Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Very far from all the Spidey's but still soild for a reboot only 5 years later with a music video director and two up and coming stars.140 Million 6-day and this is an"Unwated film"???, I don't know about that. Spider-man is always going to be a popular character. The original Spider-man Trilogy will always get the nod as the standard, even if Part 3 was weak. So the reboot in my opinion is setting up the next chapter in the Spidey film universe. Spider-man is like Batman and Superman, it's not going to just end, they will be doing this films forever. So to acting like the original trilogy should be the only trilogy is misguided. Tobey was getting up there and sadily Rami was getting stale studio interfernece or not, Spidey 3 was awful on Epic proportions.Should he atleast got one more round? Sure I think so but I see Sony's point. Why go with Spidey 4 and then burn down the house, why not burn it down now and start over. Also for the "Keeping the Rights", why wouldn't they? Spidey is a popular franchise, why should Sony just give Disney Spidey money? If Marvel and Disney want some Spidey, they need to folk over the dough so he can be in the Avengers but Sony would be idiotic to give up the rights to a character like Spider-man. At the end of the day Marc Webb was doing music videos not so long ago, now his 2nd film will having one of the highest grosses of 2012.

TASM brings nothing new to the 'Spidey cinematic experience' story wise IMO. I think skipping the origin story entirely and giving us a new story with the new cast would have been completely acceptable and a better path to take. But unfortunately:

I think it's quite clear that they intend to mimic the Nolan trilogy here which IMO lacks imagination. I'll be greatly surprised if they don't pull a Rachel Dawes and kill off Gwen in the second film so the third will be about his redemption.

And yes....financially I agree that they should keep the rights! That's an excellent move by Sony! But if they are going to be cynical an throw out a movie JUST to keep the rights I think we should be a bit guarded in our enthusiasm as well. Marvel Studios manages to make money while still respecting the characters after all.And as far as Webb being only two years away from making music videos....how is that a good thing? Should be get a medal? A cookie? The CGI is meh and the action sequences are nowhere near as exciting as other Spidey films from 8+ years ago! How is this progress? Unless you like the 'Dark Knight filter' they applied.

Edited by Adm56

Well Spidey haters, that was a solid weekend after opening on Tuesday, even with a 2x Multiplier from it's opening 6 days, that would put it at 280 so it will finish closer to or above 300.

Yep, this and ROA is going to kill my summer game prospects. I was doing so well until the last two weeks.

Very far from all the Spidey's but still soild for a reboot only 5 years later with a music video director and two up and coming stars.

You say this as if it was default things that the project had to overcome.

- Director coming from music video? Hollywood eat them every morning, it's usual!

- Up & coming stars? Hollywood is made of them!

The bad SM3 vibe and the short timegap were the main problems that movie had.

Hell, even the director's name could be seen as a "marketing plus". lol

You say this as if it was default things that the project had to overcome.- Director coming from music video? Hollywood eat them every morning, it's usual!- Up & coming stars? Hollywood is made of them!The bad SM3 vibe and the short timegap were the main problems that movie had.Hell, even the director's name could be seen as a "marketing plus". lol

My point is Webb is no Sam Rami and Garfield is no Tobey Maguire as far as status in Hollywood. Also Stone is not Dunst either so you are rebooting a popular franchise with a Director and leading Stars not as famous as the previous ones, that will always be a challenge. 2 of my favorite directors from the modern era Bay and Fincher started in music videos so I Know good directors come from the music videos. But let's not act like Webb's film resume jumps out on the screen cause it doesn't even though 500dos was good. So as you said, they had bad WOM from Spidey 3, 5 year gap, another origin story after 10 years and critism all across the net. Through it all the film managed to average 23 Million per day over it's 1st 6 days. Pretty good for the challenges they had to overcome. Edited by filmscholar

My point is Webb is no Sam Rami and Garfield is no Tobey Maguire as far as status in Hollywood. Also Stone is not Dunst either so you are rebooting a popular franchise with a Director and leading Stars not as famous as the previous ones, that will always be a challenge.

Indeed, but when SM arrived, Maguire and Dunst had mainly indie appeal.TASM used the "up&coming but with already some successes under their belt" card with Garfield & Stone.

I think it's more of a mixed bag. I don't have a time machine that can take me back to 2002 but I seem to remember Dunst being less of a thing than Emma Stone is now and Toby being slightly more of a star than Andrew Garfield is now. So in my opinion it's a wash 'obstacle wise'. Garfield and Stone were very good together but it's one of only a few things TASM had going for it.

TASM brings nothing new to the 'Spidey cinematic experience' story wise IMO. I think skipping the origin story entirely and giving us a new story with the new cast would have been completely acceptable and a better path to take. But unfortunately:I think it's quite clear that they intend to mimic the Nolan trilogy here which IMO lacks imagination.

Keep the lead actors, dump Webb. He`s utterly replacable. he established the romance and now it`s time for someone who cna actually do action and plot to take over. Cause script was crap and direction uninspired.Actors succeeded inspite of it not because.Oh and Lizard was fuckin terrible and his plot LOL. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

Keep the lead actors, dump Webb. He`s utterly replacable. he established the romance and now it`s time for someone who cna actually do action and plot to take over. Cause script was crap and direction uninspired.Actors succeeded inspite of it not because.Oh and Lizard was fuckin terrible and his plot LOL.

His plot:

Or 'scheme' was pretty much the same as Scarecrow's in Batman Begins: Steal device that allows to you spray your chemical agent all over Gotham (New York) to make people crazy (turn them into lizards). I would have cared more about him if they would have given us a reason to. The original trilogy may have beaten the 'misunderstood villain' angle to death and back but even in the worst film the scene where Sandman regains human form for the first time after his accident is 10x better than any motivation given to the Lizard in TASM. You can clearly see that Webb and company intended to hit most of the same beats as the previous Spidey and Nolan films (mostly the latter) but they must have misunderstood what made them work in those films. The crane sequence is but one example...VERY heavy handed compared to similar stuff in Spidey 1 and 2.

Edited by Adm56

His plot:

Or 'scheme' was pretty much the same as Scarecrow's in Batman Begins: Steal device that allows to you spray your chemical agent all over Gotham (New York) to make people crazy (turn them into lizards). I would have cared more about him if they would have given us a reason to. The original trilogy may have beaten the 'misunderstood villain' angle to death and back but even in the worst film the scene where Sandman regains human form for the first time after his accident is 10x better than any motivation given to the Lizard in TASM. You can clearly see that Webb and company intended to hit most of the same beats as the previous Spidey and Nolan films (mostly the latter) but they must have misunderstood what made them work in those films. The crane sequence is but one example...VERY heavy handed compared to similar stuff in Spidey 1 and 2.

Agreed.IMO, they should drop canon and stick to Gwen as long as Garfield is PP. PP&Gwen are this movie`s only real asset and it would be stupid to change dynamics by bringing in MJ who may not have the chemistry. Plau MJ was covered in Raimi trilogy and could be covered in a next reboot (aren`t they planning only 3 SM movies?) with different actors.I just have Bond in mind where amazing pairing of DC and Eva was replaced by attrocious black hole of screen time that was DC and Sourpuss.

I think it's more of a mixed bag. I don't have a time machine that can take me back to 2002 but I seem to remember Dunst being less of a thing than Emma Stone is now and Toby being slightly more of a star than Andrew Garfield is now. So in my opinion it's a wash 'obstacle wise'. Garfield and Stone were very good together but it's one of only a few things TASM had going for it.

Indeed, Dunst was "the kid" from InterviewwithaVampire, Jumanji and one of the blonde beauty of Virgin Suicide.

Stone is hot coming off Easy A, Crazy Stupid Love and The Help. And have biiig internet support.

Edited by Gideon