Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

What's amazing is this thread started almost 2 years ago and had 137 pages when Frozen opened, but has jumped 63 more pages (and counting) in the last 2 months since Frozen opened and it's been almost all Frozen related.

I still wonder why I don't see any Japanese here :3

If Frozen does get Spirited Away numbers in yen (it could happen) its going to pass Harry Potter 7.2 WW  :o

Now THAT is going to cause a MAJOR meltdown in every single BO Forum in the Internet

I'm surprised there isn't more noise coming from the Marvel forums. For a long time it looked like IM3 would handily win both domestic and WW crowns for 2013, but CF amazingly increased from THG and took domestic down, and now Frozen is a real threat to knock IM3 down to #2 WW, as well as knocking it out of the top 5 all time list.

Corpse

Biggest Sixth Weekends/Six Week Totals (2001-)
Sixth Weekend (% change) / Six Week Total -> Final Total - Film
¥983.9 billion (-08%) / ¥14.82 billion -> ¥20.30 billion - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
¥900.0 million (+02%) / ¥14.90 billion -> ¥30.40 billion - Spirited Away (2001)
¥862.0 million (+03%) / ¥10.55 billion -> ¥??.?? billion - Frozen (2014) *Estimate*
¥822.1 million (-08%) / ¥10.92 billion -> ¥22.00 billion - Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
¥642.6 million (-15%) / ¥11.41 billion -> ¥17.30 billion - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
¥617.3 million (+19%) / ¥8.29 billion -> ¥15.60 billion - Avatar (2009)
¥604.4 million (-32%) / ¥11.49 billion -> ¥17.35 billion - Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge (2003)
¥603.4 million (-23%) / ¥8.09 billion -> ¥13.70 billion - The Last Samurai (2003)
¥579.4 million (+11%) / ¥8.14 billion -> ¥11.00 billion - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
¥577.1 million (-32%) / ¥11.47 billion -> ¥15.50 billion - Ponyo (2008)
¥540.2 million (+28%) / ¥8.29 billion -> ¥10.80 billion - Toy Story 3 (2010)
¥536.9 million (-36%) / ¥9.17 billion -> ¥11.00 billion - Finding Nemo (2003)
¥457.8 million (+06%) / ¥9.47 billion -> ¥13.50 billion - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
¥454.1 million (-09%) / ¥6.88 billion -> ¥9.37 billion - Monsters, Inc. (2002)
¥395.9 million (-25%) / ¥9.08 billion -> ¥10.90 billion - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
¥379.3 million (-14%) / ¥7.61 billion -> ¥10.32 billion - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2004)
¥374.7 million (-06%) / ¥5.96 billion -> ¥8.75-8.80 billion - The Eternal Zero (2013)
¥375.7 million (-14%) / ¥10.10 billion -> ¥11.80 billion - Alice in Wonderland (2010)
¥362.0 million (-20%) / ¥5.53 billion -> ¥8.50 billion - Crying Out Love in the Center of the World (2004)
¥350 million+

• Like 3

I'm surprised there isn't more noise coming from the Marvel forums. For a long time it looked like IM3 would handily win both domestic and WW crowns for 2013, but CF amazingly increased from THG and took domestic down, and now Frozen is a real threat to knock IM3 down to #2 WW, as well as knocking it out of the top 5 all time list.

Well, Frozen is trailing by $85M and it's already the sixth weekend in Japan. So, it's very reasonable for them to not be scared.

But, soon they'll be very very scared. B)

Well, Frozen is trailing by $85M and it's already the sixth weekend in Japan. So, it's very reasonable for them to not be scared.But, soon they'll be very very scared. B)

Not really.I love comicbook movies,but in my opinion Frozen is much better than Iron Man 3,so that would be deserved.

Not really.I love comicbook movies,but in my opinion Frozen is much better than Iron Man 3,so that would be deserved.

I wasn't talking about the quality. I was talking about the possible reason on why Marvel fans are not worried about the prospect of Frozen beating IM3. :P

Frozen is far far better than IM3, much more entertaining.

Can somebody tell me why BOM said that Frozen made 7.5? so, that was what it really made and not 8.4 millions.  -_-

ray subers has his head up his up hind quarters. I miss brandon gray. He was good. Top of the derby a lot as he should be.toho numbers dont lie. 8.3m. Corpse said 8.4 off his data. We're good.
  • Like 1

Im hoing w a 16 weekend multiplier after GW(7.5m WE)(170m). This reliant on it netting100 more screens w 3d. I cant see them pulling more that 50 regular for competition after this hold.. then an extended run300m. Spirited gets put Away285-315 range. HP7.2 WW#4 possiblenever fails.im always 30-40% higher than you. Amazing.

Lol, you've also always been lower than the actual numbers, though with a 300M projection it can't happen again...can it?

Seriously, though, I'm hoping for a very strong post GW multiplier, too, but I noticed that all movies have, sooner or later, at least a false step. It can just be an overall bad weekend, or unexpected damage from competitors, or other, but at the end something make the film fail to reach its potential high end. In fact, I'm not confident at all about my 160M projection by the end of GW, but I'm very sure the multiplier from its post-holiday weekend will be closer to 10x rather than to 15x.

Though 225M would really piss me off. 5M under Spirited Away, gee...that would be worse than 201M for me.

HMC and Ponyo both managed 10x after their respective holiday and summer were over, but the both had steady declines through their first eight weeks and into their big holiday week. Frozen is on the rise for weekend 5-6 and should continue for 7-8 into holiday. We have a different kind of animal here. No decline before holiday, softer decline after. Thats why im going with 16x. 18 gets you harry.Harry is the last reachable goal I think. Unless it has a 7.5m post GW weekend and refuses to drop more than 5% for a couple weeks. Then its a game changer. A must see for even those that never go to theater anymore.I wont mention it though, but I wont say it couldn't happen or call anyone crazy. :pHey boxx!!! I dare you to say domestic. I double dare you!

Edited by mfantin65
  • Like 1

I love how the progression of expectations increases as it goes deeper into its run, just like what happened domestically.

After opening weekend MU was the target, and it needed a solid 12x multiplier to reach that, about 3 weeks in talk shifted to Toy Story 3 as the goal. Somewhere between week 4 and week 5 passing Ponyo became a target, and here we are after the 6th weekend talking Spirited Away as a legitimate goal.

If Frozen somehow does pass SA (in dollars) I think Japan will be the first market that Frozen becomes the all time boxoffice leader in. Frozen is the #1 animated movie in quite a few markets, but not #1 overall. Of course, in Japan a lot of the movies on the all time list happen to be animated movies.

• Like 3

As they say on wall st. Sunday is monday in japan. Last monday was a discount day. Before that was a SB day. We need to compare mon toho to tue and thu of last week. The midweek has fallen in consecutive weeks as the weekends have risen. I want to see this week hold. Looking for 10000+ for toho.Omni, I mite have been low but I was closer on the last bet. Kim jung I'll is sending you to the firing squad. I hope you have 9 lives. If so, beware of catlover, he'll be looking to pet you.The number of pages on the thread are expanding with each weekend, I noticed.9 this weekend. 13 next weekend is my prediction. So quickly many are on board with me for 200m+. 150 was the consensus not many days ago.We're going to have to start a suicide hotline thread if it collapses next week :pWe could all sit around omni's bed begging him to eat like in the movie Gandhi :) "you must eat baba, the Indian BO forum needs you"That's a rewatch every 5 years, btw.

Edited by mfantin65

I love how the progression of expectations increases as it goes deeper into its run, just like what happened domestically.

After opening weekend MU was the target, and it needed a solid 12x multiplier to reach that, about 3 weeks in talk shifted to Toy Story 3 as the goal. Somewhere between week 4 and week 5 passing Ponyo became a target, and here we are after the 6th weekend talking Spirited Away as a legitimate goal.

If Frozen somehow does pass SA (in dollars) I think Japan will be the first market that Frozen becomes the all time boxoffice leader in. Frozen is the #1 animated movie in quite a few markets, but not #1 overall. Of course, in Japan a lot of the movies on the all time list happen to be animated movies.

I do not want to be who ruins the party. I love what Frozen is doing. But IMO, to beat whatever movie in dollars in any country outside US means nothing. The only ranking which really cares is the local currency ranking, specially, with a 13 years gap between two movies involved, period where exchange rate has changed a lot. Frozen has to make 30.4 billion Yen or 273.6 million $ (1 Yen = 0.09 $).

HMC and Ponyo both managed 10x after their respective holiday and summer were over, but the both had steady declines through their first eight weeks and into their big holiday week. Frozen is on the rise for weekend 5-6 and should continue for 7-8 into holiday. We have a different kind of animal here. No decline before holiday, softer decline after. Thats why im going with 16x. 18 gets you harry.

My point, though, is that even a phenomen can't keep the momentum forever. Yes, Frozen had 5 consecutive steady weekends around 8M, and that's unbelievable. But this kind of awesomeness always starts to vanish at a certain point of even the most incredible movie's run. Avatar is an example: in North America, it almost reached 600M before the end of January, with 12% being its average drop. Coming from a 31M weekend, one could have thought that 800M was locked and 1 billion somehow in play, I mean, why suddenly starting to behave like a simple solid holdover after being a monster for 7 weeks? Well, its legs slowed down in February and then they became completely ordinary (in the best way xD) in March. It doesn't matter how you performed in your first bunch of weeks: if you're a phenomenon, sometimes (likely in the second half of May, in Frozen's case) the time comes for you to stop being 'the movie to see'. Considering Frozen's performance so far, the 10x of those two Miyazaki monsters could even become a 12/13x, but that's it. A post-GW multiplier above 15x would, for my eyes, be even more shocking than its performance so far.It would mean an overall multiplier above 30x and momentum kept for months. There are rules that even Frozen will have to follow.

I do not want to be who ruins the party. I love what Frozen is doing. But IMO, to beat whatever movie in dollars in any country outside US means nothing. The only ranking which really cares is the local currency ranking, specially, with a 13 years gap between two movies involved, period where exchange rate has changed a lot. Frozen has to make 30.4 billion Yen or 273.6 million $ (1 Yen = 0.09 $).

Yen is one of the goals. However, an expression, history is written by the winners. What is in writing is believed until Howard Zinn writes something else. People mostly look up BOM and will see US dollars and that's what they'll believe. Disney will also boast beating SA ar 231mWith 3d pricing you cant compare yen either. Admissions is the truest barometer.BTW its 102 yen to the dollar. 294.5m
  • Like 1