Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

I think Romulus has a lot of upside potential. It looks damn good. Very practical, dark, claustrophobic, intense. Cinematography is beautiful and Fede’s shot composition is masterful. It’s not bothering with lore and robots and philosophy. Back to basics with one of the modern horror maestro’s at the helm.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Maybe I'm wrong and Alien is still something that cannot be turned into a sustainable franchise, but I'm pretty confident that Romulus will change that in some way.

It could've been turned into a sustainable franchise if braindead Fox executives actually made a movie people would want to see and be excited about, but those opportunities are gone now. I like Alien 3, but that's where it all went downhill and never trully recovered.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Cinema doesn't always have to be a dramatic think piece.

Space Balls is cinema.

So is John Wick.

If cinema is collectivist storytelling that evokes emotion well a movie like Endgame has that in spades.

I felt no emotion while watching any of the Avengers movie 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It could've been turned into a sustainable franchise if braindead Fox executives actually made a movie people would want to see and be excited about, but those opportunities are gone now. I like Alien 3, but that's where it all went downhill and never trully recovered.

Yeah, Fox was always involved in the process of a lot of the Alien movies. Even Prometheus (which I liked) ended on a note that you can tell was probably a studio mandate. They really did not know how to manage that franchise at all (which is weird when you consider what they were able to do with Planet of the Apes). 

Still, this one genuinely does feel like it's Fede Alvarez's Alien movie that he wanted to make without any studio interference. We'll know in a few weeks, but I'm still gonna be optimistic on this one. 

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I dunno.

Dr Strange 2 opened higher WW.

Yes, but DS2 legs was freaking awful. People tried to justify the reason for it to miss 1bn is because of lack of China + Russia. But come on, why do you need China + Russia for 1bn when your OW was already 450m? 

DW won't have this issue. The WOM is positive enough to carry. I am thinking slightly higher than Joker.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I think Romulus has a lot of upside potential. It looks damn good. Very practical, dark, claustrophobic, intense. Cinematography is beautiful and Fede’s shot composition is masterful. It’s not bothering with lore and robots and philosophy. Back to basics with one of the modern horror maestro’s at the helm.

Too bad he forgot about good cast. We would've never gotten Aliens if Cameron thought "let's do a frame by frame rehash, but worse".

1 minute ago, wattage said:

If you're happy theatrical is doing well you have to love every movie, no mixed feelings allowed 

Can’t tell if this is a joke or not 

(please be a joke it’s a good one)

• Like 1

Marvel is definitely cinema. Anything that is released in theaters is cinema and art, and I'm mostly glad for everything up through Endgame. From a storytelling standpoint, I just personally think the concept of the multiverse is absolutely antithetical to what I believe defines the storytelling form in terms of stakes and emotional connection. It uproots the fundamental premises on which stories are told in a coherent, emotional way. Lest you think this is an anti-MCU thing, I also profoundly did not like Everything Everywhere All At Once for this exact reason, and it was an A24 Best Picture winner. Didn't like the second Spider-Verse that everyone jizzed their shorts over either. First Spider-Verse was great, it was a cool one off, wish I never had to see a multiverse again. That's just my opinion. I don't think that my opinion should reflect cinema or the industry at-large. But that's why I find it so discouraging. It looks like we are getting more multiverse stuff dominating screens, and I'm not gonna pretend I like it or find it good. Yeah I bitch about theatrical staying open. I sure do, most weekends. But yeah, I really question whether my love for theatrical trumps my doubts about this as an artistic concept. Just me personally, of course, but I'm not pretending or hiding that's a real question for me going forward.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TRISTAN said:

I felt no emotion while watching any of the Avengers movie 

Ok but you do realize that's not the consensus.

I've never heard louder cheers and laughter than during Hulk slamming Loki, "Avengers assemble", and Cap with Thor's hammer. And there have been plenty of tear jerking scenes like Tony's sacrifices, Spider-man's death, etc

Also thrills, hype and excitement count as emotions last time I checked.

• Like 4

I don’t think we really need to go over all of this again. The internet is going to internet. The retweets are going to retweet. 

Ultimately a success of this magnitude is always going to be franchise based. 

People doom post when these are not doing well and it’s the end of cinema. 

People doom post when they do great as it’s the end of cinema. 

Franchises in one form or another have absolutely dominated the box office since the 80’s. The generations that actually bother to go to the cinema these days are propping it up for the complainers that don’t even go and see the movies they complain youngsters don’t go and see. 

It’s now the most tired of merry go round conversations every time we have a massive hit, or a disaster weekend. 

1989. Batman. Indiana Jones. Back to the Future. Ghostbusters. Lethal Weapon. 

Those that were 30 years old then and complain at mid 60’s about franchise films they also flocked to see at the same age - absolute hypocrites. 

The franchises and blockbusters prop up the business. Not everybody is a cinephile. Cinema doesn’t just exist for those that worship the art form. People just want to have a good time and thank Christ they are so that the cinephiles can still have their movies made.

I was mixed on Deadpool but I am absolutely delighted for the entire industry that it’s ripped up like it has. Magnificent news for film, no matter what kind of fan of the medium you are.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

For me, if a movie is playing in a movie theater, its cinema.

Thank You, the correct thing.

You speak facts, no wonder you're a Jurassic fan.

I speak facts too, I'm a Jurassic fan too.

There's something in Jurassic Franchise which attracts well meaning & intelligent people.

• Like 1