Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

It's not the best comp.  GITS was inherently frontloaded and relied on presales from its fanbase.  Valerian is going to have much stronger walkups.

All of the walk ups are going to a certain movie full of Styles.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 11:36 AM, Napoleon said:

January 1st

Why Luc Besson's 'Valerian' May Determine the Fate of Europe's Most High-Profile Studio

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-luc-bessons-valerian-may-determine-fate-europes-high-profile-studio-963155

June 20

"I heard that a newspaper did write a bit of shit about the company but actually this newspaper belongs to another company that is going to release a film at the same time. It sounds to me like a very, very below-the-belt attack."

http://www.screendaily.com/features/interviews/luc-besson-talks-valerian-the-biggest-cinema-gamble-of-2017/5119067.article

July 10

The Razzies don't need to wait until the end of the year to anoint a winner for 2017. The Golden Turkey Awards should be republished with a new cover.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/valerian-city-a-thousand-planets-review-1019847

:sparta:

4 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

How much does this have to do OS for a sequel?

Minimum Lucy numbers WW, though how well it does in respective markets compared to what they shelled out to Europcorp is more important when it comes to getting that kind of money again for the budget.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Minimum Lucy numbers WW, though how well it does in respective markets compared to what they shelled out to Europcorp is more important when it comes to getting that kind of money again for the budget.

Lucy's budget was about 5 times less though. 40 million as opposed to 200+ for this. Although the 463 total of Lucy wouldnt be too bad for this

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Lucy's budget was about 5 times less though. 40 million as opposed to 200+ for this. Although the 463 total of Lucy wouldnt be too bad for this

Lucy's budget was about $70m from official French sources. The $40m was misreported then stuck.

Besson is the one who said they'd be OK if this did Lucy numbers. That total wouldn't be the great success it was for Lucy, but enough that they're OK and maybe enough to try a sequel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lucy's budget was about $70m from official French sources. The $40m was misreported then stuck.

Besson is the one who said they'd be OK if this did Lucy numbers. That total wouldn't be the great success it was for Lucy, but enough that they're OK and maybe enough to try a sequel.

If the Valerian budget is true $180M, then Lucy WW would be ok I would think, it's 2.5x+ the budget.

As long as people buy into it and good WOW will prevail for future release.

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

In gross budget, in US dollar the difference is considerably smaller than that (if we are to look at the box office in US dollar later and not in Euro)

Lucy: 45.445m Euro gross budget for around  60.5 million US in those day in 2013/14 exchange rate.

Valerian: 197.47m Euro gross budget around 217.2 million US in 2015/16 exchange rate

4.3 time in Euro, 3.6 time in US dollar.

Net it could be bigger than that and close to 4.5/5 like you said I really don't know because it is certain Valerian is not getting 73.5m in rebate (33% like that Lucy rumor), it is capped at 30m euro from France I think.

4 minutes ago, Subzero said:

If the Valerian budget is true $180M, then Lucy WW would be ok I would think, it's 2.5x+ the budget.

As long as people buy into it and good WOW will prevail for future release.

The gross budget is 197.47 m Euro

http://www.profession-spectacle.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/La-production-cinématographique-en-2016.pdf

And it is getting at least 30m Euro in rebate (that the maximum from the French state), depending if they have to sell it, can use it or if it is direct cash it would go around 167.47 Euro for the net budget.

Depending on when it was spent and the exchange rate use, that is around 184 million US yes, maybe they received others credit from other jurisdiction. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AJG said:

That overrated hack is still popular?!

:winomg:

Yup, and his "fanbase" grows stronger everyday. 

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Are there people who actually think this'll perform decently in the US? This thread is so full of snark I honestly can't tell.

I'm pretty sure most people are joking, although it's hard to tell with some, especially those are who sticking to stanning for it, cough cough thatoneguy. 

Edited by Fancyarcher