Neo

The Magnificent Seven | 9/23/16 | Reviews coming in - not exactly Magnificent

On 24 באוגוסט 2016 at 11:07 PM, EmpireCity said:

It is because you are at end of summer and Sony is concentrated on Don't Breathe right now but will shift to Magnificent Seven leading into their big premiere at TIFF.  You will likely see a huge campaign that starts next week with the college football and NFL football kicking off.  

You were right, it's not even a week later and already I'm seeing a noticeable increase in chatter on social media.

Some "Remaking a classic!? blasphemy!" comments but a lot more excited and positive reactions. Seems like the trailers and TV spots are doing their work. 

As long as the movie is not outright rotten (unlikely), I'm feeling more and more confident that this is gonna do very well and possibly break the September record.

• Like 1

Mag 7 is that type of movie where it has enough brand recognition to bring in the oldies, as well as that 20 something crowd who pretend to have seen it but really have no idea what it is.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Does this feature a variation of the original theme in any way?

None of us have watched it yet, how would we know?

Some estimates from Deadline's fall movie preview

Rivals have MGM/Sony’s Denzel Washington-Chris Pratt western reboot The Magnificent Seven opening in the $50M vicinity with a social media universe of 69M and overall videos views at 22M.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

None of us have watched it yet, how would we know?

Some estimates from Deadline's fall movie preview

I'm surprised that the marketing hasn't incorporated the iconic theme in any way (even a modernized riff on it). lol if this like when the Endless Love remake didn't even feature a cover version of the title song (which is the only thing anyone even remembers about the original of that movie in the first place).

On 30.8.2016 at 4:49 AM, Jonwo said:

Looks like it's on course to break the September record if rival predictions are in the $50m range. Boxoffice.com's long term tracking was $49m IIRC

Yup, I guess around $50M OW is the popular prediction right now. Sounds good to me! Hope it sticks as we get closer to release. 

Anyway, here are the last three character vignettes, for Hawke, Denzel and Pratt.

Edited by JennaJ

From Collider's September movies BO prediction:

The Magnificent Seven appears to be slightly more restrained than the aforementioned films (Training Day and The Equalizer), and is only Fuqua’s third film to earn a PG-13 rating. However, the trailers show off an immense amount of action, and the film is widely considered to be one of the most anticipated fall releases.

One of the biggest reasons for said anticipation is Washington’s co-star, Chris Pratt, whose last two films (Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World), were massive hits. Pratt in a very short amount of time has become a major box office draw, and the combination of these two movie stars makes this a must-see for film fans.

Although some recent Westerns have struggled at the box office (Cowboys & Aliens, The Hateful Eight), the success of Django Unchained and True Grit prove that audiences will still turn up if the material has the right appeal. Though Deepwater Horizon may steal some of the older audiences, The Magnificent Seven may end up as one of one of the biggest hits ever to be released in September.

Opening Weekend: $50 million

Projected Gross Range: $100 million – $200 million

Estimated Final Gross: $160 million

So basically in line with current predictions from other sources. I like these predictions so far!

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

From Collider's September movies BO prediction:

So basically in line with current predictions from other sources. I like these predictions so far!

They aren't very good at predicting.

I definitely don't see anything higher than 150M for this film. That is the cap

$42 million/$124 million

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

They aren't very good at predicting.

I definitely don't see anything higher than 150M for this film. That is the cap

$42 million/$124 million

We'll see. I could definitely see it breaking out, but being a Western remake in 2016 leaves valid doubts.

I guess we'll know more once reviews start to come out.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 3

THis will be a good test if Pratt is really a box office draw or if he was just lucky to be the  lead in a couple of smash hit films  that would have done about as well with any halfway acceptable leading man in them.

Let's face it, the Dinosaurs were the real box office draw with JW.

Edited by dudalb

On 8/29/2016 at 9:49 PM, Jonwo said:

Looks like it's on course to break the September record if rival predictions are in the $50m range. Boxoffice.com's long term tracking was $49m IIRC

Rivals almost always predict higher than tracking, not to mention the Studio (which tend toward more conservative) .  Part of the game of managing expectation and setting levels for disappointments.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THis will be a good test if Pratt is really a box office draw or if he was just lucky to be the  lead in a couple of smash hit films  that would have done about as well with any halfway acceptable leading man in them.

Let's face it, the Dinosaurs were the real box office draw with JW.

So if this succeeds, we won't get "This is all on Denzel, Pratt was just along for the ride" comments? 

I'd like to believe that.

PS - Nobody says the Dinosaurs aren't the main draw in JW, but that doesn't mean Pratt was not a draw at all. It can be a combination, you know.

14 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

So if this succeeds, we won't get "This is all on Denzel, Pratt was just along for the ride" comments? 

I'd like to believe that.

PS - Nobody says the Dinosaurs aren't the main draw in JW, but that doesn't mean Pratt was not a draw at all. It can be a combination, you know.

It depends on how much it succeeds.  Denzel opened the darker hard R The Equalizer to $34m on his own

The Dinosaurs and the Jurrassic IP were like 99% of the draw.  Most of Pratt's current buzz now is off of GOTG otherwise people would be saying Bryce is a huge draw as she was the main protagonist of the movie, but they don't.