A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

I can't force people to change their minds if they like the music or not.  I hated the score.  The movie didn't have a real theme or at all.  Lots of percussion.  Lots of drums, but all of it just sounded big and chaotic.  I like big, but it never sounded cool and epic.  There was nothing about it I really liked.

Saying there were worse movies or whatever this year, well that's your opinion.  If you somehow liked the movie, then great.  But just because the movie had a budget and some big name actors doesn't mean it's automatically elevated and shouldn't be criticized as much as say Neighbors 2.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Dont wanna speak for anyone but someone messaged me saying they saw a test screening and the ending was very very different. The position of the characters and what seems to be the route for the "sequel" changed this fall 

An ending change wouldn't have fixed this movie's problems.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:56 AM, RedX said:

Just got back from a showing. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the critics are right on saying this is the best video game film to date. Acting from Fassbender, Marion, and Irons really bulster this sucker up. The small intimate moments Fassbender has with other actors is where the movie thrives. Kurzel displays once again a keen and unique visual eye in his direction. Him and Arkapaw are a formidable duo. Jed also nails it again with a phenomenal and bombastic score. But, the film needed defining and fleshing out of key, high concepts for those unfamiliar with the property. It does take initiative to distill the lore into a digestible experience but that may not be sufficient. I thought I would be frustrated with the cutting from present to past but it worked for me. I also think more time should have been allocated to character building. All that said, I'd love to see where they take it from here. 

@trifle Got ya 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trifle said:

Thanks.  I think I'll check it out after Christmas.  I like Fassy.  I've only watched the game over someone's shoulder a few times, but I'm curious why this became such a 'must do' film for Fassbender.

He was really fascinated with the concepts and wanted to produce a franchise like Assassin's Creed from the ground up. Five years of development require a lot of passion. I pity him; It looks to generate disappointing results. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, RedX said:

He was really fascinated with the concepts and wanted to produce a franchise like Assassin's Creed from the ground up. Five years of development require a lot of passion. I pity him; It looks to generate disappointing results. 

Yeah this is a real shame. They really should have delayed this until the script and story were right 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Is IMDB wrong for the first time or AC has two different cuts ?

IMDB still says the movie is 140mn.

I have it at 115mn, which is a big difference.

:thinking:

Yes.  It's 116 minutes.  That's straight from Fox.  There is no 140 minute cut.  Those were fake unconfirmed rumors.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:56 PM, RedX said:

Just got back from a showing. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the critics are right on saying this is the best video game film to date. Acting from Fassbender, Marion, and Irons really bulster this sucker up. The small intimate moments Fassbender has with other actors is where the movie thrives. Kurzel displays once again a keen and unique visual eye in his direction. Him and Arkapaw are a formidable duo. Jed also nails it again with a phenomenal and bombastic score. But, the film needed defining and fleshing out of key, high concepts for those unfamiliar with the property. It does take initiative to distill the lore into a digestible experience but that may not be sufficient. I thought I would be frustrated with the cutting from present to past but it worked for me. I also think more time should have been allocated to character building. All that said, I'd love to see where they take it from here. 

Calling this the best one to date is hardly a big compliment or high praise since it's mainly been a subgenre of box office poison and cinematic trash. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Calling this the best one to date is hardly a big compliment or high praise since it's mainly been a subgenre of box office poison and cinematic trash. 

Ingenious observation! Lol but yeah, I think this is a step forward 

• Like 1

I'm just expecting Resident Evil levels of fun out of this one and if it delivers it I'm fine with that, that's really all I asked of it.

Fun video games adaptations by the way: Mortal Kombat, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, Warcraft.

Max Payne, Street Fighter, Super Mario bros. and Hitman were fun too, in a different kind of way though.

imho

I really wish they'd make a mid-budget version of Diablo 1 with the dispensable heroes dying one by one as they slowly descend into hell. They only really need the main hero to be someone quite famous. A Dwayne The Rock warrior would be the dream.

While the Assassin's Creed games have a great premise, beautiful gameplay and overall high entertainment value, they're not as well written as its fans want you to believe.

And then the film adaptation decides to focus on the aspect of the games that no one cares about. This thing is a disaster for the Assassin's Creed brand. 

So much wasted potential...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PatrickvD said:

While the Assassin's Creed games have a great premise, beautiful gameplay and overall high entertainment value, they're not as well written as its fans want you to believe.

And then the film adaptation decides to focus on the aspect of the games that no one cares about. This thing is a disaster for the Assassin's Creed brand. 

So much wasted potential...

They decided to focus on where the actual story takes place, modern day. The games have neglected that and you often hear outcries of the franchise being pointless as they continue to churn out releases 

• Like 1