BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

I have a feeling IF is going to be a film critics don't like because of a weird dislike of Ryan Reynolds but audiences enjoy because they don't actually dislike Ryan Reynolds.

I think it's going to exceed $35 million, but I don't bet on the box office for a reason.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I have a feeling IF is going to be a film critics don't like because of a weird dislike of Ryan Reynolds but audiences enjoy because they don't actually dislike Ryan Reynolds.

I think it's going to exceed $35 million, but I don't bet on the box office for a reason.

For the most part, Reynolds films are reviewed well, only the noticeably bad ones get panned (Red Notice etc).

Whoa, didn't know he was almost 50.

Anyway, I like the guy, but have no inclination to see this movie.  Still, for cinemas, I hope it does well.

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Or you could read some actual reviews and see the actual reasons critics didn't like it instead of making shit up.

• Like 6

Just now, CJohn said:

30M+ would be solid if there wasn't a family juggernaut opening in 7 days.

Chris Pratt voicing his disdain for lasagna will kill that movie. BOMB BOMB BOMB. Sub-30M disaster.

On a more serious note, yeah, this will do okay for its first week, but then it'll be pushed out by Garfield big time. Early word for that one seems a lot better than this movie as well. Garfield also has a not too bad novelty factor as he's not a very oversaturated or overused character.

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Juggernaut is not exactly the word I would use for Garfield.

As a merchandising phenomenon yes it is a juggernaut but as a movie, not so much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Garfield feels like it's going to land in the $35-45M range at best next weekend. Which might be enough for #1 in the battle with Furiosa.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Garfield feels like it's going to land in the $35-45M range at best next weekend. Which might be enough for #1 in the battle with Furiosa.

Furiosa is tracking that poorly??

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Furiosa is tracking that poorly??

I mean, it's not too far from what Fury Road opened with? Considering the prequel of it all, coming close to that movie's numbers would be relatively impressive.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I mean, it's not too far from what Fury Road opened with? Considering the prequel of it all, coming close to that movie's numbers would be relatively impressive.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I thought it was looking like Furiosa had the potential to do over 50 for the 4 days but maybe the presales have come down after the initial rush of fan base/cinephile crowd bought their tickets.

Low-mid 30s opening wouldn't be as promising for IF as the 40s trackings was indicating with that $110mil budget, but it also at least doesn't seem like it's being Wish-level rejected so far, and maybe intl auds will be coming through for it as well based on that France opening. Would be a low-key success story for original auteur-driven content even if this isn't one that's to adult tastes so much.

• Like 1