Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Wish Twisters could've held better but it's still not as harsh a drop as Bourne's second Friday. Should be good for at least $250mil, maybe more if theaters are willing to keep it around longer than its historical comps.  Oppy legs from here would get it to $265mil, probably the main obstacle is how much faith theaters will be willing to put in Borderlands.

Seems like the kids movies are what are really going to benefit from spillover this weekend more than Twisters. Despicable Me 4 had its best Friday hold of its run. Wasn't still drawing capacity crowds before this weekend so more people could actually fit into the smaller auditoriums it was already in.

Kids movie is always going to be the most protected film against another R-rated action giant. Cinema wouldn't want to drop off family crowd, leaving family out of option when they want to spend time in cinema. As for Twisters, it is having harsh drop no doubt but the main issue is clearly not the lack of demand, but the lack the PLF screen, especially 4DX. There is no reason for Universal to not having 4DX shared with DP3. Twisters is clashing into DP3 titan in the best shape possible, they should demand 4DX screen back , even for just one show per day. 

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Wow the lines at Disney AMC are insane. Have not seen this since maybe NWH. Nothing brings gangbuster business like an anticipated marvel movie 

Marvel is always king.

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Kids movie is always going to be the most protected film against another R-rated action giant. Cinema wouldn't want to drop off family crowd, leaving family out of option when they want to spend time in cinema. As for Twisters, it is having harsh drop no doubt but the main issue is clearly not the lack of demand, but the lack the PLF screen, especially 4DX. There is no reason for Universal to not having 4DX shared with DP3. Twisters is clashing into DP3 titan in the best shape possible, they should demand 4DX screen back , even for just one show per day. 

Twisters should have released on August 2. Disney probably would have moved Deadpool up to July 19

6 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

Rest of the year looks like smooth sailing for the box office, early 2025 looks a little rough though 

January - February 2025 looks better than 2024. March - April ain't bad either.

• Like 1

January, February, April, and May look way better next year, but the months that have been strong this year (March, June-August) look worse. September-December look weaker too but it's early. Still need to see if Spider-Verse gets added somewhere, that would be huge.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is 650m dead for Inside Out 2?

I haven't seen anyone say that. But it will be close. It just had it's best Friday hold yet and likely it's best weekend to weekend drop yet. Momentum is that it has a real chance at it still.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Is 650m dead for Inside Out 2?

I could see it maybe reaching it, maybe even 651M. But not more.

• Haha 3

It's definitely not dead yet. I actually think it's got a better chance now than it did a few weeks ago. Harold is the only new family competition this month and IO2 is still doing enough business that I don't think many theaters will be compelled to completely drop it, plus it should have the traditional labor day reexpansion to give it an extra boost

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

This and the Black Panther movies' demographics makes me think some people are underestimating Captain America 4.

Blacks and Latinos might make for the loss in white audiences.

I mean how does a movie make 210m OW with only 25% white audience? That's crazy.

The Asian/other number looks whack...Asians are never that high, so I'm curious how high "other" is and if folks have just decided to start saying N/A when it comes to a race question...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

This and the Black Panther movies' demographics makes me think some people are underestimating Captain America 4.

Blacks and Latinos might make for the loss in white audiences.

I mean how does a movie make 210m OW with only 25% white audience? That's crazy.

I mean, that assumes latinos will be more interested on a black male lead than white audience. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I don't think latino audience are especially big on black lead films.

Also, I'm still curious about Latino audience being so big on Deadpool and Wolverine.