kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

It's not just May its the year. The few hits in summer arent enough, that been the problem all year.  June will finish 30-35% behind June last year.  Summer box office is trending to finish under 3 billion.

It’s been dire overall since last Aug. Only one movie clearly past 20M tickets since Barbenheimer (Wonka right on the line tbf) and even that only got to ~25M. It’s very understandable why people are gloomy with that backdrop.   

June and July should finally have some big hits though so that’ll be nice while it lasts

Edited by Legion Again
  • Like 2

Bad Boys 4 saved Will Smiths's career after the Slap. Shows studios Smith can still sell movies. This is one of the most important movies of the year.

Happy for him. He deserved a second chance. One mistake shouldn't ruin a man's life and he has shown remorse for his actions.

10 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Transformers.

Fallen - 402m domestic.

Age of Extinction - 858m OS.

Dark of the Moon - 1.123B worldwide

Which one had the highest China gross?

Sure but let's also not pretend that there wasn't much more and bigger product last year.  Also, ofc we're not going to hit June from last year. From new releases to holdovers, there was more and consistently bigger last year. Ofc we will be down. All this hilarious nonsense of trying to see how there's no movies to replace this or that from June last year. There isn't genius. That's the point. It's going to be down from 2023, need a PowerPoint presentation? 

It doesn't take much to figure that out. I think at least, maybe my brain just isn't constantly over thinking. Box office was never always a uptrend. There's down years, down months all that crap. It's all about the PRODUCT. Specially today. 

Can already imagine the hilarious focus and Doom being posted here when March 2025 is lower than March 2024 even tho it's just so obvious this far out. 

Edited by justnumbers

9 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Good to hear. But A final total of 160?  With summer weekdays and good WOM and like no competition at all it should  do better than that.

Once the $5 tickets are all out (sales stopped yesterday, but you could buy through all presale periods, so I expect a lot of Father's Day weekend buys happened, too), if the movie doesn't break a little further out of its current demo breakdown, it will struggle to go higher.  It's the nature of that demo of movie...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Once the $5 tickets are all out (sales stopped yesterday, but you could buy through all presale periods, so I expect a lot of Father's Day weekend buys happened, too), if the movie doesn't break a little further out of its current demo breakdown, it will struggle to go higher.  It's the nature of that demo of movie...

Yeah good point. So far it's performing right along with KOTPA that did 58 this will do 56-57 depending on those sunday final totals. So at least 160-170 like Apes looks like it will finish with. But it will have stronger weekdays than that just due to the release date. These next 7 days through father's day will really be important. 

Extra 500k to 56.5m OW. Fri came slightly lower.

Overall it is 9.6x IM for OW, a very very high IM for an live action movie.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
Jun 6, 2024 P $5,875,000   3,339 $1,760   $5,875,000  
Jun 7, 2024 1 $21,450,000   3,885 $5,521   $21,450,000 1
Jun 8, 2024 1 $19,500,000 -9% 3,885 $5,019   $40,950,000 2
Jun 9, 2024 1 $15,550,000 -20% 3,885 $4,003   $56,500,000 3
  • Like 4

Like "Bad Boys", "Inside Out" was also released before the Pandemic.   It did 90 OW (And came in 2nd, which is crazy) back in 15.  I wonder how much it will hold serve, increase or decrease from that 90 OW.   I'm hoping for a softer 2nd weekend drop for "Bad Boys" with Father's Day.   Also with estimates going slightly to 66.5, that means it's a 105 Million WW OW.  

5 hours ago, justnumbers said:

It was a great movie even if the room was empty and my friend fell asleep. RIP Furiosa. We speak your name.

“I feel TERRIBLE for anyone who didn’t get to witness this in theaters.”

Sir, I promise you - we are fine. Please calm down.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Like "Bad Boys", "Inside Out" was also released before the Pandemic.   It did 90 OW (And came in 2nd, which is crazy) back in 15.  I wonder how much it will hold serve, increase or decrease from that 90 OW.   I'm hoping for a softer 2nd weekend drop for "Bad Boys" with Father's Day.   Also with estimates going slightly to 66.5, that means it's a 105 Million WW OW.  

Inside out will increase for sure. They are not comparable as its only 2nd movie and its coming after 9 years after a movie with universal acclaim. This is the 4th movie with actors aging out and not that popular outside the franchise. Its kudos to the franchise power plus the target audience not having that many movies helped it retain most of its audience. 

Big thing for Bad Boys is it will lose all Imax/PLF. That will have some impact. But Father's day should help and post 2nd weekend I am expecting a good run. It should hopefully hit 3x legs and gross around 170m domestic. Overseas I am not impressed so far and so will probably finish well under 400m WW. 

44 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I think Inside Out 2 should have a 100m OW. Just from the latest tracking they're doing.

25 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I suppose it is a lost cause now to fight for the "$85mil is an ok opening actually" narrative

I honestly wouldn't be mad at 85, that would be the biggest Animated Opening of the year.   But this time it's not going up against "Jurassic World", only "Bad Boys" in it's 2nd Frame.  Presales and Tracking are looking good for it but the Audiences will have the final say.  I guess this is the weekend "Garfield' takes a big hit.   Ironically "Inside Out" is coming out 9 years later just like "Furiosa" did from "Fury Road".  The big difference is it's a direct sequel and they are bringing back all the original characters just adding some new ones.