Neo

It | Sept. 8, 2017 | Warner Brothers | Andy Muschietti directing. Trailer on Page 12 NO SPOILER DISCUSSION. Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Wouldn't this movie be a bigger hit if it had been rated PG-13 instead of R? Seems like many young teens and kids would have liked to be able to see it in theaters.

Just a thought I had.

If it was pg-13, you'd have the tv version.  If you have read the book, you know that this has to be a hard R.  

If it was pg-13, you'd have the tv version. If you have read the book, you know that this has to be a hard R.

The book is easily NC-17.

Doesn't mean the movie should have that rating.

The miniseries was really tame like PG rating. Loved it just fine, even though I wish it had been more faithful to the novel.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The book is easily NC-17.

Doesn't mean the movie should have that rating.

The miniseries was really tame like PG rating. Loved it just fine, even though I wish it had been more faithful to the novel.

Well, we can't get into spoilers here but you know some of the murders in the book and the overall tone of the kids and such, can not be pg-13 if you are going to make a faithful adaptation of the book.  That's why they went to the theatrical release instead of the silver screen again.  Give the film the treatment it deserves.  And who cares if kids can't get into it.  There's plenty of R rated movies that have done well.

• Like 2

Well, we can't get into spoilers here but you know some of the murders in the book and the overall tone of the kids and such, can not be pg-13 if you are going to make a faithful adaptation of the book. That's why they went to the theatrical release instead of the silver screen again. Give the film the treatment it deserves. And who cares if kids can't get into it. There's plenty of R rated movies that have done well.

I'm really interested to see how this movie differs from the miniseries. I'd imagine many kids and teens like myself that grew up on Tim Curry as the Pennywise is going to be interested in this movie.
Like superheroes in movies there is no definitive version for me, just different versions that I can enjoy both versions of.-

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

This looks dumb

You need to read the book.  It's anything but dumb and it's one of the most detailed books you'll ever read.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wouldn't this movie be a bigger hit if it had been rated PG-13 instead of R? Seems like many young teens and kids would have liked to be able to see it in theaters.

Just a thought I had.

Not a bad question, some recent horror hit were PG-13 like Split (138m)

But they didn't do more than Get Out (175m), Conjuring (137m) that were R-rated.

Did it help a movie like split to be pg-13 ?

On is first weekend according to this:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/get-out-collide-rock-dog-lego-batman-fifty-shades-darker-box-office-1201964096/

18-24 audience were close to 33% of the audience

over 25 were 61% of the audience

So the 2-16 were less than 6% of the OW audience, the unaccompagnied by an 17 or more year's old 2-16 that could not have bought a ticket were less than that.....

That under 17 audience is getting more and more extremelly hard and costly to get into theater (need a really costly franchise superheroes, star wars, animation , etc...) and is probably not worth making too much of an effort for most movies and not worth sacrificing much to achieve the rating.

Dunkirk was even more 25+ is first weekend (76% of the audience were over 25 and most of the rest were probably 17 to 24)

It didn't matter for films like Passion of the Christ, Matrix Reloaded and Deadpool just to name a few.  And not everything has to be dumbed down and cater to teenagers.  There's plenty of adults who go to the movies who will support this film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

You need to read the book.  It's anything but dumb and it's one of the most detailed books you'll ever read.

Of course I make no comment on the source material. I'm sure it is very good. I just think the trailer is pretty piss poor

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not a bad question, some recent horror hit were PG-13 like Split (138m)

But they didn't do more than Get Out (175m), Conjuring (137m) that were R-rated.

Did it help a movie like split to be pg-13 ?

On is first weekend according to this:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/get-out-collide-rock-dog-lego-batman-fifty-shades-darker-box-office-1201964096/

18-24 audience were close to 33% of the audience

over 25 were 61% of the audience

So the 2-16 were less than 6% of the OW audience, the unaccompagnied by an 17 or more year's old 2-16 that could not have bought a ticket were less than that.....

That under 17 audience is getting more and more extremelly hard and costly to get into theater (need a really costly franchise superheroes, star wars, animation , etc...) and is probably not worth making too much of an effort for most movies and not worth sacrificing much to achieve the rating.

Dunkirk was even more 25+ is first weekend (76% of the audience were over 25 and most of the rest were probably 17 to 24)

That's odd for Split.  I saw it on opening night in a sold out theater and I'd say at least 90% of the crowd was under 18.

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Of course I make no comment on the source material. I'm sure it is very good. I just think the trailer is pretty piss poor

Fair enough.  I hope you find time to read it some day.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Split is one of the most random PG-13s the MPAA has given out. It's 15 in the majority of countries and ticks off several boxes the MPAA is normally prudish about.

Nah it's definitely PG-13.  A lot of the shit that would make it R is implied and only hinted at rather than shown.