Neo

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle | Nov 29 2018 (LA, NY), Dec 7 (Netflix) | Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch & Naomie Harris confirmed

1 hour ago, cookie said:

Wonder how WB must have felt when it made $377m WW and won eight Oscars.

WB was in a weird place at the time it seems (probably like much of Hollywood was due to the effects of the strike). For example, they almost dumped The Hangover as a limited release until insane test screening reactions gave them a change of heart and gave it a big summer release.

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WB was in a weird place at the time it seems (probably like much of Hollywood was due to the effects of the strike). For example, they almost dumped The Hangover as a limited release until insane test screening reactions gave them a change of heart and gave it a big summer release.

WB had just closed their specialty arm - Warner Independent Studios hence  Slumdog being ripe for DVD until Fox Searchlight picked it up.

Then WB Chairman Alan Horn hated The Hangover - he thought it was crude trash.  His stance on the movie was one of the main factors for WB pushing him out  in 2011- that he was out of touch and over the hill.  Horn then went to Disney in 2012.   Also, the Jungle Book was something Horn had wanted to make for many years, I think dating back to when he was at WB which might be where the idea to do Mowgli got it's start, and he pushed for Disney to make it.   Hangover in retrospect might be the most expensive hit WB ever had.   

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

But, after all of this, I have only question: How long Netflix can play in the big game? 

I mean, their income is very low regarding to, for example, Viacom (not even talking about Disney, Warner or Comcast).  

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/24/investing/netflix-disney-comcast-market-value/index.html

For a moment...

But Netflix is in no kind of trouble, that's for sure.

If you read carefully Serkis's words in the press release, it's he who's pushing for some kind of "theatrical component"...whatever that is... and I don't see this as any guarantee, unfortunately.  It's more likely that this thing ends up a Netflix streaming debut later next year. 

Some rumors said that Serkis had a cut, was "fired," another director brought in, then once Warners saw that cut and was equally disappointed, brought Serkis back in for a new cut...

And another high-profile move like this (surely due to Warner Bros.' feeling that the movie can't compete in the marketplace) only lends further credence/possibility/believability to those "unbelievable" rumors around FOX's current/possibly final two X-Men projects...

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

If you read carefully Serkis's words in the press release, it's he who's pushing for some kind of "theatrical component"...whatever that is... and I don't see this as any guarantee, unfortunately.  It's more likely that this thing ends up a Netflix streaming debut later next year. 

Combined with talks of being seen in 3D, really does not make it sound like plan for a real wide release either.

12 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

But, after all of this, I have only question: How long Netflix can play in the big game? 

At that monthly fee price, can they keep the same volume without feeling it by already moneytised product bought at a price if all the studio quit ?

That a big question, sound not really possible for 2m at the minute type of content like blockbuster movies, but who knows.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Combined with talks of being seen in 3D, really does not make it sound like plan for a real wide release either.

I think it's wishful thinking on Serkis's part. 

(Is there a way that Netflix could stream a 3-D version?  That's really the only thing I see happening, here.)

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I think it's wishful thinking on Serkis's part. 

(Is there a way that Netflix could stream a 3-D version?  That's really the only thing I see happening, here.)

I thought they already did (do not have any 3d screen)....

Ah, they did in the past:

Is 3D streaming available from Netflix?

We no longer offer 3D streaming.

In 2012, when we launched 3D streaming, we were excited and moved by the efforts of our industry partners who made great 3D technology and began to make movies and shows in 3D. Despite that early enthusiasm, 3D viewing at home failed to captivate consumers.

In recent years, many major TV manufacturers have announced that they will phase out 3D TV production. Many studios have also announced their move away from 3D production. Due to these factors, we no longer offer 3D streaming.

So I imagine they could yes, but there is about no one watching 3d movies at home.

Maybe some special IMAX 3D release day and date with streaming.

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

For a moment looks at their profit. I have nothing again Netflix (even the opposite) but when you spend (with big amount of content) so much and get only 500-700 mln pure income...  It doesn't work during the long distance. 

Edited by KeepItU25071906

Is now titled Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle. Limited release Nov 29 and streaming Dec 7

New trailer looks fine, the effects look good though

Serkis must be a bit disappointed most people will watch this on a computer as opposed to the big screen

• Like 1

As far as the effects go, I can be forgiving if a movie isn't a theatrical release. But considering this was supposed to be released theatrically, I can only compare it to Favreau's Jungle Book. And this pales in comparison. 

This honestly looks more interesting to me than the Jon Favreau version. Still, is Kaa supposed to be a villain here like in the Disney films? I’m not especially familiar with the original source material, but wasn’t Kaa something of a benevolent and wise mentor in the original story?