Moviedweeb

Special effects driven films that still hold up

Terminator 2 still looks like it could've been released today IMO, and 2001 isn't about the visuals IMO. Avatar will undoubtebly age but I doubt it will ever get to the point of being "bad". The LotR films still look fantastic a decade later.

• Like 1

Terminator 2 still looks like it could've been released today IMO, and 2001 isn't about the visuals IMO. Avatar will undoubtebly age but I doubt it will ever get to the point of being "bad". The LotR films still look fantastic a decade later.

2001 is a visual masterpiece but obviously there is so much more. It's the depth and implications of the story that make it so mind blowing (not the visuals). I still think it is visually stunning to such a high degree and there is a reason it has influenced so much that has followed (both visually and dramatically).

Star Wars 4, 5, 6?

Absolutely brilliant visually and even watching today it gives me goosebumps. I think 2001 and T2 are more timeless in terms of their special effects though. Not that you mentioned but I think Toy Story still looks awesome despite the huge advances in computer animation.

This is all subjective, but usually practical effects tend to hold much better than CGI, and simple CGI tend to hold better than complicated ones.

I agree. For me, the best CGI is where you don't even know you're looking at an effect. Like Lt. Dan's legs in Forrest Gump.
  • Like 1