kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Thursday Previews | 1.95M THE WILD ROBOT | 0.77M MEGALOPOLIS

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Coppola directed 4 of the top 50 English language movies ever committed to film, don't fall for the bait. The Conversation in particular, astonishing work.

My hot take for the day is that Goodfellas isn't even a top 5 Scorsese movie. It's a terrific film and alot of fun, but I guess my problem is I watched the Sopranos in full before I ever saw Goodfellas and it feels like a deeper, truer exploration of alot of the same stuff. It's also proof Marty is just the GOAT to have such a fantastic film not arguably not in his top five.

My hot take Goodfellas is better than Taxi Driver or Raging Bull. I admire those movies more than really like them. They are such hard sits while Goodfellas is such a blast.  I am not sure it's a better movie but I would put The Departed above those two in rewatchability also.

• Like 2

Deadline estimating weekend will be at $95m which seems high to me but should at least be even with last year. It is gonna take us off the catchup pace though. If Joker is in fact destined to disappoint, gonna need some of those great TWR holds to help get us back on it.

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Yeah but who can take those seriously? I mean Shawshank is the best movie of all time according to imdb, and it's a solid B. That whole list is basically, white college guys and white dads voting. 

Shawshank is not solid B, it's solid A, it's as perfect as any movie can get. "The best movie of all time" is completely subjective.

• Like 1

Raging Bull is great, but it’s also one that has a lot of Scorsese tropes that are done better in his other movies before and after that it doesn’t quite click or resonate with me. But I also saw that movie after a lot of other Scorsese films. I guess a lot of his filmography is dependent on what you saw first.

For me, Taxi Driver is Scorsese's best film. 

It's not that surprising a pick, but everything about that film (De Niro's performance, Bernard Herman's relaxing/eerie musical score, the cinematography, etc.) just works to such an incredible degree that I can't help it. I'd honestly consider it one of the finest examples of 70s Hollywood-era filmmaking and all of the boundaries that were pushed during that time. 

I love plenty of Scorsese's other films (The Wolf of Wall Street and Silence are damn near perfect), but Taxi Driver will always be my favorite. 

I hope for the best for Dreamworks Animation in both ways. The Wild Robot being the last fully “in house”-animated film before their next few films will have their animations done by outsource from other animation studios.

Still….we’re still stuck with a current era where no DWA film has ever got over $200M+ DOM yet. Last time they had that was back In 12 years, mind you…and soon 14 years when Shrek 5 arrives in theaters. So my question is: Could Shrek 5 be the first $200M+ DOM grossing animated film in a very, very long while since Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted back in 2012? Or are their chances for a potential future $200M+ grosser truly gone for good? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

The Wild Robot is the greatest animated movie of the decade easily. Unbelievably emotional and heartwarming. 

I expect insane legs. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see it do over 5x.

Deadline top 10. Solid holds all around minus Transformers

1. The Wild Robot (DWA/Uni) 3,962 theaters, Fri $11.3M, 3-day $35M/Wk 1
  2. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (WB) 3,804 (-368) theaters, Fri $4.2M (-38%) 3-day $16.3M (-37%) Total $250.3M/Wk 4
  3. Transformers One (Par) 3,970 (-8) theaters, Fri $2.25M (-76%) 3-day $9M (-63%), Total $38.8M/Wk 2
  4. Devara Part 1 (Prath) 1,040 theaters, Fri $3.9M, 3-day $6.4M/Wk 1
  5. Speak No Evil (Uni) 2,661 (-714) theaters Fri $1.25M (-28%) 3-day $4.25M (-27%), Total $28M/Wk 3
  6. Megalopolis (LG) 1,854 theaters, Fri $1.8M, 3-day $4.1M/Wk 1
  7. Deadpool & Wolverine (Dis) 1,975 (-475) theaters Fri $740K (-25%) 3-day $2.8M (-27%) Total $631.4M/Wk 10
  8. Never Let Go (LG) 2,667 theaters, Fri $650K (-61%), 3-day $2.1M (-53%), Total $8.1M/Wk 2
  9. My Old Ass (AMZ/MGM) 1,390 (+1357) theaters Fri $1M (+767%), 3-day $2.1M (+688%), Total $2.8M/Wk 3
  10. The Substance (Mubi) 1,600 (-349) theaters, Fri $590K (-56%), 3-day $2M (-38%), Total $7M/Wk 2
  11. Howl’s Moving Castle 20th Anniversary (Fath) 1,402 theaters, Fri $667K, 3-day $1.98M, Total $2.5M/Wk 1

58 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Deadline estimating weekend will be at $95m which seems high to me but should at least be even with last year. It is gonna take us off the catchup pace though. If Joker is in fact destined to disappoint, gonna need some of those great TWR holds to help get us back on it.

Transformers underperforming definitely hurt 2024s chances. Let’s hope Joker, Smile 2 and Venom at least meet expectations. Especially Joker. November I’m not really worried about. That should be over 2023 regardless. But December should be interesting 

4 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Transformers underperforming definitely hurt 2024s chances. Let’s hope Joker, Smile 2 and Venom at least meet expectations. Especially Joker. November I’m not really worried about. That should be over 2023 regardless. But December should be interesting 

What's meeting expectations for Joker 2 at this point though? Much lower than it was even a month or two ago that's for sure.

Those taking a chance on Megalopolis were 70% men, with the biggest demo being 25-34 year olds at 32%, and 38% of the audience over 35. Diversity demos are 66% Caucasian, 18% Latino and Hispanic, 5% Black, and 7% Asian.

Now we know the exact demographics of Film Twitter.

• Haha 10

3 hours ago, Flopped said:

All that an his most rewatchable movie is Dracula. An overrated and dated filmography if you ask me. Who wants to watch Godfather when they can watch Goodfellas? 

Why not both

• Like 4

Meanwhile, Columbia Pictures’ awards season entry, Saturday Night from Academy Award nominee Jason Reitman began the first phase of its three-step platform release this weekend with an exclusive release in five theaters in Los Angeles and New York grossing $107K yesterday for a projected $255Kweekend and $51K theater average. That will easily be the second-best opening theater average YTD behind Searchlight’s Kinds of Kindness ($75,4K) and ahead of Marvel Studio/Disney’s Deadpool & Wolverine ($50K). Very good ticket sales I hear from the AMC Burbank, AMC Lincoln Square, Alamo Brooklyn, AMC Century City and AMC Grove.

I know it's impossible to predict, but do you guys think a $50K+ PTA for Saturday Night bodes well for when it opens wide in two weeks? 

At first, I was getting Dumb Money vibes from this movie. They were both released by Sony, first premiered at film festivals, and had the same exact release strategy. That one opened to $220,947 in 8 theaters for a $27,618 PTA, but only ended up grossing $13.9M domestically. 

I thought Saturday Night was doomed to do the same thing, but this strong PTA for its opening in only 5 theaters does make me slightly more optimistic that it can make a respectable amount.