Coco's release, but complains were that much that everyone thought it was cause of it.

1 minute ago, RRA said:

The story I heard was it got pulled because of massive complaints.

But Coco got released way before in Mexico than in north america ...and i didn't read a news about the controversy with the short, only when it got released in north america. All were news about the huge box office numbers Coco was making in Mexico.

55 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

But Coco got released way before in Mexico than in north america ...and i didn't read a news about the controversy with the short, only when it got released in north america. All were news about the huge box office numbers Coco was making in Mexico.

There are, but all of them from mexican media. Whether it was pulled due to complaints or because it was scheduled, that decision helped a lot, since holiday for Dia de los Muertos was happening and that second weekend had the tremendous jump (and best second weekend ever).

I thought would be different in the US, since Frozen is huge there, meanwhile in Mexico is just "meh", away from the Pixar/Illumination league.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

So, is it being shown in China too? and in the rest of the countries where it's already been released like France, Spain and some asian and south american countries?

According to Olive, shorts are not shown in Chinese theaters because they require extra quota from the government. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

From what I understand, they don't show the Frozen short in China.

• Thanks 1

Edited by PNF2187

OFFICIAL now. The short is gone this week.

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure, one of Disney’s less lauded short films, will soon be leaving theaters after screening in front of Pixar’s Coco, the animated film inspired by Mexico’s Day of the Dead. Yet while some have suggested it’s a direct response to poor audience reactions, EW has learned that isn’t the case. Olaf’s Frozen Adventure was always promoted and scheduled as a limited run, EW has confirmed, with its theatrical play slated to conclude next week, as has recently been reported. “This was always promoted as a limited run so it’s not really a story — the end of our Olaf theatrical play is coming next week,” a Disney representative told EW. “All our ads and messaging called it as such.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/03/olafs-frozen-adventure-pulled-coco/

53 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

I'm pretty sure that's just saving face

"It was the plan all along!"

It’s always been stated that it’s a limited release short. If anyone watches Disney Channel, the short was advertised on there even more than Coco and it always mentioned that it was for a limited time. Perhaps, it was supposed to be for longer, but I doubt that. If Disney was really responding to the backlash and thought it was damaging Coco’s BO, they’d have pulled it last Friday instead of waiting several more days.