A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

I think this is a terrible date. Maybe the holidays can carry it.

I don't know why they continue to release action movies on Christmas weekend. It never works out (see: Paycheck, The Spirit, The Darkest Hour, 47 Ronin, Point Break).

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

They should really, really consider moving this to the first or second week in January now that Mena abandoned that spot.  It would do better than the current release date, especially if Passengers is going to be released on time.  

That's kind of a dead zone for movies currently, and I doubt Fox would take a risk on a major tentpole action franchise-starter.

I could see an MLK weekend release.  It'd be in a much more friendly weekend for major releases, and doesn't have much competition outside of xXx, The Lake, and Resident Evil (all of which look to perform poorly)

• Like 2

http://collider.com/michael-fassbender-light-between-oceans-alien-covenant-interview/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I got to see about 15 minutes of Assassin’s Creed, and it really looked cool to me. It looked like this could be the video game movie that really breaks out, in terms of doing it right. Have you seen the finished film? What was your takeaway?

FASSBENDER: Well, this is a film that I will be in the edit on, ‘cause I’m producer on it. So, you know, we’re still working on it, we’re still editing away. I’m very excited by the whole universe of Assassin’s Creed. I wasn’t aware of it until I met the guys from Ubisoft. When they started to tell me the premise behind it and the details of these two different warring factions, I just thought it could be told perfectly through a cinematic medium. So that was five years ago now, been involved in it from the ground up, so I’m really passionate about it. But you know, I feel like we’ve got definitely something very original and thought-provoking in this kind of genre, and we’re very lucky to get Justin Kurzel on board and Marion Cotillard, from the experience that we had on Macbeth, and to get Adam Arkapaw who’s an absolute artist as the DP. So we’re very excited about it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Right now the first Friday of the year is empty (Underworld and Amityville will move for sure).

will they? That date is usually good for horror films. 

I agree that Assassin's Creed should move to MLK weekend. Scheduled on that date right now: Friday the 13th (probably moving), Hidden Figures (dramedy) and Live By Night (crime drama) and MOnster Trucks (family film)  It's good counter-programming and Rogue One's run should be finishing up by that point. Plus there is literally no huge  threats in January (Xander Cage and Resident Evil are both going to underwhelm)

On 2016-08-15 at 3:32 AM, filmlover said:

I don't know why they continue to release action movies on Christmas weekend. It never works out (see: Paycheck, The Spirit, The Darkest Hour, 47 Ronin, Point Break).

They want that Sherlock Holmes effect. Medium-scale action tentpole makes big money in face of a mega-tentpole (in this case Rouge One).