ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

1 minute ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

As much as I think Mufasa will do really well, that’s the only movie that can have a raw 1B drop and still be considered an okay success. 650m WW would be a 1B drop from the previous film… that’s actually insane. The fact that the Lion King made 1.65B is mind boggling. And even 1b for Mufasa would be a 650 WW total 

Spider-Man 4 could do $950M WW and that would technically be a bigger raw drop than The Marvels

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May be $10M SAT 

Can't wait to watch this movie from my sofa on Tuesday when it will most surely drop online. They might actually see more business dropping the movie on MAX in two weeks just to benefit from the notoriety. 

2 minutes ago, BlitheringEdiot said:

After watching the movie I actually don't mind the ending

People at work just said it's boring. I've not heard anything bad about the ending.

26 minutes ago, AJG said:

People at work just said it's boring. I've not heard anything bad about the ending.

Yea I found it quite boring aswell, there were leaks about the ending a while ago and people didn't believe it, but the leaks were very accurate. Shame about the movie overall though.

Edited by BlitheringEdiot

2 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

From Deadline:

The Substance (Mubi) 700 (-1012) theaters, Fri $430K (-28%), 3-day $1.45M (-30%), Total $9.8M/Wk 3

If that theater count is accurate, that is an incredible hold, and would mean it's gonna have the best PTA of its run so far. Is $15M total on the table?!

Your amazing!! I am so happy this is holding well and hopefully can hold well through Halloween season

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, AN9815 said:

I must say this is the biggest surprise of the year for me by far. I never expected Joker 2 to be struggling to make $40m OW. This is a total disaster. About a month ago I said on the Joker 2 thread that this would easily make +$100m OW and possibly go up to $140m. I had seen the reviews (around 62% on Rottentomatoes at that time) and I thought the worse case scenario was a huge opening followed by terrible legs, like Batman v Superman or Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. I thought there was real interest in this movie, the first one is very well liked and had incredible legs, specially overseas. Prior to reviews, personally I thought it was going to slightly increase WW like Guardians Vol.1 to Guardians Vol.2 and even with the arguments of "the first one was a cultural phenomenon that cannot be replicated" I thought it would still decrease like Wakanda Forever from first Black Panther or The Last Jedi from The Force Awakens, whose first movies were also cultural phenomenons that couldn't be replicated. This is joining The Marvels and Alice Through the Looking Glass in movies whose predecessors made $1b WW and sequel couldn't even surpass $300m WW, with the difference that Captain Marvel and Alice in Wonderland were not nearly as well received as Joker and that The Marvels and Alice Through the Looking Glass were not as poorly received as Joker 2, for better or worse. 

People on here talked about Wakanda Forever’s drop from BP like it was so huge. Well, after Marvels and Joker 2, it looks pretty damn good to open that big without the lead from the first film.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I have been thinking and I realized how indifferent I am to what is happening with Joker right now. This is going to be one of the biggest bombs of all time and I am just like eh. I guess because I was not crazy about the first movie. Maybe I am just used to the post covid reality of when people really  want to see something-  NWH, Maverick, WOW, Mario, Barbie, IO 2, DP and W   and when they do not for whatever reason watch out.-The Marvels and Joker 2.   Also funny that people consider something like Dial of Destiny this massive bomb nobody wanted and the film festival debut killed all the hype  and yet it still made 170 DOM , something Joker 2 is not going to come even close to sniffing. Just my rambling thoughts.

Just saw Joker 2...yeah I can understand why this is getting toxic wom. Still would have expected it to open much bigger. My theater was packed and seeing people's reaction after the movie was priceless. Legs for this movie are going to be atrocious. 

8 hours ago, filmscholar said:

It's literally opening on the same day 5 years later after coming off an award winning blockbuster success.  Yes things have changed since the Pandemic.  We are in a different world now but I didn't expect this.

'Can we all agree that if Trump was still President, he wouldn't have let this happen? He, alone, can save this film.

• Knock It Off 1