BadOlCatSylvester

Weekend Thread (5/17-19/2024) | WEEKEND ESTIMATES: $35M for IF, $12M for Strangers, $2.85M for Back to Black, $26M for Apes

7 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

The lack of respect for Abigail and other horror entries this year tears me apart. I thought Abigail in particular was clever and funny as hell.

Horror fans have a horrible taste. Actual good horror films don't do well and overly hyped nonsense horror break records. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Horror fans have a horrible taste. Actual good horror films don't do well and overly hyped nonsense horror break records. 

Never truer than with Smile. 

2 hours ago, Eric the IF said:

Oh, and this is actually legit solid stuff disregarding tracking. Like this is what I expected and something Paramount should be happy with. It's also now the second-biggest opening for a totally original movie, only behind Nope.

also probably best opening for original picture for Paramount since A Quiet Place

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

$11.5m would be under Night Swim’s “record”. Hopefully Sunday can hold a little better to stay over $12m. But a small increase from true Friday is fine considering the WOM. 

Or Night Swim’s $11.8m. 

Edited by Krissykins

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Smile is really good

Yeh agreed. 

and you don’t get a 4.7x multiplier without any holiday weekends for no reason. WOM was… killer. :) Not just audience reception too, critics are 79% certified fresh on Smile. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Revival of a declining franchise? What the hell lmao

It's badly worded but I think he's saying War declined from Dawn so this is good. This is under the "B cinemascore is death" concept though.

I’ve got to be honest. Around $35 million opening for IF, with a holiday weekend and summer weekdays ahead - how can this be painted as anything but a solid hit? 

The Saturday jump is hugely encouraging too. I see nothing to be negative about. 

Will Garfield hit it? Yeah probably. Yet family movies have proven before that they can co-exist just fine. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They should both get a nice cushion from the nothing that is the May 31 weekend at least

I'll never understand why studios just let that weekend sit there with nothing ultimately claiming it even from a counterprogramming standpoint. Mad Max and Bad Boys aren't big enough IPs that would cause fear of getting lost in the shuffle.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'll never understand why studios just let that weekend sit there with nothing ultimately claiming it even from a counterprogramming standpoint. Mad Max and Bad Boys aren't big enough IPs that would cause fear of getting lost in the shuffle.

The Watchers should have moved up to that weekend.