Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

I went to a non-3D 10:40AM showing 20 min early and had to sit in the front second row neckbreaker(or fauxmax) seats. Not only that, but the entire movie theater parking lot was packed...at 10:20am. I had to park across the street.

Also, I bought the tickets on Thursday, when I showed up this morning they told me theater #2. But when I went in, the movie was already 30 min in. So I walked back out and they had to call a manager to tell me that they added shows so my showing ended up moving to another theater. This movie is gonna make so much money this weekend...

argh! The dreaded front row neck breaker seats!I think I would have waited.

Good news is, the film was so damn good, I forgot all about my discomfort and when the movie ended I finally noticed I had whiplash and a splitting headache. :lol:

lol I'm off for a few hours and there are 50+ new pages

How's Saturday looking?

It's like time-travel.

For my first day here, i'm feeling a vertigo.

I should have come here when a non-event film opened!

Theres some gold in this thread. Keep reading. ;)

:lol: I can relax now, until Sat # kicks in.These two days I opened the Avenger thread on my browser, and refreshed it every hour. That's not a good way for *this* daily bo thread. It's exploding exponentially

"How's Saturday looking?"lol did you not see the 101 sellouts at 22 theaters as of 6:30 pmlol

At your theater what movie is benefitting most from the spill overs? Edited by ECSTASY

Didn't you say 80mish yesterday about this time?Trust. In. Red. ;)

:DI actually said $60m for day business was the target when the $20m number came out for midnight. Couldn't believe it when Nikki's sources were saying $65m including midnight. Just seemed like utter bullshit lowballing, and it was. :lol: Edited by redfirebird2008

Good news is, the film was so damn good, I forgot all about my discomfort and when the movie ended I finally noticed I had whiplash and a splitting headache. :lol:

LOL Good Lord. I saw it in 3D and had to wear the glasses over my regular glasses. I know I looked like a fool but I didn't care.

:DI actually said $60m for day business was the target when the $20m number came out for midnight. Couldn't believe it when Nikki's sources were saying $65m including midnight. Just seemed like utter bullshit lowballing, and it was. :lol:

Yeah you were pretty adamant about that.

• Founder / Operator

I'm not normally one to do this, but...from Monday:

3D prices are certainly going to contribute, and while I’m not going to officially predict it (yet?), this is the first time in history we can seriously talk about a $200 million opening weekend. One need only look at the openings of The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3 to figure out how: each one adjusts to approximately $172-173 million when accounting for ticket price inflation since their respective releases. If you add an additional 15% from 3D prices that Avengers should boast (and the other two did not), we then see the magical $200 million threshold is within reach. Its not a matter anymore of whether or not that figure is possible, its just a matter of demand.

Interestingly enough, it was exactly ten years ago this weekend that Spider-Man reached — and slaughtered — the $100 million opening weekend threshold for the first time in history. Even more interesting is the fact it broke the first Harry Potter‘s opening record in the process. History looks to, and often does, repeat itself.

http://boxofficetheo...summer-preview/

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1