hasanahmad

Thursday Box Office 5/17/2012 Avengers 6.2 (402M) Dictator 2.8 (7M) DS 1.7 (38M)

Wrath of the Titans did 1m+ in midnights. 400k for Battleship, although it isn't a sequel, isn't good. I've had it well below 30m all week and that's where it's heading.

Seeing things that way is harsh but true.

AVENGERS 400M!TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT. ANOTHER RECORD!BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand.So many records...Magic gone, maybe?No way!! lolI want as many weeks as possible with, at least, 1 record for TheAvengers.

Yeesh.I thought we'd see some increases today.

Wonder what happened? People saving their money for Battleship. :lol:I bet THG increases though. I would be surprised if it didn't.

why do people hope certain films bomb? I can understand maybe if it was because the movie was promoting bad morals or something but if its just a movie you are not interested in, just don't see it. Are you under the naive impression that if those kinds of movies flop, studios will stop making them and make smaller movies all the time?

Personally, I want TASM to bomb because that's the only chance of Sony letting the movie rights revert to marvel. That will only happen if Sony's Spiderman and Ghostrider films do horribly. Ditto for Fox's X-Men movies, Fantastic Four moives, and Daredevil movies.It may never happen, but I can atleast try to do my part. I'm not seeing any of them in the movie theaters anymore. And I will hope that they fail.

That is understandable seeing as it is a sequel to a very well received movie.Hancock was just...really, really bad.

You make a good point. It puzzles me what anyone saw in MIB, but I digress.Will Smith has starred in several other bad movies that have made more than $100M, though. Wild Wild West, Shark Tale, "I, Robot" and Bad Boys 2 (again the sequel factor, but in this case Bad Boys wasn't good either).Then there's Independence Day. It's one of the worst shitfests I've ever seen (I don't know how it has a 'barely fresh' 61% RT score), and it grossed over $300M. Huge number given it's era.So I didn't find the combination of trainwreck film and box office boom that defined Hancock to be a surprise. Will Smith can do that.

Dark Shadows is having a lousy run. I don't think it'll hurt Burton though, studios will continue handing him blank checks to make whatever purfunctory gothic crap he wants (very much looking forward to Frankenweenie, though). If you suggested a couple of months ago that Avengers would finish in the1.4-1.5b range worldwide, you'd have been locked up in the loony bin. This thing is defying limits for franchise pics.

1 Marvel's The Avengers $6,208,042 -2% 4,349 0 $1,427 $402,021,415 2 Disney

2 The Dictator $2,865,807 -31% 3,003 -- $954 $7,041,081 0 Paramount

3 Dark Shadows $1,689,368 -8% 3,755 -- $450 $38,138,421 1 Warner Bros.

4 The Hunger Games $384,315 2% 2,531 -263 $152 $388,631,110 8 Lionsgate

Edited by Olive