Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

3 hours ago, Youngstar said:

If we are ranking Post Endgame stuff (actually post FFH):

A: Black Panther 2, WandaVison, Spider-Man:NWH, Eternals, GotG3, The Marvels, Moonknight, Loki S1+2

B: What If S2, Black Widow, Echo, Werewolf by Night, She-Hulk, Hawkeye, Ms Marvel, Shang-Chi, Falcon and the Wintersoldier, GotG Holiday Special

C : Thor 4, Ant-Man 3, Dr Strange 2 What if S1

F : Secret Invasion

So yes I'm generally a pretty big fan of most of the MCU post Endgame

I watched this movie tonight and I fucking loved it!! So let’s do some post-endgame rankings (I don’t do letter grades):

I loved:

Deadpool & Wolverine 

Loki

What If

GOG 3

I really liked:

Wandavision 

NWH

Shang-Chi

She-Hulk

I liked:

Eternals

Black Panther 2

Thor 4

Hawkeye

Black Widow 

Echo

Moonknight

Ms. Marvel

The Marvels

Moon Knight

Dr. Strange 2

Decent:

Falcon and the Winter Soldier 

Ant-Man 3

Disliked:

Secret Invasion 

• Heart 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

I watched this movie tonight and I fucking loved it!! So let’s do some post-endgame rankings (I don’t do letter grades):

I loved:

Deadpool & Wolverine 

Loki

What If

GOG 3

I really liked:

Wandavision 

NWH

Shang-Chi

She-Hulk

I liked:

Eternals

Black Panther 2

Thor 4

Hawkeye

Black Widow 

Echo

Moonknight

Ms. Marvel

The Marvels

Moon Knight

Dr. Strange 2

Decent:

Falcon and the Winter Soldier 

Ant-Man 3

Disliked:

Secret Invasion 

Good ranking, nice

• Thanks 1

the RDJ news is just sad tbh. 

Doom is such an iconic character, it’s insane that they decided to cast the face of MCU as him, it doesn’t even feel respectful to the character tone. Not only feels cheap, it can causes so much confusion and rejection. 

I know Marvel is a bit lost post EG, unsure to how keep sustaining the momentum. We all know with the returns of Tobey, Hugh etc that they’re cranking up the nostalgia trick. But bringing RDJ back to this franchise just 6 years after his “definitive ending”? That’s a desperate choice.

The decision feels very divisive online too from what i saw. At least they’re gonna get the 300M OW they want.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 10

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Doom is such an iconic character, it’s insane that they decided to cast the face of MCU as him, it doesn’t even feel respectful to the character tone. Not only feels cheap, it can causes so much confusion and rejection. 

I know Marvel is a bit lost post EG, unsure to how keep sustaining the momentum. We all know with the returns of Tobey, Hugh etc that they’re cranking up the nostalgia trick. But bringing RDJ back to this franchise just 6 years after his “definite ending”? That’s a desperate choice.

The decision feels very divisive online tbh. At least they’re gonna get the 300M OW they want.

At least with Tobey/Andrew in NWH, their characters never got proper endings. Hugh/RDJ did, so it's a bit sad that's kinda meaningless now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I know Marvel is a bit lost post EG, unsure to how keep sustaining the momentum. We all know with the returns of Tobey, Hugh etc that they’re cranking up the nostalgia trick. But bringing RDJ back to this franchise just 6 years after his “definitive ending”? That’s a desperate choice.

The decision feels very divisive online too from what i saw. At least they’re gonna get the 300M OW they want.

300 OW isn't happening 

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The funny thing is it reveals how low of an opinion Feige and co. really have of Tony Stark as a character if they think the only reason the Iron Man films were a hit was because of RDJ and that audiences will turn up no matter who Downey Jr. comes back as (they aren't entirely wrong but jeez)

• Like 2

Came across to Thelma over the weekend. This little independent film only got one showtime per day during its OW. Glad that the movie is showing during the prime time. I love the movie very very much, It is a feel good comedy about ageism. The mixed of comedy and melancholic tone is perfect and June Squibb is fabulous and so likeable in the movie. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

The funny thing is it reveals how low of an opinion Feige and co. really have of Tony Stark as a character if they think the only reason the Iron Man films were a hit was because of RDJ and that audiences will turn up no matter who Downey Jr. comes back as (they aren't entirely wrong but jeez)

Actually they are kinda wrong.

I would still say RDJ as Iron Man would pull more crowds than RDJ as Doom.

RDJ as Iron Man means he's one of the lead heroes, RDJ as Doom means the heroes are still most of your Phase 4, 5 characters who haven't gone down as well with audience.

My lord that RDJ news combined with these Deadpool numbers vs. reception are bleak for those of us who are....let's say, skeptical about this hegemony that the MCU has had over films. A hegemony that appeared to finally be fading a bit, too. At least it will help keep our theaters alive and thriving, though, so trying not to be too dickish about it. The numbers of Twisters, Longlegs, DM4, and IO2 this weekend are really excellent and make me happy.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My lord that RDJ news combined with these Deadpool numbers vs. reception are bleak for those of us who are....let's say, skeptical about this hegemony that the MCU has had over films. A hegemony that appeared to finally be fading a bit, too. At least it will help keep our theaters alive and thriving, though, so trying not to be too dickish about it. The numbers of Twisters, Longlegs, DM4, and IO2 this weekend are really excellent and make me happy.

i wish trickle down economics was real frfr

• Like 1

Empire just tweeted that Saturday's number should be 63 million.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

38 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Came across to Thelma over the weekend. This little independent film only got one showtime per day during its OW. Glad that the movie is showing during the prime time. I love the movie very very much, It is a feel good comedy about ageism. The mixed of comedy and melancholic tone is perfect and June Squibb is fabulous and so likeable in the movie. 

It is a very charming film.

So probably like 97-63-57 for 217

If The Last Jedi opened $4M lower we'd have an R-Rated movie as a top 5 OW. . .

Edit: Just checked and TLJ basically opened at exactly 220 (so not like 220.9 or something). If we can get a slight overperformance and a better than expected Sunday drop maybe we it can barely crack into the top 5.

Edited by HummingLemon496

RDJ was ironman MCU best character now gets to play marvels most iconic villain .. . I understand the choice but I'm bummed bse I feel we should have got another actor sinking their teeth into this role. 

Cast a high profile actor  for Doom ,make avengers  5 a low stake story to unite our new avengers  team  and make doomsday and secrets war your 2 parter to give things more room to breath.

Everything about this is so rushed and wricks of desperacy to plug holes.

And once again having RDJ now become villain is less bold, feels very safe and the most predictable thing  MCU in their state could have done.

Just because it's not the ironman variant we expected don't change that.

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

RDJ was ironman MCU best character now gets to play marvels most iconic villain .. . I understand the choice but I'm bummed bse I feel we should have got another actor sinking their teeth into this role. 

Cast a high profile actor  for Doom ,make avengers  5 a low stake story to unite our new avengers  team  and make doomsday and secrets war your 2 parter to give things more room to breath.

Everything about this is so rushed and wricks of desperacy to plug holes.

And once again having RDJ now become villain is less bold, feels very safe and the most predictable thing  MCU in their state could have done.

Just because it's not the ironman variant we expected don't change that.

Majors fucked it up and instead of delaying the whole thing and rethink it, they just decided quickly to use the most cheap trick they could come up

• Like 2

Honestly, the success of Deadpool & Wolverine and high rating on Letterboxd versus the response I've seen to the movie here and other pop culture websites shows just how disparate online and offline realities are.

I mean, as if current politics, review bombing campaigns, etc. haven't proven all this already over the past few years... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1