kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Friday | 11.32M THE WILD ROBOT | 4.19M BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE | 3.90M DEVARA I

You know 10 years ago, this would have opened to like 55 or 60M just off these stellar reviews and make like 250M or something. Now, Charlie’s data is saying it will barely get to 30M like  Elemental. And like Elemental and Migration, Wild Robot will only get to 140M or whatever because it was lucky to have zero competition. Pixar’s Elio will probably have a similar 30/150 fate next summer.

I guess it could be a lot worse, but the future for non-NTC animation is looking pretty darn rough my dudes.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

Very solid opening as long as it stays in the 30s. 40s always seemed hopedicting but some people say this from a popular book so who knows. From personal experience, this is one of those IPs that I need to be constantly reminded that it is one and not original.

Joker will open higher than this, so a club is dead.

Also going back on some Animation movies, it was interesting to see that Wall-E didn't have any kind of special legs and the 1st How To Train Your Dragon had incredible legs. Maybe there's something I'm missing in context tho. And the former was a June release and the latter a March one.

51 minutes ago, The Wild Eric said:

You know 10 years ago, this would have opened to like 55 or 60M just off these stellar reviews and make like 250M or something. Now, Charlie’s data is saying it will barely get to 30M like  Elemental. And like Elemental and Migration, Wild Robot will only get to 140M or whatever because it was lucky to have zero competition. Pixar’s Elio will probably have a similar 30/150 fate next summer.

I guess it could be a lot worse, but the future for non-NTC animation is looking pretty darn rough my dudes.

50M+ in September? Why?

Biggest opening for an animated movie in September is Hotel Transilvania 2, with 48M. And it was an awaited sequel to an animated hit that already boosted interest using the most classic horror characters. We should compare Wild Robot to films like Cloudy with a chance of meatballs or the original Hotel Transilvania.

Do you know hom many original DW animated movies have opened north of 50M? Only Kug Fu Panda (60M in 2008), Monsters vs Aliens (59M in 2009), Home (52M in 2015) and The boss baby (50M in 2017). All of them opening in better month for animation. 

Regarding reviews, they are not very useful in terms of OW. Look at How to train your dragon or Puss in boots 2.

Anything beyond 35M is a fantastic OW for TWR would basically guarantee a 150M+ DOM

• Like 12

Yeah, when the only non-sequel animated film to open above $30M post-COVID has been the Mario Movie, I think any weekend above $30M for this would be pretty fantastic. More than almost any genre (sorry I know it's not a genre), animated films have suffered quite a bit because streamers quickly figured out that animated films were their best performing films, since kids are more prone to rewatching them and upping those "Minutes Watched" numbers, which led to almost every non-event animated film getting sold to a streamer for a high price, and starting a whole generation of moviegoers on wonky moviegoing habits. Hopefully Wild Robot keeps up the work started by Elemental and Migration and shows that you don't need to already be familiar with animated characters to go see them in theaters.

• Like 1

I mean I think it’s still a great opening considering the circumstances and will be hella profitable for both Uni and Dreamworms. I just kind of wish we were back at a time when an animated non-sequel could comfortably hit around 50M like it was nothing. It’s great something like Elemental can find its audience and earn great legs. Great for theaters too, since the more a movie plays in a theater, the more revenue the theaters get. Still, I don’t know if animated non-sequels having to survive as long as there are no other animated movies on the market is super healthy long-term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justnumbers said:

Very solid opening as long as it stays in the 30s. 40s always seemed hopedicting but some people say this from a popular book so who knows. From personal experience, this is one of those IPs that I need to be constantly reminded that it is one and not original.

Joker will open higher than this, so a club is dead.

Also going back on some Animation movies, it was interesting to see that Wall-E didn't have any kind of special legs and the 1st How To Train Your Dragon had incredible legs. Maybe there's something I'm missing in context tho. And the former was a June release and the latter a March one.

WALL-E had some competition with KUNG FU PANDA and JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH.

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

My question with Elio is that it opens the same day as Live-Action How to Train Your Dragon. $30m OW seems like an easy target though.

One should start blinking. Having these two open on the same weekend is NEVER a good idea. If Disney really wants to capitalize on that Father's Day weekend, moving up a week and opening against BALLERINA will still work, imo.

I think DreamWorks lack of name brand among the general audience plays a role. If this was Pixar’s The Wild Robot or Illumination’s The Wild Robot the numbers would probably be bigger.

Of course Pixar doesn’t do adaptations (yet?) and if this was an Illumination film it would have a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes at best instead of a 98%.

15 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I think DreamWorks lack of name brand among the general audience plays a role. If this was Pixar’s The Wild Robot or Illumination’s The Wild Robot the numbers would probably be bigger.

Of course Pixar doesn’t do adaptations (yet?) and if this was an Illumination film it would have a 71% on Rotten Tomatoes at best instead of a 98%.

DreamWorks was as powerful a player as Disney/Pixar were as recently as the early 2010s. They've just lost much of their overall brand power (despite the occasional hit every now and then) since due to too many nonstarters.

2 hours ago, The Wild Eric said:

It's far too early in the day for such relentless gloom darling

• Like 1