A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

4 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

If anything, it makes me respect Disney & Marvel even more, that those guys are able to put consistently good blockbusters out there is kind of insane. So many blockbusters going wrong, there's this great article on Bitter Script Reader by Eric Heisserer (Arrival) talking about the process with big movies, and it's obviously close to the horror stories and production woes we hear about.

Between studio notes, test screenings that sometimes destroy movies, all the cooks in the kitchen, it's a miracle to be able to make a "good" blockbuster movie. I'm sure AC didn't turn out the way Kurzel & Fassbender had intended, there very well could be a good 140 min version of the film somewhere (if the movie indeed sucks, I'll see it for myself), and the complaints: confusing story, thinly written characters, rushed third act just reek of studio notes akin "can't we go faster? ah too boring" or multiple edits after test screenings. 

There's no proof of a mythical 140 minute cut.  It was an unsubstantiated report because of an inaccurate number put out by the Empire Cinemas website.  That number was probably based on adding the trailer and credits to the show time. I exposed this myth.  

Up to 27% at RT, same score as my favorite movie of all time. Good sign.

A lot of reviews make it sound good to me, too. I have a feeling I'll like this movie, and hopefully audiences will too.

"It's just plain fun" Philadelphia Inquirer

"Sufficiently interesting and entertaining" Blog de cine

"You'll have a surprising amount of fun." Nerdist

"Coupled with the Parkour-inspired stunts Kurzel insists on keeping the CGI in check for the feel of an old school adventure and executes the action with a great deal of care and attention to detail." Radio Times

"Sumptuous vistas and top-notch fight work." Empire Magazine

"Classy performances, gorgeous visuals and high concepts." Digital Spy

"This might be the best video game adaptation yet." Independent (UK)

"Refreshing" ScreenCrush

"The best video game movie ever made" indieWIRE

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Up to 27% at RT, same score as my favorite movie of all time. Good sign.

A lot of reviews make it sound good to me, too. I have a feeling I'll like this movie, and hopefully audiences will too.

"It's just plain fun" Philadelphia Inquirer

"Sufficiently interesting and entertaining" Blog de cine

"You'll have a surprising amount of fun." Nerdist

"Coupled with the Parkour-inspired stunts Kurzel insists on keeping the CGI in check for the feel of an old school adventure and executes the action with a great deal of care and attention to detail." Radio Times

"Sumptuous vistas and top-notch fight work." Empire Magazine

"Classy performances, gorgeous visuals and high concepts." Digital Spy

"This might be the best video game adaptation yet." Independent (UK)

"Refreshing" ScreenCrush

"The best video game movie ever made" indieWIRE

Nothing wrong with enjoying Annie every now and again.

v1.bTsxMTE4MDUyODtqOzE3Mjc0OzEyMDA7MjAyN

• Like 2

Oooh, it's time to pick and choose and parse quotes until they sound laudatory.  I'll play.

It's astounding

Spoiler

how the movie completely misses the appeal of the games.

Spoiler

Perhaps all of this will be

thrilling

Spoiler

for fans who've played it. The rest of us, I imagine, may come out of this film invigorated with a creed of our own: Avoid movies based on video games.

Assassin's Creed slays me: I have rarely had so much fun

Spoiler

watching something so stupid.

The symbol of freedom it repeatedly references is a soaring eagle

Spoiler

, but the movie itself is a dead duck.

Spoiler

For everyone who thought Dan Brown's conspiracy novels were just lacking a spot of parkour,

Assassin's Creed might be your favourite film of the year
Spoiler

. But for the clinically sane 99.9 percent of the rest of us, it's rather less exciting.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

So what will be the boxoffice headlines this weekend?

Assassin assassinates himself?

Deadline: "Assassin's Creed: What Went Wrong?"

Article: An insider told us, "I don't get it. We had Ubisoft. We had a big budget. We had a legitimate cast of Award Winners?! You should've seen it! We gave everything from the game in it and gave something gamers never get from these movies!"

Just got back from a showing. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the critics are right on saying this is the best video game film to date. Acting from Fassbender, Marion, and Irons really bulster this sucker up. The small intimate moments Fassbender has with other actors is where the movie thrives. Kurzel displays once again a keen and unique visual eye in his direction. Him and Arkapaw are a formidable duo. Jed also nails it again with a phenomenal and bombastic score. But, the film needed defining and fleshing out of key, high concepts for those unfamiliar with the property. It does take initiative to distill the lore into a digestible experience but that may not be sufficient. I thought I would be frustrated with the cutting from present to past but it worked for me. I also think more time should have been allocated to character building. All that said, I'd love to see where they take it from here. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Are you assuming a 4x multiplier for the domestic...?? Don't get me wrong...You do know the RT score of this movie right???

With it opening Wednesday a 14M 3-day could mean close to 30 for the full opening. December multipliers can be crazy, but that wouldn't be too out of the norm.

35 minutes ago, DAJK said:

With it opening Wednesday a 14M 3-day could mean close to 30 for the full opening. December multipliers can be crazy, but that wouldn't be too out of the norm.

Being just around 2000 votes in, It already has an IMDB score below 8 , which indicates that even the fanboys are sick of this piece of hard work. The movie is DONE. 

53 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Being just around 2000 votes in, It already has an IMDB score below 8 , which indicates that even the fanboys are sick of this piece of hard work. The movie is DONE. 

Lol, what's up with you and this movie? You seem to just hate it's mere existence. Which is quite silly considering the talent it involves. Are you a fan of the games?  

• Like 1

The general criticism I've seen from a few reviewers is that the stuff in the past is good fun and a good movie, but it's the real world stuff that drags it down. It seems they took the worst parts of the game and made them the main part of the movie, which just seems stupid.

Spoiler

I don't know if this is a spoiler, it's a big part of the game, and all the reviewers have all mentioned it, but anyway why introduce the Apple so early?? It took multiple games to really even introduce the apple, seems the movie could've done with the same tactic.

21 minutes ago, James said:

Lol, what's up with you and this movie? You seem to just hate it's mere existence. Which is quite silly considering the talent it involves. Are you a fan of the games?  

I don't hate this movie. I am not a fan of the games. I just feel sorry for the fans though. Hollywood, as usual, botched another popular and potential property. And, I am getting sick of the trend of Hollywood screwing up franchises (Ghostbusters, Star Trek , TMNT , DCEU, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, etc.). This needs to stop if we don't want the only live-action tentpole movies to be either Marvel or Star Wars. If we want Hollywood to stop, first, they need to hear our voices. And, I am just trying to make my voice loud enough.   

• Like 2