The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Actually, I paid attention to the stock exchange raid during my second viewing. It was actually dusk. All the street lights were on from when they showed outside shots. Although given it was a 10 minute window the change from dusk to darkness did seem a little rushed.

Noctis said it best, this is a bloated film with way too many fillers that could have been trimmed. It disappointed me. I'll say more later.6/10

• Like 1

When Bane went into the stock exchange, it was clearly daytime. When him and his crew escaped, and the chase started it was still daytime. A few minutes later, It was like midnight.

Yeah that was weird.

Actually, I paid attention to the stock exchange raid during my second viewing. It was actually dusk. All the street lights were on from when they showed outside shots. Although given it was a 10 minute window the change from dusk to darkness did seem a little rushed.

I thought the same at first, but it was clearly the final bell when they broke into the stock exchange. It was also winter, which quickly turns into night. When they did cut back to Gordon though, it was still dusk.

No. It would have been around October(plus there was the football game) as there was snow on the ground 84 days into the siege. Still, it was clearly dusk.

Edited by DeeCee

Did it annoy anyone else that Bruce quit being Batman after TDK? I found that quite out of character and it kind of diminishes the emotional impact of the ending of TDK. Bruce decided to become Batman after his parents were killed, yet he stops being Batman after another loved one is killed? Hmm.

The more I think about it, I like the great stuff more and I like the bad stuff less. There are a lot of strong individual scenes but they didn't quite come together as well as they should have. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow and firmly deciding my feelings on it. Right now I can say that it's one of the better third movies I've seen but it's not the masterpiece I was kind of hoping for.

The problem I found a lot of a time with this was that, when it reached a high, it was brilliant, but they never lasted very long. It just went back down to a low. So it kind of averages itself out as good film. But not on the level of TDK.Still. I'm expecting a totally different second viewing.

Didn't bother me at all. The point of the end of TDK was that Dent couldn't be the bad guy, that if people found out what he had done the city would struggle to rebuild. Dent had to be the hero, the white knight, and for that to happen batman had to be the bad guy, the dark knight. The one they hunted. With Dent the hero, the introduction of the Dent Act, the city was able to become a safer place. Organized crime was crushed and there was no need for Batman. What was Batman going to do if the regular police had control of the city? Hunt down unreturned library books?

Mark Kermode really liked the film, and he was quite cool on TDK. He seemed to really enjoy the intense plotting that forced you to play catch up. I'd need another viewing to decide whether I agree with him or not. I think at the moment my only real problems with the film are that it dragged when Bale wasn't onscreen in the middle and the whole bomb plot felt tired, even if its resolution was nice.

• Like 2

Didn't bother me at all. The point of the end of TDK was that Dent couldn't be the bad guy, that if people found out what he had done the city would struggle to rebuild. Dent had to be the hero, the white knight, and for that to happen batman had to be the bad guy, the dark knight. The one they hunted. With Dent the hero, the introduction of the Dent Act, the city was able to become a safer place. Organized crime was crushed and there was no need for Batman. What was Batman going to do if the regular police had control of the city? Hunt down unreturned library books?

Are we really supposed to buy that Gotham was perfectly under control? There's always a need for Batman.I always thought the ending of TDK was so powerful because he took the fall yes, but that he was going to continue to fight to save the city despite the fact that he'd never recieve any sense of gratitude. That really moved me. Maybe I misinterpreted that but that's what I took away from TDK.

It wasn't Winter at that point in the film?

No. It would have been around October(plus there was the football game) as there was snow on the ground 84 days into the siege. Still, it was clearly dusk.

Ok, even in October. Daylight savings causes us to "fall back" which means it gets darker earlier

One of my biggest problems with the film involved the late 'bridge scene'. I'm sorry but the motivation of the cop that stops them from crossing is just so off. Just seems like a weak attempt at driving home a 'I was just following orders' theme. I mean seriously....how does the rest of country sealing off Gotham make any sense? So the Nuke goes off because you attempted to sneak people out....why would someone be blamed for that? The whole thing is just silly, and it's typical 'the viewer only cares about the characters we have shown them' heavy handedness from Hollywood. IMO it would have been more dramatic if Blake is getting survivors off the island at that point since it gives him something to do and we should still care about everyone else in Gotham right?