Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

In theory it has the capacity to take OW record. Question is would this movie have such a big push during OW or will the audience wait. Its an insanely backloaded market. Plus women have special discounts for wednesday, 1st day of a month and so many other days. So one can never say. 

Corpse quote does not confirm anything as its early days and it could have insane walkins to break OW record. 

November 23rd is the next, and last, national holiday on the calendar until January 1st now due to Emperor Akihito abdicating the throne this year (his birthday, December 23rd, was a holiday for the last 30 years).  February 23rd, Emperor Naruhito's birthday, is the new Emperor's Day holiday date.

Also, since November 23rd falls on a Saturday this year, it's not going to provide any real boost at the box-office.  Saturday is the worst day for any holiday to fall on in the market.  Any holiday on a weekday provides a significant boost, and if one lands on a Sunday, then that Monday becomes a holiday as well.  But a Saturday?  Nothing.  

So, Frozen 2 won't be able to take advantage of this either, and will have to wait until January 1st before receiving a holiday bump.  I'm sure the film will do amazing, but releasing day-and-date in Japan wasn't a good choice.  I'll talk more about this in the Weekend Forecast on Friday (in short: should have released in March again).

Frozen 2 will, unofficially, break the modern day showings/seating record, and it's doing so with ease.  

Unsurprisingly, Disney and theaters are going all-out for its release.  By comparison, it's receiving 50/60% more showings/seating than other major releases such as the recent Star Wars films or Disney live-action releases like Aladdin.  

So, it'll have more than enough showings and seating available to allow for a record opening, or at least a mammoth one, but will it?  I'll have a list up soon of widest releases in terms of showtimes/seating.  Just note that receiving a trillion showtimes/seats doesn't always translate to a bigger opening.  Interest, of course, still has to be there.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

According to Corpse, here are the biggest opening weekends without previews included.

Yeah I was thinking Yo-Kai Watch but wasn't sure how big. So it's ¥1.6B. With all that seats, Frozen 2 can challenge this I guess. But the question is how many of that seats will be filled on OW. I feel that it won't break it, because it will be more backloaded compared to those animes on the top of the list.

6 hours ago, catlover said:

That would need ¥2B. For 3 days, maybe, but unlikely. And for traditional 2-day OW, I don't think theaters in Japan have that kind of capacity. That number for ROTS is recorded as its "2-day" OW. But if I remember correctly, it actually includes previews on the previous weeks. The same with other biggest openers like Matrix Reloaded. It makes me wondering, what movie has the biggest OW without previews?

as per insidekino

The best starts of all time
No. visitors Movie
1 1486743 Matrix reloaded
FLjp_small.png 1484916 Yo-Ki Watch
3 1469755 Harry Potter 3
4 1467945 Harry Potter 5
5 1421738 Pirates of the Caribbean 2
6 1390446 Harry Potter 2
7 1359454 Harry Potter 4
8th 1357977 The revenge of the Sith
9 1279120 Harry Potter 1
10 1198210 The Lord of the Rings 2

1 hour ago, Sunny Max said:

as per insidekino

The best starts of all time
No. visitors Movie
1 1486743 Matrix reloaded
FLjp_small.png 1484916 Yo-Ki Watch
3 1469755 Harry Potter 3
4 1467945 Harry Potter 5
5 1421738 Pirates of the Caribbean 2
6 1390446 Harry Potter 2
7 1359454 Harry Potter 4
8th 1357977 The revenge of the Sith
9 1279120 Harry Potter 1
10 1198210 The Lord of the Rings 2

I checked the box office report on eiga.com for the week each movie was released, and I found that only Yo-Kai Watch, HP2 and HP1's are without previews. Also HP1's number is supposed to be 1,379,120. So I think it's:

1. Yo-Kai Watch

2. HP2

3. HP1

It's really hard to do comparison with this "previews are included in OW" thing, because back in the day, "previews" were held in Japan, not only for several hours, but for a whole day or a whole weekend, or even multiple weekends. Thank god, they don't do that anymore.

1 minute ago, catlover said:

I checked the box office report on eiga.com for the week each movie was released, and I found that only Yo-Kai Watch, HP2 and HP1's are without previews. Also HP1's number is supposed to be 1,379,120. So I think it's:

1. Yo-Kai Watch

2. HP2

3. HP1

Yeah that's the top 3 all time openers without previews ..

Look at the HP series in Japan .. :mouthdropped: From OWs to life time 

5 hours ago, Sunny Max said:

Look at the HP series in Japan .. :mouthdropped: From OWs to life time 

Yeah, Harry Potter was a true phenomenon in Japan. Although each sequel continued to lose a large portion of the audience (the final film grossed less than half of the first film).

15 minutes ago, Mau said:

So i read that there are no classes in japan from saturday 25 to january 5, is this true? Could this help frozen 2 BO in japan? 

Yeah it absolutely would help Frozen II. That also sounds pretty true.

Edited by cannastop

13 hours ago, Jedi Jat said:

I think Toy Story numbers may be far fetched but let's see. It will be crazy if it hit $7mn on Saturday & Sunday.

you mean $7m each day?  $14m total?

I dont think OW matters much.  Weekdays will be interesting to gauge.  3rd weekend hold will be telltale.

4 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Yeah, Harry Potter was a true phenomenon in Japan. Although each sequel continued to lose a large portion of the audience (the final film grossed less than half of the first film).

Yeah .. 60.70 Million total admissions for the franchise in Japan ...  Absolutely ridiculous 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

TS4 faced major competition having released in summer. F2 has relatively open calendar. Though Corpse feels it should have kept March release like previous movie. 

Yeah, don't know why it doesn't keep March release. Probably doesn't want to let Japan as it's biggest market has to wait 5 months to watch it. Still if it release in March it will get spring break for students and Golden Weeks to push late legs like first movie.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mau said:

How much can star wars hurt frozen in japan? 

Probably very little effect, just like how Lion King did not affect TS4 in any meaningful way. In Japan, big releases can often exist side by side without cannibalizing each other's business. 

• Like 1

Also i just know that TS4 OW inflated by Monday holiday. That's why it's evening business was much stronger than usual and why Sunday increase 54% over Saturday.

It's Fri-Sun 146-274-422 on mimorin.

Anyway Frozen 2 just started it's first day, let's see if today can get 200k admission from mimorin number. With Joker I usually just multiply it with 20 ( ¥1500 yen avg Tix)  to get it's daily gross but animated movies should have different avg ticket price I guess. 

Edited by RJ 95
  • Like 2