AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

Just got back from the movie, loved it BUT HOLY CRAP IN A PEANUT THE FROZEN SHORT IS UNBEARABLE. We intentionally got to the theater 30 FUCKING MINUTES LATE and were still worried we might miss some of the movie, but nope, it was only like halfway through the short and it kept going ON AND ON AND ON.

Everyone was clearly relieved once the short was over, I've never heard so much irritated muttering during the credits of a movie before. Disney can't get rid of this thing quickly enough.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Just got back from the movie, loved it BUT HOLY CRAP IN A PEANUT THE FROZEN SHORT IS UNBEARABLE. We intentionally got to the theater 30 FUCKING MINUTES LATE and were still worried we might miss some of the movie, but nope, it was only like halfway through the short and it kept going ON AND ON AND ON.

Everyone was clearly relieved once the short was over, I've never heard so much irritated muttering during the credits of a movie before. Disney can't get rid of this thing quickly enough.

If you went 30 min late to the theater and missed part of the Frozen short, how can you tell it was THAT unbearable? 

Let's make some maths from end to beginning..

- Movie 110 min

- Pixar short ¿10 min?

- Olaf short 21 min

- commercials trailers .... 20 min ---> according to your statement, if you entered 30 min late, and the Olaf short was in the middle, that means it had already been 10 min of Olaf's + 20 min since the official show's start time ...

You can even reach 50 min late from the scheduled time for the movie and yet you wouldn't miss a second of Coco. Kind of unbelievable. 

Isn't it too much 20 full minutes of commercials + trailers? I mean, 20+21+10+110 = 161 min (2h41m) for a kids show? 

:whosad:

47 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

If you went 30 min late to the theater and missed part of the Frozen short, how can you tell it was THAT unbearable? 

Let's make some maths from end to beginning..

- Movie 110 min

- Pixar short ¿10 min?

- Olaf short 21 min

- commercials trailers .... 20 min ---> according to your statement, if you entered 30 min late, and the Olaf short was in the middle, that means it had already been 10 min of Olaf's + 20 min since the official show's start time ...

You can even reach 50 min late from the scheduled time for the movie and yet you wouldn't miss a second of Coco. Kind of unbelievable. 

Isn't it too much 20 full minutes of commercials + trailers? I mean, 20+21+10+110 = 161 min (2h41m) for a kids show? 

:whosad:

There was no Pixar short.

• Thanks 1

The Frozen short is just unbelievably unnecessary and has hurt Coco. Thankfully, its amazing WOM and the fact that there won't be any Frozen shorts in a week is great news. If it actually manages to fall just 45%...then $250m is going to happen.

The sneeze short was fine since it was short and to the point. Also I'm sure it did help push Cinderella to 200m DOM.

But this new short with Coco was unneeded.

I'm glad Disney isn't tone deaf to the criticism over the new short, and are telling theaters to remove it starting next Friday.

Given the International Box Office Tread is a bit of a miscellaneous, and the controversy around Frozen short attached to Coco seems to be very strong, I trow a couple of questions...

- is Disney attaching it everywhere, and also for two weeks only? I mean, there have been complains about it in other countries apart from north america? or will the short be attached internationally for the whole run everywhere except USA/Canada?

... and even if it is very bad received internationally, as it seems to be, will Disney show it in Japan before Coco? (remember Frozen made $250M in Japan ... and a bad Frozen short could damage the brand in Japan. Or maybe they are such huge Frozen's fan that they will swallow no matter what and will massively go to the theaters to see it).

Disney will remove the awful 20-minute 'Frozen' short from 'Coco' this week

Disney has directed theaters running Coco, Pixar's latest, to remove the deeply unpopular 22-minute Frozen short that plays in front of each screening. The removal goes into effect on Dec. 8, sources familiar with the matter confirmed to Mashable.

The request from Disney also asks that theaters use the newly freed-up time to hold extra screenings of Coco each day.

Some have also accused Disney of shameless self-promotion, for swapping in what is seen as an ad for Frozen 2 — which is out in Nov. 2019 — where there would usually be a Pixar creation. As Mashable's Brittany Levine wrote last week, Olaf's Frozen Adventure "felt like Disney was spitting in my popcorn for 21 minutes."

http://mashable.com/2017/12/02/coco-olaf-frozen-adventure-short-removed/#FVJ8m1Cq0kqV

Edited by Mojoguy

- is Disney attaching it everywhere, and also for two weeks only? I mean, there have been complains about it in other countries apart from north america? or will the short be attached internationally for the whole run everywhere except USA/Canada?

... and even if it is very bad received internationally, as it seems to be, will Disney show it in Japan before Coco? (remember Frozen made $250M in Japan ... and a bad Frozen short could damage the brand in Japan. Or maybe they are such huge Frozen's fan that they will swallow no matter what and will massively go to the theaters to see it).

1) Mexico Theaters removed the short after 4 days due to complaints I think? I'm sure Disney was planning to show kept the short with Coco forever, until they heard the backlash
2) I have to no clue how this will be handled in Japan. If Disney is smart they will keep the short off of Coco there.
  • Thanks 1