Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Here is the key number to keep in mind: 260m.

260m is about what SM4 would have made had it dropped exactly the same from the franchise average as both Shrek 4 and Pirates 4 did. Both money and attendance-wise(factoring inflation and 3D). Any $$$ over 260m would have be considered a bonus for Sony. Not to mention the fact that a SM5 may have continued the franchise slide(or...more likely would have never been made), while a TASM2 has a good chance to increase.

I would also make the argument that SM4 may have dropped even worse than Pirates and Shrek had they went forward with their plans and considering WOM on SM3. SM4 sounded like a disaster of Batman and Robin proportions.

• Like 1

It greatly depends on which Orci/Kurtzman shows up...ST09/TF1/The Island/MI3 Orci/Kurtzman or TF2/Zorro2/C&A Orci/Kurtzman.

Based on track record if J.J. Abrams is directing whatever they wrote (Mission: Impossible 3, Star Trek), expect something good. Otherwise, shit.

260m is about what SM4 would have made had it dropped exactly the same from the franchise average as both Shrek 4 and Pirates 4 did. Both money and attendance-wise(factoring inflation and 3D). Any $$$ over 260m would have be considered a bonus for Sony. Not to mention the fact that a SM5 may have continued the franchise slide(or...more likely would have never been made), while a TASM2 has a good chance to increase.

I would also make the argument that SM4 may have dropped even worse than Pirates and Shrek had they went forward with their plans and considering WOM on SM3. SM4 sounded like a disaster of Batman and Robin proportions.

That is really pointless argument. Nobody could tell how much money SM4 would have made. Surely it'd have dropped from SM3, but it could have been a good film and cross 300m easily. TASM is losing the third of SM3's audience, that's poor. Anything under 280m is clearly a disappointment.

That is really pointless argument. Nobody could tell how much money SM4 would have made. Surely it'd have dropped from SM3, but it could have been a good film and cross 300m easily. TASM is losing the third of SM3's audience, that's poor. Anything under 280m is clearly a disappointment.

The facts are what they are. You must have thought I was stating an opinion. Maybe the last bit was, but what I said above it was just cold hard numbers. 260m+ makes it more successful than either Shrek 4 or Pirates 4 when compared to what the franchises did respectively. And with brighter prospects with a sequel planned and a definite release date set. You can tell me how 280 is a disappointment all you want but that's not a fact. That is an opinion.This is not lowered expectations either. I had expectations and TASM will most likely not meet them. But my personal expectations were not the success/fail line...as your expectations were not either. ;)

This had a huge OD here, and after that it started to collapse. It has to stop!I saw it today btw. Great movie. I want a sequel. It has so much potential! Emma Stone is perfect :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

This had a huge OD here, and after that it started to collapse. It has to stop!I saw it today btw. Great movie. I want a sequel. It has so much potential! Emma Stone is perfect :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Good for you! Hopefully more people check it out instead of letting all the overly negative comments get to them

I would agree with you if not for one key factor in all of this.

Sony.

They are never going to let this franchise breathe. They meddled with Raimi's vision after he made what I considered to be the best superhero movie ever made at the time. The first two were also two of the highest grossing movies ever made!

There is clear evidence of them tampering with this version so much that it can barely be called a movie(certainly not a good one). Since this one is doing just good enough, they certainly aren't going to let Webb run wild, if he even comes back.

I don't think the second one will get made in time for it's scheduled release date. It's gotta start moving along really soon for that to happen.

Spider-man 2 was released 2 years later also. It can be done.

Spidey 2 was delayed almost 2 months from early May to late June. But if TASM2 is filming by May next year, they can easily make their date.I think Sony was naturally worried about the reboot being crap, given that if it turned out to be a disaster, it would pretty much sink the only blockbuster franchise that Sony had. Hopefully they ease up a bit knowing they got away with one.

SM4 sounded like a disaster of Batman and Robin proportions.

Sorry but i disagree.B&R: THIRD actor playing Batman + director pushing the (someyimes funny in BF) eccentricities over the limits here.SM4: same crew, same director willing to re-establish his past honor.Esthetic choices from SM3 weren't as polarizing as the ones in BF.The first Batman franchise is really cut in two: Burton/Schumacher.The first Spider-Man franchise is from "one" man (i know, Hollywood suits and all) and i could have had confidence on Raimi for a last "right" effort basing on SM and SM2 qualities.

I'm with AA on this. TASM 2 has a great chance of increasing where as Spidey 5 probably would have continued the downward slide.

SM4 would have been the one to "suffer" but if quality was here, a 5th movie could have increased.

(but not to SM/SM2 high, for sure).

By the way, is there a blockbuster franchise with 4+ movies declining with each movie?

Yes, it(Batman Begins) only doubled it's predecessor's(Batman & Robin) total. ...

NO, it didn't! Can't believe I missed this & let you get away with it yesterday.

BB(2005): actual of $205,343,774m adjusts to $253,716,500m today

B&R(1997): actual of $107,325,195m adjusts to $185,188,600m today

That's not even a 50% increase, let alone 100%! You Nolanites & your Bat-crazy BS!... When will it ever stop?!

I posted FACTS not spinned numbers. ...

NO, posting spinned #'s is eXactly what you did! Facts?!... Ha! You're apparently not aquainted w/them @ all! Twisted ones maybe.

Ya know, I really wish Batties the likes of you, RTX, & Hasan Ahmad would be content to circle-jerkin' it over in the DKR threads. Constantly trollin' the Spidey ones w/your Debbie Downer, Negative Nancy, & Sour Sally routines has gotten REAL old, REAL quick. Don't you think it's about time ya all give it up & move the fuck on? Go enjoy your own film & let others do the same w/TASM if they want. It's almost certain at this point it will never be considered an outright failure, say like Green Lantern or B&R. You need to come to terms with that & be at peace with it... the sooner, the better, for ALL of us!

Should finish with less than 300m after all and be right around were I predicted, I guess no crow for me because in the end it appears one word will describe this BO performance and that is underwhelming.

• Like 1