Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

:rotfl: decrease? I kinda expected it after he huge jump but wasn't gonna beat my chest about it. This is happening almost exactly like the scenario that went down in the debate in the over transformers 178M thread though with much more conservative drops. :)

that guy wasn't being serious lol

Interesting thing with SR, the Imax version had a few senses that were 3D you had to keep taking your glasses on/off through out the film. The Imax partial 3d version of the film was huge (and this was back before MinImax so it was all traditional Imax theatres) and had a substantial run for ExampleLincoln Square Imax in NYC took well over 1.5m with it and it ran for close to 20 weeksIn Sacremento area the Imax version didn't start until around week 6 of release and ran for something like 15 weeks and in its first week it took more money than any theatre in the area had taking back in week1 of release and also in week6 took more than double the BO of all theatres playing the film in that weekNow either/or people were waiting 6 weeks for it to come in Imax or there was a shit load of repeat business

had to be for the plane scene that was made for 3d

:rotfl: decrease? I kinda expected it after he huge jump but wasn't gonna beat my chest about it. This is happening almost exactly like the scenario that went down in the debate in the over transformers 178M thread though with much more conservative drops. :)

I have kept quiet through most of your remarks, but this is borderline trolling. Of course it's not decreasing, even if Sims' theater is flat(and considering the source I'm pretty skeptical anyway, this info is not exactly coming from iJack...or even Rth), one theater is not the nation. I think it's time you toned down your rhetoric just a tad. Now it looks like you're just saying things to get a reaction from the loonies.

I have kept quiet through most of your remarks, but this is borderline trolling. Of course it's not decreasing, even if Sims' theater is flat(and considering the source I'm pretty skeptical anyway, this info is not exactly coming from iJack...or even Rth), one theater is not the nation. I think it's time you toned down your rhetoric just a tad. Now it looks like you're just saying things to get a reaction from the loonies.

For some reason.... Pointman popped in my head. :P

You predicted this: 115 M OW | 230 M total... I think where it'll finish will overwhelm you.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't my last prediction. It might have been but I think I had 130m/260m somewhere

I so the film, did a write up in the review section.Saw a 1:40matinee in a 500 seater that was 1/3 full.Not.IMPRESSEDI would like to have been proven wrong--I wasn't sadly.

Not good comming from a spidey fan

Well Spidey haters, that was a solid weekend after opening on Tuesday, even with a 2x Multiplier from it's opening 6 days, that would put it at 280 so it will finish closer to or above 300.

But I LOVE Spidey...I just didn't like this latest film!My self worth isn't tied up into TASM's box office numbers. I'm fine if it does okay because I liked the casting and would like to see if they can make a better film the next time around.But in a way I'd also be happy to see it under perform because IMO this is the second example of a studio spitting out an 'unwanted' film just to keep the rights to the character in question (rather than have them return to Marvel who I think would do a better job with them).My 'examples' are TASM and X-Men First Class of course (although it may be a bit of a stretch to refer to the latter as 'unwanted'). They mimic each other pretty well....very good first outing....second in each series was pretty much a classic....third movie in each went off the rails. In X-Men:FC's defense at least they tried something new. Sony's attempt with TASM seems a bit more cynical.As a corporation I think Sony did the right thing. But that doesn't make this movie art that should be praised. They applied a 'Dark Knight' filter to Spider-man...hired a good casting director and substandard CGI house to film a rehash...that's all they did. :( Edited by Adm56

Well Spidey haters, that was a solid weekend after opening on Tuesday, even with a 2x Multiplier from it's opening 6 days, that would put it at 280 so it will finish closer to or above 300.

So how far is that from adjusted SM minus 3D inflation?

. They applied a 'Dark Knight' filter to Spider-man...hired a good casting director and substandard CGI house to film a rehash...that's all they did. :(

oh no oh no oh no oh noI'm seing it in 2 days.

oh no oh no oh no oh noI'm seing it in 2 days.

Don't let my opinion stop you. You might enjoy it. Different strokes and all that.But I'm watching Spider-man 2 this morning in the background and one thing that really stands out is how sprawling the action sequences are in that film. Spider-man battles should be crazy energetic webslinging pickin' and a grinnin' affairs. By comparison the majority of the action sequences in TASM are 'Spidey in a phonebooth'. And by the time they open it up a bit I'm already bored. And it didn't have to be that way since in the comics the villain certainly showed enough mobility to hang with Spidey in more of a running battle. Edited by Adm56

So how far is that from adjusted SM minus 3D inflation?

Very far from all the Spidey's but still soild for a reboot only 5 years later with a music video director and two up and coming stars.

But in a way I'd also be happy to see it under perform because IMO this is the second example of a studio spitting out an 'unwanted' film just to keep the rights to the character in question (rather than have them return to Marvel who I think would do a better job with them).

140 Million 6-day and this is an"Unwated film"???, I don't know about that. Spider-man is always going to be a popular character. The original Spider-man Trilogy will always get the nod as the standard, even if Part 3 was weak. So the reboot in my opinion is setting up the next chapter in the Spidey film universe. Spider-man is like Batman and Superman, it's not going to just end, they will be doing this films forever. So to acting like the original trilogy should be the only trilogy is misguided. Tobey was getting up there and sadily Rami was getting stale studio interfernece or not, Spidey 3 was awful on Epic proportions. Should he atleast got one more round? Sure I think so but I see Sony's point. Why go with Spidey 4 and then burn down the house, why not burn it down now and start over. Also for the "Keeping the Rights", why wouldn't they? Spidey is a popular franchise, why should Sony just give Disney Spidey money? If Marvel and Disney want some Spidey, they need to folk over the dough so he can be in the Avengers but Sony would be idiotic to give up the rights to a character like Spider-man. At the end of the day Marc Webb was doing music videos not so long ago, now his 2nd film will having one of the highest grosses of 2012.