ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

"Cult classic" is often misinterpreted. Things that become cult classics are usually memorable in a way mainstream movies of the time weren't (Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls) or so incompetently made they're hilarious to watch (Robot Monster, Red Zone Cuba, Eegah). Joker 2 is a mainstream movie that's godawful. And since it's not about something people at the time are overlooking, it can't be seen as "prescient" like Waterworld was. 

You are forgetting the most sucessful cult movie of all time; ROcky Horror PIcture Show.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think Scar is the biggest even though Ursula is my personal favorite.

Scar had one of all times favorite villian lines, One I use a lot :

'Life isn't fair, is it"/

• Like 1

FRIDAY PM: As of this minute, Todd Phillips’ audacious Joker: Folie à Deux is looking at an OK Friday of $20M, including last night’s $7M, and hoping to stay above $50M, but could sink to $45M at 4,102 theaters. Numbers wise, even though it was a PG-13 movie, this looks far too similar to The Marvels with posted $6.6M previews, a $21.6M first day and disastrous 3-day of $21.6M. That movie was actually more expensive than Joker 2 here, $270M to $190M. The fear is that the bad word of mouth on this movie will make it increasingly frontloaded with a freefall on Saturday.

RelishMix noticed good social media metrics with the pic’s follower reach at 567.3M across TikTok, YouTube, X, Instagram and Facebook, which is 7% above superhero genre norms before opening. Lady Gaga’s fans across all platforms clocked 231.3M fans with 43.7M views feeding into her Instagram. However, the bad buzz post Venice where the movie clocked 62% fresh with critics on RT seeped into presales, which were heard were not amazing ahead of opening.

Universal’s second weekend of DreamWorks Animation’s The Wild Robot at 3,997 venues is seeing a second Friday of $4.9M and a second weekend of $19.5M, -46%, for a ten-day of $64.7M.

Warner Bros. has better luck this weekend with Beetlejuice Beetlejuice at 3,576 sites which will continue to hold in weekend 5 at -30% for a 3-day of $11.4M after a near $3M Friday for a running total by Sunday of $266.5M, still the second highest grossing movie of September behind 2017’s It ($327.4M).

Fourth belongs to Paramount’s Transformers One at 3,106 locations with a third Friday of $1.35M, third weekend of $5.5M, -40% and a running total of $47.4M.

Fifth is Universal/Blumhouse’s fourth weekend of Speak No Evil at 2,274 sites, with $900K today, a 3-day of $3M, -30% for a running total of $32.7M.

Outside the top 5 is Lionsgate’s misfire White Bird with $650K today, and $1.5M-$2M opening for the weekend.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 2

42 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Feel like it's sacrilegious to have a Movie Villain Mt. Rushmore and not have a Disney Villain in there. Just choose the one you like the most I guess.

Hell, I think you need a James BOnd VIllian to make a Villian list complete. I would go for Goldfinger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Assuming walkups are bad, think true FRI might end up with $13-14M. Normally that would mean $46-47M weekend but SAT sales are poor so we may see a drop from true FRI tomorrow.

Something like

7.5 // 40

is possible.

13 true Friday according to Deadline

How about

38.5M OW

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mandatory said:

FRIDAY PM: As of this minute, Todd Phillips’ audacious Joker: Folie à Deux is looking at an OK Friday of $20M, including last night’s $7M, and hoping to stay above $50M, but could sink to $45M at 4,102 theaters. Numbers wise, even though it was a PG-13 movie, this looks far too similar to The Marvels with posted $6.6M previews, a $21.6M first day and disastrous 3-day of $21.6M. That movie was actually more expensive than Joker 2 here, $270M to $190M. The fear is that the bad word of mouth on this movie will make it increasingly frontloaded with a freefall on Saturday.

OK??? $13M FRI is OK???

27 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Makes it hard to decipher because of the holiday, but I would think that would still mean a mid-20s second weekend, right? Like following Paw Patrol 2's second weekend would give it around 28M, so knock it down a few pegs to like...24M?

Hard to extrapolate from th without checking past Rosh hashanahs but from wed was thinking 25-26ish and I think th has to increase that at least a bit

6 minutes ago, Relevation said:

OK??? $13M FRI is OK???

The industry was seriously banking on this film being big. They are SO lucky Disney chose to turn the Moana series into a theatrical sequel and will save Fall.

Edited by Speedorito

Just now, Cooper Legion said:

If deadline is accurate on the robot Fri it’s a real bummer though I’d say it should still lead to more like 21. Quite possible for Fri actuals to beat and hit mid 20s 

I think $4.9M is definitely a low ball, DL usually is bad at guessing super strong second weekends
$25M+ is still where I'd have it

• Like 3

Going with a jukebox musical is a weird creative decision for a movie set in a fictional world. It seems to shatter the fourth wall.

Original songs would have made more sense and be more interesting.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Hard to extrapolate from th without checking past Rosh hashanahs but from wed was thinking 25-26ish and I think th has to increase that at least a bit

So excluding Wild Robot's second weekend won't be that far away from Joker's pure FSS. Maybe like 27 vs 31.5